Author Topic: Hurricane Busting  (Read 4606 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Hurricane Busting
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »
d.c. knows how to panic:

washingtonpost.com
 Metro Expects Systemwide Shutdown During Storm

Associated Press
 Wednesday, September 17, 2003; 3:55 PM

Metro officials expect to shut the entire subway and bus system at some point tomorrow in Washington, Virginia and Maryland.

Spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein tells the Associated Press that based on information from the National Weather Service, and following a conference call with local government officials, it is "likely" that all service will be stopped.

Farbstein said that riders would have a a minimum of two hours' advance notice. She said it's too early to say when a closure would happen, but warned that it could occur as early as tonight.

Metro said the closure would come if Hurricane Isabel brings sustained winds topping 40 miles per hour.

Initially the transit agency planned to continue underground service, but Farbstein said officials decided it would be easier to explain a systemwide shutdown, rather than a partial shutdown.

Metro will run MetroAccess, the paratransit service for the disabled, but will restrict service to medical runs only.

© 2003 The Associated Press
OU812

mankie

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2003, 04:47:00 pm »
What are you all freaking about..unless you live in a trailer park you're fine...so Rhett is fucked, but who cares?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2003, 04:49:00 pm »
aside from seaman mankie, who else has been through a hurricane?  the best i can say is that i once drank alot of hurricanes in new orleans.
OU812

jadetree

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2003, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  aside from seaman mankie, who else has been through a hurricane?  the best i can say is that i once drank alot of hurricanes in new orleans.
I was in one in South Carolina in the 80s, but it was a small one.

jadetree

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2003, 04:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  What are you all freaking about..unless you live in a trailer park you're fine...so Rhett is fucked, but who cares?
I am having a hard time understanding the freaking out as well, but there may be a lot of flooded basement apartments in the city and a lot of trees down.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2003, 04:53:00 pm »
I lived through Hurricane Fran while residing in North Carolina in 1996. While my immediate vicinity escaped serious harm, the place was a mess within a few miles. They cancelled schools for like a week.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2003, 04:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by jadetree:
  I am having a hard time understanding the freaking out as well, but there may be a lot of flooded basement apartments in the city and a lot of trees down.
but you're from missour-a. . .they don't have hurricanes there. . .i would imagine that in addition to trees down, power lines would go down as well.
OU812

Jaguär

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2003, 04:58:00 pm »
Plenty of them! The weather that is, not the drinks.   :D  

It really depends on lots of variables, where you are, conditions, etc.. I get a kick out of them when I'm at the beach. They are horrible to drive through though as they sway your car all over the place,  downed trees and branches everywhere, and flooded roads. Sometimes electricity is lost but I haven't personally had that problem from them. The winds seem to do the most wide-spread damage but the waters are very bad if you are in a low lying area. Glad I'm on a top floor but I'll have to watch out for my roof.

jadetree

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2003, 05:02:00 pm »
 missour-a
we do have tornados in missour-ee

and I didn't always live there, I spent a lot of summers in South Carolina in the 80s

markie

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Glad I'm on a top floor but I'll have to watch out for my roof.
are you like Samnatha? Do you have some instability up top?

Bags

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2003, 05:05:00 pm »
The problem is deciding to come into work, then getting stranded there because all metro (above and below ground and buses) will be shut down.  It *is* a worry.

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
It's rumored that touching downed power lines is not very healthy. Could be downright shocking.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  The problem is deciding to come into work, then getting stranded there because all metro (above and below ground and buses) will be shut down.  It *is* a worry.
in case you haven't seen it yet, ferc is shutting down tomorrow at 2 pm, with no access to ferris.  

for everyone else, weather.com says that winds should be above 40 mph by 5 pm
OU812

Bags

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2003, 05:15:00 pm »
Thanks, Venerable!  I'm trying to convince our bosses that we need to telecommute.

Originally posted by bags:
in case you haven't seen it yet, ferc is shutting down tomorrow at 2 pm, with no access to ferris.  

for everyone else, weather.com says that winds should be above 40 mph by 5 pm [/b]

Jaguär

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2003, 05:29:00 pm »
I certainly hope that everyone's employers are decent about all of this. Some can be real hold out assholes. Hope none of you get stranded anywhere you don't want to be.

The timing really sucks!