Author Topic: Is Rhett the DCeiver?  (Read 2799 times)

Re: Is Rhett the DCeiver?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
Here's one for ya.

The new Old 97's record will barely make my top 10 for the year.

Albums that will be ahead of it include albums that could fall into the genre categories of country, jazz, rock, and folk...probably a much more diverse array of music than the latest news on Fiona Apple and the other narrow breadth of music that is covered by Big Yawn.

And don't worry. Other than the Drive By Truckers, your taste pretty much sucks.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by redsock:
 It's interesting, no one wants to read an Old 97's review by someone who doesn't listen to or like alt-country, but at the same time, no one wants to read a review by someone who is a fan of the band. So who should write the review? This is an honest question...

I would trust an Old-97s review written by Pollard, Grotty, NKOTB or Thirsty over one written by Rhett any day of the week.  I think all those guys are knowledgable about a broad range of music and would give a balanced opinion.

The GBV album may be very good, but I also know that a guy who refers to himself as "Pollard" on an internet message board may not provide the most objective opinion on that album.

Originally posted by redsock:
 We are less than one year old... and are still growing and learning. When one of you takes the time and money out of your life to run a site like this, let's talk. Until then, by all means criticize or praise us, I don't give a fuck. But don't for a second think you know any better than us.
OK.

Never mind.

Carry on. [/b]

thirsty moore

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 05:21:00 pm »
Hey, while you're at it... I think I can find most of the stuff you write about here.

Let the trash talking commence!

Originally posted by Fabby:
  Yawnie, by all means, grow, learn.

thirsty moore

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 05:22:00 pm »
I was talking about the EP, but then I remembered I also reviewed their full length.  So you are correct.

I recall you talking them up pretty early in the game and didn't think the reviews appeared until later.

ggw

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
Just to show I'm not exclusively picking on BigYawn....where does a guy whose blog is pink and twelve shades of gray get off criticizing another site's layout?

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
  The GBV album may be very good, but I also know that a guy who refers to himself as "Pollard" on an internet message board may not provide the most objective opinion on that album.

I don't know what you are talking about, it is a Greatest Hits disc by the greatest band ever.  Is there really any point being objective, I mean, those are facts.

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 05:30:00 pm »
  Just to show I'm not exclusively picking on BigYawn....where does a guy whose blog is pink and twelve shades of gray get off criticizing another site's layout?
plus, its a blogspot blog, weaaaaaaaaaaaaak

learn some programming!

ggw

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
 I don't know what you are talking about, it is a Greatest Hits disc by the greatest band ever.  Is there really any point being objective, I mean, those are facts.
You showed admirable restraint and critical impartiality in not rewarding it the 11.0 Zs it heartily deserved.

eltee

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 05:32:00 pm »
"Pick the four people who have the nastiest and most opinionated perspectives who can also deliver the column inches."
 I disagree. Don't we have enough crankiness in this town? Really. Also, creatively sarcastic or commentary is cool, but I don't need someone's ego to sound "hip" to overshadow a review.

"Thirty-two writers?"
 Not all live in this area. Not all contribute daily. Therefore, it helps to have an overage of writers for, well, the situations that incur w/ a publication (writers who have other jobs and deadlines, procrastinators, etc.).

eltee

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 05:34:00 pm »
LOL I was reading the page at work hoping it looked like "work" - the pink didn't fly...

fabluece

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 05:41:00 pm »
Heck, Big Yawn, issa free cuntry.  Have 32 reviewers to water everything down with.  And, yeah, bring in every out-of-towner you can lay hands on.  That'll help the local music scene.

Above all, I look forward to your ego-free stance on reviewing!  Because the best rock critics TOTALLY check their ego at the door!  The next time I bump into Greil Marcus, I'll dump a bucket of calves blood over his head and call him a fascist!

Viva la bland.

redsock

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 05:47:00 pm »
I promised myself I wouldn't indulge in this crap... I made the mistake of ranting a tad earlier and shouldn't have. It's a waste of my time, and won't happen again.

eltee

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 05:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fabby:
  That'll help the local music scene.

Above all, I look forward to your ego-free stance on reviewing!
I didn't say the out of towners are focusing on local scene. Somebody should though.

The ego-free stance opinion is my own. I tend to get tired of jerky sarcasm. Creative sarcasm is more my flavor. Some of the opinions in your blog are different from mine, I do think it was creative and well-written.

Viva 32 flavors.

ggw

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2004, 05:57:00 pm »
Maybe BigYawn could do an incisive weekly feature on West Wing.

1.During the scene where CJ scolded Josh for eating too many donuts, didn't you expect the NBC star and rainbow to come flying by with the words "The More You Know" underneath?

2.With regard to Toby and Josh and their various conversations about who should do Leo's job, couldn't you lick the passive aggression right off the screen.

3.Abigail Bartlet was full of comfort for her husband, insisting that he not take the blame for Leo's heart attack. At some point, didn't you expect him to snap back, "Where was all this reasoned understanding when our daughter was kidnapped, you crazy inconsistent bitch?"

4.In what way are the perpetual announcements for Jimmy Smits arrival at the end of every episode like dating a Mormon girl?

5.Don't you miss the early seasons of this show, when it was a refuge from the Bush administration? It's going to be a long four years.

thirsty moore

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2004, 05:59:00 pm »
I think Fabu was attempting a Jump the Shark entry.

fabluece

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2004, 06:01:00 pm »
  Maybe BigYawn could do an incisive weekly feature on West Wing.

If I had the keys to the Big Yawn Writer's Sweatshop, they would.