Author Topic: Mogwai Roll Call  (Read 6399 times)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
Re: Mogwai Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 03:27:00 pm »
we definitely already run a daycare center.

babies and drunks have a lot in common:  they can't communicate their wants and needs directly, they stumble around a lot, they throw up and soil their pants,  they cry and fuss when they don't get what they want, they require constant supervision, and so on.  

all of my work experience that isn't in my current field is actually in childcare.  my degree is a general one, but my focus was always on developmental psych.  i don't think the club would want me taking on any little charges throughout the night, though.  might be an insurance risk to have me running in to break up a fight or something with a kid strapped to my back.

slowgraffiti

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 09:18:00 pm »
i had no idea it was going to be npr'd... i guess i don't have to feel as bad about missing it now.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 09:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:
  i had no idea it was going to be npr'd... i guess i don't have to feel as bad about missing it now.
Oh, cool. Same here. Really wanted to go but just couldn't work it out.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:
  me running in to break up a fight or something with a kid strapped to my back.
What a beautiful image!

Know exactly how you feel. As you know, I use to teach Art but I also use to tend bar. Use to always say that they were very much alike in some ways, except that bartending is so much easier. For one thing, if a bar patron gets out of hand and tells you to 'fuck off', you can tell them to 'fuck off' right back (though not the ideal option) and have them put out. However, if a student tells you to 'fuck off', in this day and age, odds are that there's not a damn thing that you can do about it. Of the two, give me the bartending job any day of the week!

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 06:13:00 am »
Originally posted by distance:
  i know the 930 is smoking, but the low ceiling helps the smoke to just hang there and that just makes it worse.  the sonar show was the least enjoyable of the mogwai shows i saw on the spring tour.
...by the way, on that note, did the smoking ban go into affect at 9:30?  i haven't been at the club in a few weeks, but the last two shows i was at were both non-smoking, and it was kind of weird...two in a row...so, are they ALL non-smoking now?

dyssocial

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 10:29:00 am »
There were definitely people smoking near me...

andyrichter

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:

Originally posted by distance:
  i know the 930 is smoking, but the low ceiling helps the smoke to just hang there and that just makes it worse.  the sonar show was the least enjoyable of the mogwai shows i saw on the spring tour.
...by the way, on that note, did the smoking ban go into affect at 9:30?  i haven't been at the club in a few weeks, but the last two shows i was at were both non-smoking, and it was kind of weird...two in a row...so, are they ALL non-smoking now? [/b]
I believe the ban goes into effect starting next year.  The shows you went to, the bands probably requested that.

nkotb

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 11:05:00 am »
This is all very interesting, but does anyone care to comment on the music?  I couldn't make it last night due to no cash, no energy and Lost, but if the best part of the show was the lack of smoking, I guess I'm glad I stayed home.

Sage 703

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 11:26:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  This is all very interesting, but does anyone care to comment on the music?  I couldn't make it last night due to no cash, no energy and Lost, but if the best part of the show was the lack of smoking, I guess I'm glad I stayed home.
I thought it was okay.  Not blown away, but I'm not a big Mogwai fan.  The feedback solo at the end was a bit indulgent and definitely excessively loud.  But overall I enjoyed it.

snailhook

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 11:53:00 am »
The feedback solo at the end was a bit indulgent and definitely excessively loud.[/b]
in this instance, a bit indulgent and definitely excessively loud = transcendent music experience

last night was the best mogwai set i've seen since at least the 2002 ottobar show. they were loud, sure, but it was always under control...until the end, where i got a free anal massage by sitting on a stool as the low frequencies rumbled through the club's floors and walls. the setlist was great, a perfect mixture of classic older material and the best of the new. another new addition to the show was the active use of stage lighting; whereas before, mogwai played under static, dark lights, now they're utilizing strobes and movement, all done tastefully (though the strobes might have been a bit too intense for some, i didn't mind them).

jack rose played wonderfully for 40 minutes, but the crowd wouldn't shut the fuck up (not that this has any accurate correlation, but i noticed the mogwai crowd being much younger than it used to be). if people were quiet, they might've realized the masterful performance unraveling before their eyes, but then again, most of these people want to see something rock, not some delicately played solo 12-string guitar. seeing jack at my house or the warehouse next door is infinitely better than at the 9:30 club, but it was stil cool to see him on that big stage. fortunately for jack, he said the monitors were so good that they canceled out a lot of crowd chatter, allowing him to concentrate on his playing.

bishop88

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »
Well said- the set list was phenomenal, and a great blend of old and new.  "See Mogwai play Christmas Steps live" can now be crossed off my 'Must Do Before I Die' list.  A couple of questions for the crowd:

1) Does anyone know where I can get the set list for the show?

2) I heard from someone in the crowd that you can sometimes d/l 9:30 Club shows.  Does anyone know where I could get the Mogwai show so I can re-live the splendor for all eternity?

matts

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by bishop88:
  Well said- the set list was phenomenal, and a great blend of old and new.  "See Mogwai play Christmas Steps live" can now be crossed off my 'Must Do Before I Die' list.  A couple of questions for the crowd:

1) Does anyone know where I can get the set list for the show?

2) I heard from someone in the crowd that you can sometimes d/l 9:30 Club shows.  Does anyone know where I could get the Mogwai show so I can re-live the splendor for all eternity?
The show, and others, can be downloaded or streamed at the 'all songs considered' portion of the NPR website.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5384035

Last night was a truly great show.

bishop88

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »
Matts, you rock.

Thanks for the URL.

danknugz

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »
i was gonna tape last night, but i've been kinda sick and didnt want my cough all over the tape. luckily, NPR did the work for me, and came up with a better result than i could have.

lbcardoni

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 04:00:00 pm »
The feedback solo at the end was a bit indulgent and definitely excessively loud  
Was that jus feedback or My Father My King?

When they played the club in 2001, they ended with that track and you could hear it perfectly all the way to U Street.  Didn't they blow out the sound system?