Author Topic: Travis  (Read 5650 times)

lily1

Re: Travis
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »
travis sold out? now that's a surprise. i was expecting it to be maybe 3/4 full.

Heroboy

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »
I've been a fan since hearing The Man Who in '99, but I honestly have liked something about all of their albums.  It's funny, my least favorite is Good Feeling, and my favorite is 12 Memories (or it's tied with TMW).  12m just seemed darker to me, and I liked that coming from a band like Travis who I picture as a "happy" band.  The change was welcome, in my opinion.

But I guess I just like them too much to ever dislike them.   :)
~J.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »
i was gonna go, but Voxtrot rescheduled for Tuesday and i dont feel like going to 2 shows in a row (i know, i turn 30 and this!!)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 01:41:00 am »
Travis played an awesome show tonight in nyc. they were playing back to back sold out shows, and someone complained on the travis website (from the sat night show) saying it wasnt long enough at 90 mins running time, so he assured us we'd get a longer set. woohoo! they played for about an hour and 45 mins. It reminded me of a 'best of' show, but Fran and the band were definitely having a blast. They even did a reprise (which they never do) of 'Selfish Jean'. I wont spoil it for the DC show, in case it happens, but if not remind me to tell everyone about it after the fact.

Show was insanely packed and us in the front were all nearly about to collapse. No AC/fans, so Fran started bringing crates of water on stage and throwing it out to us. Was pretty nice. Wanted to make sure no one lost a spot, but also that no one passed out. There was a lot of talking between songs with him going on about his family, his new baby and the song "My Eyes" which was written when he found out he was going to be a papa.

Andy was really into it and jumped into the crowd at one point. The opening of the set is fun (which I wont say more on, in case its the same).  They also did mention they'd be back again soon, but it was meant more as we'd be back sooner than the past time (ie 4 years).

Set list consisted of the following (and this is off the top of my head) - note: Peace the Fuck Out was not played.

Selfish jean x2
 closer, battleships, my eyes, sing, turn, side, flowers in the window, why does it always rain on me, humpty dumpty love song (encore), driftwood, writing to reach you, pipe dreams, love will come through, all i want to do is rock, eyes wide open (i think)

and to top off the night, as we were walking out of the fillmore (irving plaza), we all got free posters from the show.   :D
HeyLa

bearman🐻

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 08:28:00 am »
No "U16 Girls", "Good Feeling", "Tied to the 90's", or even "Happy"? Hum.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 08:42:00 am »
They used to sell out in 3 days or so. This one sold out the day before the show!

Originally posted by lily1:
  travis sold out? now that's a surprise. i was expecting it to be maybe 3/4 full.
(_|_)

montythisseemsstrangetome

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:00 am »
peace the fcuk out has got to be one of the worst songs ever written. that song is such a pansy tune.
this is just a silly opinion. one thing if you hate the song, but c'mon, travis isn't exactly industrial rock. pansy?! which one of their songs isn't?

floyd1975

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 11:15:00 am »
Originally posted by wanderlust featuring j. marshmallow:
  They used to sell out in 3 days or so. This one sold out the day before the show!

Originally posted by lily1:
[/b]
This is just an honest question but were they always that expensive?  $40 isn't terrible but it is on the high end for shows at the 9:30 Club.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 11:22:00 am »
traditonal question: anyone have an opinion on the opener, John Paul White?  worth catching? (worth ka-tching...)
<sig>

montythisseemsstrangetome

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 11:23:00 am »
This is just an honest question but were they always that expensive? $40 isn't terrible but it is on the high end for shows at the 9:30 Club.

this is true - i heard the show in philly was high 20'. the show in orlando at the end of the month is 20 also.

but i have noticed slightly higher prices w/ the 9:30  recently.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 11:49:00 am »
maybe someone is gearing up for a new mercedes...
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by montythisseemsstrangetome:
What I've been saying.

I mean this in the best and most naive way possible: but tell me why Travis is so good or why you like them? I went to their last club show and I walked away [still] neutral. Perhaps I'm listening to other similar music that grabs my attention more.

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  maybe someone is gearing up for a new mercedes...
Mama just got a new BMW!  That's what the beer prices were about.
27>34

alex

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:

Originally posted by montythisseemsstrangetome:
What I've been saying.[/b]
Nerdy economical answer:
 The 930 club is adjusting to proper market-level prices to balance supply/demand.  If they were cheaper, the show would sell out faster, leading to scalping.  

Scalpers, as loathesome as we find them, are basically third party vendors who sell tickets at market value when the original vendor failed to set prices high enough.

At $40, the vendor (930 Club/Tickets.com) nearly perfected the balance.  You may have found them to be too expensive to you, but 900 or so other people did not, and slowly drained the available supply just days before the show.  Scalpers lost out, because they didn't have time to turn the product around, and the fans who decided that this show was worth $40 to them are the winners.

Reactionary music fan answer:
 THOSE GREEDY BASTARDS!!!!1

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  No "U16 Girls", "Good Feeling", "Tied to the 90's", or even "Happy"? Hum.
like i said - i was guessing (trying to remember) all the songs. I found another setlist somewhere else, and they played good feeling, possibly happy?

i know u16 girls was not played (but its possible it was played on sat night). im not sure how much the set lists varied for NYC (remember it was 2 nights here).

here is what i found (dont know how accurate this is - sounds about right)

Selfish Jean
 Eyes Wide Open
 Writing to Reach You
 Love Will Come Through
 As You Are
 Pipe Dreams
 Reoffender
 Big Chair
 My Eyes
 Side
 Driftwood
 Good Feeling