Author Topic: Superdrag Reunion  (Read 15662 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Superdrag Reunion
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »
I agree there aren't enough bar bands doing the circuit these days, was totally won over by The Hold Steady at bonnaroo.  nothing with a little over the top alcohol soaked sloppy rock and roll.

as long as it's completely fuel by the bar, which is  part of my disdain for Superdrag.  That night at the Metro Cafe is seared in my brain as one of the worst shows ever witnessed.  the singer was plastered, loudly tuned his guitar between every song, and there were all these people screaming about how these were the greatest songs ever written.  guess i'll give them a second chance seeing as so many dig em' here.
T.Rex

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »
considering now john is sober

it should be a lot different

also while i dont agree they were some of the best songs ever written...not even close, the songs are strong and some of the catchiest power-pop you'll hear
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

Lamb007

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
 [QB] Nothing wrong with being labeled a "bar band". I'll take a great bar band over a hundred obscurist, loopy, loved by pitchfork bands. The Hold Steady is a great "bar band". The Bottle Rockets were a great bar band, back in the 90's. In my opinion, Superdrag is a decent bar band, and that's being generous. If they rate higher for you, well good for them. Enjoy.

No argument here. The Hold Steady are THE bar band of the moment and I love them. It just seems like the term implies a certain lack of musical competence. It also carries a connotation that their fans are limited to frat boy lunkhead-types and "wooo" girls. I'm guessing a casual fan might see the Old 97's as a bar band. Then again, maybe I've never really understood what the term meant.

Superdrag seemed more like a bar band in an actual bar. On their albums, the songs had a lot more texture than was evident in their live shows. I, too, am curious to see what a sober John sounds like with the old material.

ggw

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  That night at the Metro Cafe is seared in my brain as one of the worst shows ever witnessed.  
'99-ish?  With the Sheila Divine opening?

I thought that was a great show.

sacriforce

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »
one of the best power pop bands of all time - looking forward to this.
 wtf is this "bar band" b.s.? dang ... got sucked into the inevitable piss contest ...

Lamb007

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  They were the biggest music act on earth, at one point.]
Ah the MTV Buzz Bin. Which always became synonymous with the "Used CD" bin 6 months later.

Lamb007

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

That night at the Metro Cafe is seared in my brain as one of the worst shows ever witnessed.  
'99-ish?  With the Sheila Divine opening?

I thought that was a great show. [/b]
I was there too. Not a great Superdrag show (even by John Davis standards, that was an extra boozy night). But that was the night I fell in love with the Sheila Divine. Too bad everything they did after album #1 sucked eggs.

Lamb007

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »
  guess i'll give them a second chance seeing as so many dig em' here.
I recommend the first four tracks off of "Head Trip In Every Key" as a primer.

Random Citizen

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
Ah, The Sheila Divine! Another band I love and miss. Aaron Perrino's voice...*sigh*. I traveled many times to Boston and Cambridge to see them perform.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »
i thought the Put-Outs rocked that night wasn't really impressed by the Shelia Divine... i was only at that show hoping that Negro Problem who were originally schedule would actually get to play, after they get bumped in favor of Superdrag
T.Rex

malkmess

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
ah, the put-outs. the put-outs and superdrag in baltimore in 2002 is still one of the best gigs i've ever seen.

Lamb007

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by malkmess:
  ah, the put-outs. the put-outs and superdrag in baltimore in 2002 is still one of the best gigs i've ever seen.
As good as the night you briefly became a member of Sloan?

Sir HC

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »
I think I have 'drag's set on CD.  Was it at Fletchers?

Lamb007

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

I think I have 'drag's set on CD.  Was it at Fletchers? [/b]
It was. Both bands killed that night too. Damn shame the Put Outs never got their due.

malkmess

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lamb007:

As good as the night you briefly became a member of Sloan? [/b]
oh, that night was okay. i guess i could put it in my top five.  :p

i can't believe you remember that.