Author Topic: The Wrens Roll Call  (Read 3545 times)

thirsty moore

Re: The Wrens Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2003, 03:03:00 pm »
Fantastic show.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2003, 03:05:00 pm »
So, any way we can get the Cat to build a slightly higher stage for the back room?  When that place is crowded, I can't see at ALL, and I'm 5' 9", which is pretty average.

ggw

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2003, 03:08:00 pm »
I think the show last night (like the Decemberists show) should have been upstairs.

ratioci nation

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I think the show last night (like the Decemberists show) should have been upstairs.
I wonder how much more money they make by selling out the backstage compared to a small crowd upstairs.  If there is not much of a difference I don't understand why they don't just move shows like that upstairs when it looks like it will be full.

Jaguär

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2003, 03:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

I wonder how much more money they make by selling out the backstage compared to a small crowd upstairs.  If there is not much of a difference I don't understand why they don't just move shows like that upstairs when it looks like it will be full. [/b]
Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing last night.

My guess is that there is also a major problem with changing rooms at the last minute because of a whole host of reasons from resetting up of the stage to getting enough staff upstairs. But I bet there is a difference in contract negotiations.

Well, we know their return will be upstairs. It has to be after last night. Was cool though in such an intimate space.

calecp01

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 04:46:00 pm »
ah, I boycotted this show for this very reason, I knew it would be way too packed down there.  Maybe it would have been a little more effective if I told other people about the boycott plan though.  Actually I got Sopranos Season 4 Disc 1 from Netflix and was feeling lazy.  Sounds like I missed a good time   :confused:

Bags

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2003, 04:50:00 pm »
Yeah, selfishly I agree, although, with less than 125 people (just my guess), it's expensive for the club.  The backstage was NOT sold out, and that's at just $7 a pop.  On a Sunday.  

I think it's a lot more expensive to run upstairs...

That being said, the stage needs to be higher and they have to do a better job of air-conditioning in the back room for well-sold shows.

FYI, definitely fewer people last night than the Decemberists.  I was at the back for both shows.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2003, 10:40:00 pm »
I prefer being and  a packed show in the back room to a 1/4 full show upstairs...it seems too cavernous. Mike Watt asked to be backstage last time he came for that reason.

The stage could be a little higher, though. And the raised platform on the left doesn't help because it is raised all the way to the stage (so everyone in front if you is also up at your height) plus it in effect lowers the stage.

markie

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2003, 10:44:00 pm »
I personally prefer upstairs. Even upstairs empty can be great. Lambchop and cinerama were beautiful perhaps because it was not too full. The sound system is great upstairs and mediocre down.

I hate that raised step bit downstairs. Everytime I know it is there. Everytime I trip over it.

thirsty moore

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2003, 12:41:00 am »
One of the reasons I like downstairs shows is that the band is basically right at the level of the audience.

markie

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2003, 01:20:00 am »
How did you escape from the dwarve abduction. I thought once that little guy got his legs wrapped around your neck that you were a gonner.....

I mean its ok near the front, but if the band is short you look them right in the eye from like a foot away. That is a bit creepy for me, plus when I say this band sucks, its more likely the band can hear me than Jadetree.