Author Topic: Billy Idol and DiscLive  (Read 5448 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Billy Idol and DiscLive
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 02:58:00 pm »
but do people complain about the price of t-shirts or popcorn at movie theaters?
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 03:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 [qb] And it's about the same price as a CD that uses a fully stocked professional studio with expensive studio time; hired engineers, etc; cover artists (as in CD art work); CD manufacturing; promotions; shipping; etc... [/b]
but a good studio album will sell 50,000 copies and earn songwriting revenues if the songs get airplay......

Billy idol, it was more like 300 copies........ $6000 a night isnt a massive amount of money  for that kind of technology and speed of service.

ggw

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2003, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  but a good studio album will sell 50,000 copies and earn songwriting revenues if the songs get airplay......

Billy idol, it was more like 300 copies........ $6000 a night isnt a massive amount of money  for that kind of technology and speed of service.
the artist sees very little revenue from the studio album sales.  I bet he gets a much bigger cut from these CD live things.

Let's say he gets 25% and sells 300 a show and plays just 35 dates a year.  That's more than $50,000 a year.  That ain't chump change Bubba.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
minus of course 10% for his manager, accountant, lawyer... still good money
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Let's say he gets 25% and sells 300 a show and plays just 35 dates a year.  That's more than $50,000 a year.  That ain't chump change Bubba.
$50,000 a year for Billy Idol, I bet he spends all of that on leather trousers and hair gel.

So if I finally get my new job I will be getting more than chump change?

And why did you call me bubba?

I dont begrudge an artist making money in this way at all, well as long as it does not go beyond $20 for a double, $15 would be better, but the technology is expensive and new......

Bags

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2003, 03:16:00 pm »
Yeah, but you weren't standing there in the studio while they performed the songs!  I fully understand the lack of appeal of live CDs for a lot of folks, but I am really into this idea.  Fountains of Wayne and Washington Social Club live CDs will both be better than their studio efforts!  Plus, BAGS WAS THERE!

Originally posted by Jaguär:

huh? its going to be tad expensive to tote around a van full of high speed cd burners and production equipment.  not to mention that the artist and the venue wants their cut of the action.
And it's about the same price as a CD that uses a fully stocked professional studio with expensive studio time; hired engineers, etc; cover artists (as in CD art work); CD manufacturing; promotions; shipping; etc... [/b]

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 03:17:00 pm »
They sell t-shirts at the movies? Am I going to have to start making home made movie t-shirts?

I don't think I've ever bought movie popcorn. Though I've been known to sneak in a Snickers bar or a Coke.

but do people complain about the price of t-shirts or popcorn at movie theaters?

Bags

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
And I agree, $15 makes sense and feels like a much better price.

ggw

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2003, 03:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  They sell t-shirts at the movies? Am I going to have to start making home made movie t-shirts?

I don't think I've ever bought movie popcorn. Though I've been known to sneak in a Snickers bar or a Coke.

Just out of curiosity....what do you spend your money on?

ggw

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  $50,000 a year for Billy Idol, I bet he spends all of that on leather trousers and hair gel.

So if I finally get my new job I will be getting more than chump change?

And why did you call me bubba?

That's $50k above and beyond whatever he's already pulling down on touring.

Will your new job be paying you $50k more than you are currently making?

Since you desire to become fully assimilated to American culture, I felt you needed a good American nickname.  Henceforth, you will be known as "Bubba."  Wear the name with pride.

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
Why not call him "Dale"?

markie

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 03:33:00 pm »
  Why not call him "Dale"?
Too late.

No it will not be paying that much more, especially not after they take off social security and healthcare and pension.........

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 03:38:00 pm »
Trying to save as much as quickly as possible for a down payment for a house. Then we'll have to start saving for when she's home with the baby in a few years.

But what do we spend on? Well, we both like to travel. Just booked two nights in an NYC hotel, got a 4.5 star place off of Hotwire. Hiked in the Adirondacks, the Dolomites in Italy, and Mt Rainier all this year.

I guess we're more inclined to spend on vacation, and be more frugal with everyday life.

I'll bet all of your $$ goes for the country club membership?

[/qb][/QUOTE]Just out of curiosity....what do you spend your money on? [/QB][/QUOTE]

ggw

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »
 I'll bet all of your $$ goes for the country club membership?

No. As a legacy the dues are pretty reasonable.

bearman🐻

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2003, 04:19:00 pm »
I love the idea of being able to walk out of the show with a copy of the concert from that night on CD...it's a great idea, and I'm sure that bands will really investigate this because it will probably give them a nice monetary boost. You gotta figure Clear Channel or Ticketbastard or whoever is going to get involved somehow and find a way to cash in, as will the record labels. Good for Billy though for doing this. I would imagine if the band had a bad night it could be disappointing though...I'm sure if it was a disaster, the band could demand that copies not be burned for fear that they would be circulated. But it's a fantastic idea.