Author Topic: Rams Head Live... whats its like?  (Read 2573 times)

definitivedoodle

Rams Head Live... whats its like?
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:31:00 pm »
thinking about going up there for a show.

whats it like?

compaired to nations, black cat, and our lovely 9:30.

thanks.

Sir HC

Re: Rams Head Live... whats its like?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 05:22:00 am »
Worst room for sound in the area.  In one of the "drunk frat boy" areas of baltimore.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 08:48:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Worst room for sound in the area.  In one of the "drunk frat boy" areas of baltimore.
i have seen two shows there and neither of them sounded bad to me.

not the best, but not the worst either. but i am not a pro, so perhaps i was just drunk.

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:25:00 am »
That's funny, because supposedly frat boys ruin all the 9:30 Club shows also.  I guess they are every where reaking havoc on all shows, in all places.

definitivedoodle

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:39:00 am »
is 9:30 smaller than RHL?

hoosier buddy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 09:41:00 am »
Lots of video screens around, which should tell you some "real" views are obstructed. The sound near stage left is pretty good. Parts of the balcony get pretty good sound. I saw Lucinda Williams there and the view from the balcony was awesome.

There are lots of folks who come early to the shows to claim a spot on one of the railings - one way to get a good viewing spot.

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 10:00:00 am »
Why I say worst around:

The sound system is very poorly placed.  A flying rig in that room doesn't work.  Downstairs you can not hear the house-right speakers as they are blocked by the upper floor.  On the upper floor those speakers are right in your face.  From there, the room is very oddly shaped, if you are at the bar area down stairs there are no speakers for you.  You are getting SOL sound.  I talked with one of the best engineers in the area and he had nothing good to say about the system and he has mixed on it several times.

As to the frat thing, it is not just RHL but that whole Power Plant live with the college night drinkers (every night is college night), and the block is a block away.  The latter reminds me of the old 9:30.

Bartelby

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 10:15:00 am »
...adding to the acoustics problem:  Hard concrete flooring and no vaulted ceiling like 930 to dispurse the sound.  Take earplugs!  Stage is strangely high - maybe some electrical/mechanical stuff underneath; but if you're up front it's disconcerting.  They generally have the most expensive tickets in the region...beats me why.  Nice staff, and facilities, tho. (I think I just answered my own question...)

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 10:28:00 am »
I've been to 3 or 4 shows there.....the place just seems "cavern like"......really big and the height of the stage is kinda strange.....I've always been right in front on the floor and I have to crane my neck.....not a bad place,pricey,though......don't know how they stay open with the crowds I've seen there........pretty sparse.......

eltee

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 10:31:00 am »
  (every night is college night
I'd agree with that. Lots of talkers too, dependent upon the show you go to..I think it's more of a night out vice a show for some.
 I didn't think the sound was too bad - but Sir HC is right about the speakers on the lower level - they drive me crazy.
 I wish there was a search feature - I wrote a bit about this place long ago. Apparantly it holds 3000, right?
 To me, it's just a more Power Plant / ESPN zone version of the 9:30 club. (the food too - bleh)
 I don't think the prices are too bad - ex: Aimee Mann for $28 compared to $50 at Birchmere (which I'd say they have the dibs on highest priced venue even beating RHT).

freakoretardo

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
I haven't read the thread yet, but I will add that it is the weirdest shaped room I have ever seen a show in. It's like a multi leveled triangle wrapped up in a hexagon, layered it multiple rhombuses.

That being said, if you score a good spot on one of the balconies, or right up in front of the stage, it's not all that bad.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 11:36:00 am »
yeah, both times i was there, i was like 2 people from the stage. and they were both bands i LOVE so that kinda makes everything seem cooler.

Sir HC

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 12:02:00 pm »
Okay so sound is not as bad as the old Black Cat, but for a venue that size it should have a system that works for the room and it does not.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tee:
  Apparantly it holds 3000, right?

A Google search shows most estimates closer to 1500.

eltee

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 12:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by Tee:
  Apparently it holds 3000, right?

A Google search shows most estimates closer to 1500. [/b]
That's what I thought when I saw the place, yet, early email announcements boasted 3000. (I thought the number was off - but possible if crammed in).

It is too bad the sound doesn't carry well. Clear, but, just somewhat glossed over. I do dig that you can hear the show in the bathroom.      :)    
 If you are behind the speakers on the main level floor in that little niche, it sounds okay. I'm serious.
 I've noted the happy hour people stick to the bar, so the main "pit" is generally wide open, which is cool. (I never fight the crowd at 9:30.) I still think they should have put the soundboard back further, or elsewhere.
  SoundSpecs

"December 2004
 Opened on December 15th, Rams Head® Live! features national acts in it's 26,000 square foot entertainment venue. Featuring a 160 seat signature Rams Head Tavern, 5 bars, 3 food stations and 44 monitors and screens for watching, Rams Head® Live! promises to be the region's premier national entertainment venue!"
  Start Here

The image won't code so here's a link: http://www.ramsheadlive.com/images/grandopening.gif