Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2601124 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #5460 on: September 14, 2017, 07:03:42 am »
This one hurts.

Grant Hart of Husker Du.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5461 on: September 14, 2017, 07:40:30 am »
yup fuck Cancer... Jessi Zazu singer for Those Darlins also passed away due to cancer, she was only 28 :(
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #5462 on: September 14, 2017, 08:16:17 am »
That party lori barbero threw for grant was pure class

« Reply #5463 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58:07 am »
This one hurts.
Grant Hart of Husker Du.
man that sucks...

bob mould posted this...

It was the Fall of 1978. I was attending Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. One block from my dormitory was a tiny store called Cheapo Records. There was a PA system set up near the front door blaring punk rock. I went inside and ended up hanging out with the only person in the shop. His name was Grant Hart.

The next nine years of my life was spent side-by-side with Grant. We made amazing music together. We (almost) always agreed on how to present our collective work to the world. When we fought about the details, it was because we both cared. The band was our life. It was an amazing decade.

We stopped working together in January 1988. We went on to solo careers, fronting our own bands, finding different ways to tell our individual stories. We stayed in contact over the next 29 years — sometimes peaceful, sometimes difficult, sometimes through go-betweens. For better or worse, that’s how it was, and occasionally that’s what it is when two people care deeply about everything they built together.

The tragic news of Grant’s passing was not unexpected to me. My deepest condolences and thoughts to Grant’s family, friends, and fans around the world.

Grant Hart was a gifted visual artist, a wonderful story teller, and a frighteningly talented musician. Everyone touched by his spirit will always remember.

Godspeed, Grant. I miss you. Be with the angels.
slack

hutch

« Reply #5464 on: September 14, 2017, 09:27:56 am »
Sometimes saying nothing is the better course....it is a shame Mould and Hart couldnt work things out...

I wonder if Bob Mould was invited to the "going away" party Lori threw for Grant a few months ago at First Avenue...

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5465 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:31 am »
Sometimes saying nothing is the better course....it is a shame Mould and Hart couldnt work things out...

I wonder if Bob Mould was invited to the "going away" party Lori threw for Grant a few months ago at First Avenue...

A death sentence has a way of making someone get their affairs in order, and I suspect Grant's cancer hastened the effort to get HD's catalog reissued.
😐 🎶

bearman🐻

« Reply #5466 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:04 am »

A death sentence has a way of making someone get their affairs in order, and I suspect Grant's cancer hastened the effort to get HD's catalog reissued.

Sometimes, time and the wisdom that can come with age will enable people to put some acrimonious feelings in the past. I would never speak for Bob or Greg, but I would imagine they can look back and understand that their musical legacy is not something to shy away from. It is something to embrace because what they did is significant. They deserve that respect. I get the sense that they all decided a while ago to become more civil (especially when SST owed them a ton of money...hey, sometimes we need a catalyst), but that's not something you blast out over social media. Especially now, none of the drama matters. What's the point. The music is really what matters. I only met Grant once. He was jocular and pleasant. He seemed grateful. It's not enough to know who he is, but I'm still sad because he was really gifted and I enjoyed his music. I know a lot of folks don't understand why it's sad when "famous" people die. But when music becomes personal, it's really difficult to isolate the emotions you feel from the person who created it. Because something they're saying resonates with you. The lyrics to "Flexible Flyer" always did it for me.

Down on my Flexible Flyer
To the bottom, how fast I would go
Just waiting for me under the tree
And out in the snow

A cowboy, a nurse or a fireman
There's so many things that you can be
You can set bigger goals, but set your soul
Yeah, set your soul free

Times, places and situations
Lead us to an early grave
When we get there we see
Just what did we save?

If your heart is a flame burning brightly
You'll have light and you'll never grow cold
And soon you will know that you just grow
You're not growing old

If the wheels of your wagon are rusty
You can paint them until they are new
You can roll down a hill, but if you can't
Then I pity you

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #5467 on: September 14, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
I found more comfort at age 14 in Zen Arcade than any other record ever in my life.  It literally changed my whole world!  People say all the time that this or that record changed their lives.  Zen Arcade was that one for me, and it's never NOT been in regular rotation for more than 30 years. 

And NOBODY ever sounded like Greg Grant behind the kit.  His drumming style was so strange....it sometimes had this strange, loping shuffle to it, either right behind or right in front of the rest of the band.  Taken on it's own it didn't really make sense to me, but it just fucking worked.  And his songs had soul and heart....all right out there.  This was crushing news to hear this morning.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:40:26 pm by chaz »

Yada

« Reply #5468 on: September 14, 2017, 11:41:58 am »

And NOBODY ever sounded like Greg Grant behind the kit.   

Space Freely

« Reply #5469 on: September 14, 2017, 12:07:21 pm »
Troy Gentry of Montgomery Gentry.

evilizac

« Reply #5470 on: September 14, 2017, 12:17:52 pm »
yup fuck Cancer... Jessi Zazu singer for Those Darlins also passed away due to cancer, she was only 28 :(

Not sure if this has been discussed at all, but I wonder if so many musicians die younger and younger of cancer partly because of a lack of medical insurance. I know the ACA has been talked about helping some musicians, but there are still costs in many cases. Also it may be something in the "artist type" to ignore early symptoms or signs that at least seeing a GP regularly might help. These folks are also usually more on the cult or inspiration tier of musicians. . . thinking back: Warren Zevon (Cancer), Alex Chilton (Heart Attack), Grant Hart and the more recent spate of younger artists who have dropped. Obviously universal healthcare isn't a panacea, but maybe if as a nation we were indoctrinated early about seeking regular health care there would be less untimely disease (and health malady) caused deaths.   
WHAT?

Yada

« Reply #5471 on: September 14, 2017, 12:39:52 pm »

Not sure if this has been discussed at all, but I wonder if so many musicians die younger and younger of cancer partly because of a lack of medical insurance. I know the ACA has been talked about helping some musicians, but there are still costs in many cases. Also it may be something in the "artist type" to ignore early symptoms or signs that at least seeing a GP regularly might help. These folks are also usually more on the cult or inspiration tier of musicians. . . thinking back: Warren Zevon (Cancer), Alex Chilton (Heart Attack), Grant Hart and the more recent spate of younger artists who have dropped. Obviously universal healthcare isn't a panacea, but maybe if as a nation we were indoctrinated early about seeking regular health care there would be less untimely disease (and health malady) caused deaths.   

I don't think there is any correlation. I think a shit load of people just die of cancer in general.

hutch

« Reply #5472 on: September 14, 2017, 01:01:55 pm »
totally agree.. a shitload of people in their 50s die from cancer.. i mean somebody is getting pancreatic/liver/bile duct cancer.. and that is almost guaranteed painful slow death...

my good friend died from bile duct cancer about two and a half years ago...it was hard to watch and be around as he wasted away.... oh, yeah.. he was an attorney.

Space Freely

« Reply #5473 on: September 14, 2017, 03:00:05 pm »
totally agree.. a shitload of people in their 50s die from cancer.. i mean somebody is getting pancreatic/liver/bile duct cancer.. and that is almost guaranteed painful slow death...

my good friend died from bile duct cancer about two and a half years ago...it was hard to watch and be around as he wasted away.... oh, yeah.. he was an attorney.

Plus, and I'm not saying this judgmentally, a lot of musicians lead lifestyles that probably leave them more susceptible to dying young. More so that the general population.

herman otto

« Reply #5474 on: September 14, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »
If you have eaten food grown in America over the past 20 years, then f*** yeah you're getting cancer. Monsanto, bitches.