Author Topic: trashcan sinatras vs joseph arthur and the thrills vs oc  (Read 3787 times)

lily1

trashcan sinatras vs joseph arthur and the thrills vs oc
« on: September 12, 2004, 08:50:00 pm »
double bookings for this thursday and saturday and i can't decide. i've never seen thrashcan sinatras and have missed joseph arthur twice. i've missed the thrills twice and haven't seen ocean blue in 10 years. what say you wise forum peeps? and who is this roddy hart character opening for trashcan sinatras?

Jaguär

Re: trashcan sinatras vs joseph arthur and the thrills vs oc
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 09:21:00 pm »
My toss up for that night is either The Trash Can Sinatras, Joseph Arthur or Statistics. Sorry, but I completely hate The Thrills so that one isn't even on my radar. Ocean Blue is too, I don't know, teeny for me.

God, I HATE all of this cluster booking! It's such a shame that at least one of them isn't playing the night before when almost nothing is going on anywhere.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 10:34:00 pm »
T.Rex

Reechard D Taylor

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 01:38:00 pm »
I'll definitely be at the Trash Can show. Their first two albums are brilliant ("cake" and "I've Seen Everything") and I highly recommend them, especially if you have a sweet tooth for well-written, Smiths-inspired melancholy.

For me, it doesn't get any better than "Hayfever" or "Obscurity Knocks"---brilliant songs...

Oh yeah and I'll also be at The Ocean Blue...

eltee

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 03:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  God, I HATE all of this cluster booking! It's such a shame that at least one of them isn't playing the night before when almost nothing is going on anywhere.
No kidding. Wed. not a show in sight!
 I'd select Trashcan Sinatras and then, Ocean Blue.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 03:39:00 pm »
i'm djing the Trashcan Sinatra's show, should be a cool evening...  listened to the song samples on roddy hart's site and would say he's in the singer songwriter vein of bob dylan... reminds me a bit of johnathan rice.  based on what i heard he has loads of potential.
T.Rex

grotty

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 03:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Sorry, but I completely hate The Thrills so that one isn't even on my radar.  
All praise ye wise Jaguar. I also  seriously dislike this band. I find the whole San Deigo Beach Boys routine pretentious ~ somehow boy-bandesque. Just be who you are.

Plus more importantly - I saw them in Austin @ SXSW & didn't think they were very good. I tried to like them - then I tried to endure them - then I spent the remainder of their set @ the bar.

dotdot

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »
Screw the Ocean Blue!  Their singer is a right prick and they kicked out their first keyboardist 'cause he was gay and they're stifling Christians.  Grrr...

lily1

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 08:55:00 pm »
i'm leaning towards the trashcan sinatras, only because its easier to get to and from, esp if the show runs late, during the week.  

this is the 3rd time the thrills have been here in less than a year, and i heard the last show at the black cat was pretty lackluster so maybe i'll pop over to iota for ocean blue.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 08:10:00 am »
cake
T.Rex

lily1

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 09:56:00 am »
anyone else going to trashcan sinatras tonight?

i think i am skipping the shows on saturday.

Random Citizen

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 10:07:00 am »
I'm schlepping down to Arlington for Joseph Arthur tonight. I'm really tempted to go to the Ocean Blue show because Riverside is opening.

Bags

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 10:24:00 am »
I forgot about Joseph Arthur @ Iota, and bought a Trashcan ticket a couple weeks back.  I'll be there...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 10:56:00 am »
Anyone heard of Radar HiFi, they have just been added to the TCS bill... I trolling the Roddy Hart site to see if it his backing band without much success.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
no djing for me tonight... was looking forward to spinning the new aberfeldy and paul weller   :(
T.Rex