Author Topic: GBV Roll Call  (Read 20376 times)

Random Citizen

Re: GBV Roll Call
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2004, 06:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  somebody's pictures from the boston show

http://www.driki.org/images/shows/gbv-boston/
Just noticed over in the FAQ section that someone asked about photography at tomorrow's show:

There will be no photography or videotaping allowed at the GBV show.

Bags

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2004, 09:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:

Originally posted by pollard:
  somebody's pictures from the boston show

http://www.driki.org/images/shows/gbv-boston/  
Just noticed over in the FAQ section that someone asked about photography at tomorrow's show:

There will be no photography or videotaping allowed at the GBV show.
[/b]
Well, I bet our show looks much the same.  Maybe different pants (though pretty likely not...).  We must simply thank the Bostonian who either flouted the rules or took advantage of a lax policy there....    :D

ggw

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2004, 07:10:00 pm »
So I'm spinning my original vinyl copy of Tommy Keene's "Places That Are Gone" (1984 Dolphin Records) in advance of the show tonight, and I notice the following on the back cover:

management: SETH HURWITZ

Jaguär

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2004, 07:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  So I'm spinning my original vinyl copy of Tommy Keene's "Places That Are Gone" (1984 Dolphin Records) in advance of the show tonight, and I notice the following on the back cover:

management: SETH HURWITZ
From what I remember of the old days, that sounds about right.    

Concerning GBV, I'll be raising Hell on the couch with Guiny and Rhett except it will seem more like Hunt Valley.

MAXX44

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2004, 09:46:00 pm »
SO...how was the show? set list ?

Bartelby

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2004, 11:00:00 pm »
Well, I couldn't take three hours...and many fans around me were taking bets on how many hours/minutes into the show  Pollard would fall off the stage.  Another friend renamed them Guided by Budweiser...What's with the bass player leaving the stage in the middle of a song to take a piss?  This "newbie"  ("board speak" for those not into the inner mysteries of true musical genius) will take a pass on this legend...despite the opening video, it wasn't a "Kodak" (Polaroid, remember?) moment for me.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2004, 07:53:00 am »
I could only last until 1:20 AM (even with the benefit of sitting upstairs), with at least an hour left to go.  Sad that I missed Tommy Keene singing lead vocals on glad girls.

Anyone last the whole night/morning?

Bags

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2004, 08:49:00 am »
I lasted until the end...it was 2:30 give or take.  Yesterday was rough -- not so much hang over as standing/dancing/bouncing-over.  But, it was well worth it to see Keene onstage during the encore.  There was a lot of love up on that stage!

The show was as I expected -- a blast, both up on stage and down with my friends watching, dancing and screaming.  

It's not Pollard I was worried about though -- Nate Farley.  I think he's going to die onstage on New Year's.  Man oh man, he drinks both Bud and Teguila from the bottle like it's mother's milk....

Bags

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2004, 08:53:00 am »
Guided by Voices: Plenty To Shout About
 Monday, September 13, 2004; Page C05
  The Washington Post

Robert Pollard promised fans three hours of Guided by Voices tunes at the 9:30 club on Saturday. Then he delivered. The Dayton, Ohio-based band just launched "The Electrifying Conclusion Tour." And Pollard, the singer, songwriter and one constant in its two-decade history, says this will be the final tour. The group's following, as obsessive as any in rock, hasn't taken the news well, so Pollard doesn't want anyone feeling cheated: He put 50 song titles on the set list for the sold-out 9:30 show.

"We're getting paid $10,000 to play for you," Pollard announced. "That's $200 a song. So, clap!"

Guided by Voices has been in the public eye too long -- and has been too productive -- for every fan at every gig to know all the songs. Material from different eras elicits roars from different cliques. Older males thrust devil's horns toward the stage during the power dirge "The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory." The younger and female portion of the audience screamed loudest for "Girls of Wild Strawberries," a tune from the latest Guided by Voices disc, "Half Smiles of the Decomposed." But plenty of numbers -- the jangly "My Impression Now" and the headbanger "I Am a Tree" among them -- had everybody hopping together.

The band, in a party mood, gave away as many beers to fans as it chugged. Fans threw drinks on each other and the performers. Two women crashed the stage to dance with Pollard on "Cut-Out Witch," and club security didn't bounce them. Bassist Chris Slusarenko stopped the set twice to use the bathroom, and Pollard got the whole club chanting "bladder boy!"

For an encore, opening act Tommy Keene came onstage and took Pollard's place singing lead on a hilariously sloppy trio of Guided by Voices classics: "Motor Away," "Teenage FBI" and "Glad Girls." Pollard took back the microphone for a show-closing one-two of "Echoes Myron" and "I Am a Scientist."

When the house lights went on, fans stopped screaming and began asking each other if the show -- and their relationship with one of the most fun bands of its time -- was really over.

-- Dave McKenna

Guiny

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2004, 09:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
 Concerning GBV, I'll be raising Hell on the couch with Guiny and Rhett except it will seem more like Hunt Valley. [/QB]
Damn!!!!!! Wish I could found the couch you were on.

Guiny

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2004, 09:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
 The band, in a party mood, gave away as many beers to fans as it chugged. Fans threw drinks on each other and the performers. Two women crashed the stage to dance with Pollard on "Cut-Out Witch," and club security didn't bounce them. Bassist Chris Slusarenko stopped the set twice to use the bathroom, and Pollard got the whole club chanting "bladder boy!" [/QB]
Remember this when you guys make fun of HFS shows and bands that you dont like that do this kind of stuff. This is your band and your music now.

ratioci nation

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2004, 09:30:00 am »
I had more fun on Friday in Philadelphia but the perfomance was better at 9:30.  If you left early it is a shame, but obviously your prerogative.  I thought the show was good from start to finish, which isnt always the case with them.

I was way too tired from Friday to join in the crowd fun on Saturday, doesn't help that the 9:30 is so tightly packed in when it is sold out.

ratioci nation

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2004, 09:31:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Remember this when you guys make fun of HFS shows and bands that you dont like that do this kind of stuff. This is your band and your music now.
oh defender of mainstream, please tell us where Bags or I have made fun of people doing this

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2004, 09:49:00 am »
i too stuck it out to the end having decided this was the last time i would get to see the band live. and glad i did with tommy's appearence on stage and a  "hits" laden encore.  good show but a bit long for the casual gbv fan...

rarely do see a warmup act really get the audience warmup and ready for the headliner like tommy did.. of the couple times i've seen him this was the most amped up, the guitars were set on stun.  killer set including "places that are gone", a mission of burma  and lou reed cover.

ggw asked what tommy has done since his mid 80s and while not much, "10 years after" gets the occasional spin in the concrete manor.  "the real underground" collects the early eps, etc on to one cd.

it will be interesting to see what the pollard/keene teaming will result in...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2004, 10:01:00 am »
Tommy Keene Setlist

Call On Me
 Long Time Missing
 No One In This City
 Compromise
 When Our Vows Break