Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2548206 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #8100 on: August 24, 2021, 03:25:30 pm »
C'mon man - Keith Moon!

I was born in 1967. Are you guys saying I may have been named after members of the Stones and the Who? Thanks for making me feel better about myself!

It seems more likely my parents would have named me after Pat Boone or Fabian. Or maybe Hank Williams if I were lucky,

knowing you IRL: i know that your first name isn't keith... is it your middle name?
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #8101 on: August 24, 2021, 03:40:22 pm »
C'mon man - Keith Moon!

I was born in 1967. Are you guys saying I may have been named after members of the Stones and the Who? Thanks for making me feel better about myself!

It seems more likely my parents would have named me after Pat Boone or Fabian. Or maybe Hank Williams if I were lucky,

knowing you IRL: i know that your first name isn't keith... is it your middle name?

I hope this is as personal as this thread gets for me for a good 40 years (can we go back to dead people?) but yes, I think you missed the initial comment:

By the way, my middle name is "Keith" and I hate it. Keith Richards is about the only cool thing about the name (imo), so I'm going to call him Keith, not Keef.

And no offense meant toward the boardie who named their kid "Keith." It obviously works for some people, I've just never liked it for myself. Then again, my brother's middle name is "Glen." I'll take Keith over Glen no matter how many rhinestones you give me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:44:07 pm by Space Freely »

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #8102 on: August 24, 2021, 04:45:31 pm »
C'mon man - Keith Moon!

I hope this is as personal as this thread gets for me for a good 40 years (can we go back to dead people?) but yes, I think you missed the initial comment:

By the way, my middle name is "Keith" and I hate it. Keith Richards is about the only cool thing about the name (imo), so I'm going to call him Keith, not Keef.

And no offense meant toward the boardie who named their kid "Keith." It obviously works for some people, I've just never liked it for myself. Then again, my brother's middle name is "Glen." I'll take Keith over Glen no matter how many rhinestones you give me.

Lucy Dacus had a Keith related tweet the other day. https://twitter.com/lucydacus/status/1429640387895959552?s=20      which was shared with me by one of my sorta stepdaughters.

Starsky

« Reply #8103 on: August 24, 2021, 04:47:14 pm »
Carry on

« Reply #8104 on: August 24, 2021, 07:33:17 pm »
C'mon man - Keith Moon!

Lucy Dacus had a Keith related tweet the other day. https://twitter.com/lucydacus/status/1429640387895959552?s=20      which was shared with me by one of my sorta stepdaughters.
This response made me giggle and think of space (was actually at this show)

I saw Wilco at Berkeley Greek Theatre in 2008 & sat in front of a family of four who did needlepoint (or crocheting?) in between bands & sat down the whole time. They yelled at me for standing up during “Spiders;” I just yelled back “It’s rock & roll, I’m sorry, I’m gonna stand.”
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8105 on: August 24, 2021, 08:35:02 pm »
C'mon man - Keith Moon!

This response made me giggle and think of space (was actually at this show)

I saw Wilco at Berkeley Greek Theatre in 2008 & sat in front of a family of four who did needlepoint (or crocheting?) in between bands & sat down the whole time. They yelled at me for standing up during “Spiders;” I just yelled back “It’s rock & roll, I’m sorry, I’m gonna stand.”

Did you have a rock and roll hairstyle back then?

« Reply #8106 on: August 24, 2021, 08:59:16 pm »
Unfortunately have been going bald since the nineties…. So like eno or phil colins
slack

Starsky

« Reply #8107 on: August 25, 2021, 10:53:23 am »
Woke up still floored by the fact Charlie Watts no longer lives…trying to come to terms

For me the grim news means a world where The Rolling Stones are no longer a band. Although I doubt Keith and Mick will hang up the business concern part… This is a very rare case I wish they would. But nobody is asking me to pass on hundreds of millions of dollars or hang up what no doubt keeps them going and what they live and love to do. In other words I understand why they probably will keep going.

Others are able to better put in words what Charlie meant to the band. I think he brought a big element of hipness, cool and class to the group. In addition, of course, to a swing or jazz element and sensibility to the drums themselves. This is hard to qualify for a non musician but the Stones could never have worked with a John Bonham or Keith Moon…one shudders even imagining it. He was also a steady and calming presence in a band that at many points seemed more like an out of control storm. A most necessary centering presence. Charlie Watts always seemed like a man among boys…. The grown up in the band. He was of course a few years older and looked the part choosing (maybe he had no choice) to age gracefully.

While I saw the band four times and am grateful for that I will always regret not seeing Charlie Watts playing jazz in a small club and getting to meet him. It’s just that my own love of jazz came a bit too late to make that a reality.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8108 on: August 25, 2021, 11:29:12 am »
Well put. I dug through my stubs today to pull out some memories.

« Reply #8109 on: August 25, 2021, 11:39:36 am »
almost never hear him speak...here was a great clip that was posted
https://fb.watch/7C7qIK678k/

fried of mine drew a great image too
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:41:35 am by Sigma-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8110 on: August 25, 2021, 01:36:50 pm »
almost never hear him speak...here was a great clip that was posted
https://fb.watch/7C7qIK678k/

fried of mine drew a great image too

I mean, I wouldn’t call this “great”. The head is WAY too big compared to the body and the nose is comically oversized. This is an “ok” image but the artist really needs to work on scale and perception.
LVMH

« Reply #8111 on: August 25, 2021, 01:48:49 pm »
ok jules, lets see your stick figure drawing of charlie
slack

Starsky

« Reply #8112 on: August 25, 2021, 01:52:06 pm »
Did they even draw it? I think they put a picture in some program and out it pops out?

I like it myself…overemphasis on features is very common in caricature

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8113 on: August 25, 2021, 02:01:34 pm »
ok jules, lets see your stick figure drawing of charlie
I mean, if this helps you in your grieving process, sure, man.

LVMH

« Reply #8114 on: August 25, 2021, 02:02:50 pm »
Did they even draw it?
actually I don't know the answer...I assumed he did as he's an excellent artist
I do think julie was being facetious
slack