Author Topic: V-Fest Prediction / Wishlist  (Read 80037 times)

serpent boy

Re: V-Fest Prediction / Wishlist
« Reply #480 on: May 03, 2008, 01:24:00 am »
Oh god. Please not Deerhunter. They were terrible as openers for the Smashing Pumpkins in Asheville.

Deerhunter + The Offspring + Paramore + Taking Back Sunday = Almost enough to make me NOT want to go.

I think the festival is just too eclectic and needs another ROCK band or two (Kings of Leon, Eagles of Death Metal, etc.) to draw in the traditional crowd.

azaghal1981

« Reply #481 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:00 am »
I can't imagine Deerhunter's live show translating well in a space bigger than the BC backstage.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2008, 01:51:00 am »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
  Pitchfork is reporting Deerhunter is on the lineup, but does not say which day. Good addition.

EDIT: Probably Sunday since they're on tour with NIN. The whole thing could be a giant assumption on p4k's part, tho.
A Place To Bury Strangers is also opening for a block of the NIN shows and they have that date open which also has me wondering if Seth will bring them in as a late addition. Would be nice. Plus they are playing a shit load of festivals all around the planet so we know they are now on the festival circut.

azaghal1981

« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2008, 02:06:00 am »
Now that's a band whose sound would translate awesomely in a big outdoor space.

Although I'm kind of hoping they'd play the black cat on one of those empty dates instead.
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #484 on: May 03, 2008, 02:22:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  Now that's a band whose sound would translate awesomely in a big outdoor space.

Although I'm kind of hoping they'd play the black cat on one of those empty dates instead.
Yeah, Backroom or the Velvet.

Actually, I'm not all that sure how they will come off on a big stage, especially outdoors. They are the kind of band that I absolutely love seeing in those tiny little grungy venues. Damn. As happy as I am for the boys hitting the road to success, I'm also lamenting that we may not see many of those smaller shows with them later on.

azaghal1981

« Reply #485 on: May 03, 2008, 02:55:00 am »
They might be too big for the Velvet already.

At the RNR hotel show a month or two ago when they opened for Holy Fuck/Sons and Daughters, they had both bands beat pretty bad on that "who did you come to see?" list.
احمد

NilThree

« Reply #486 on: May 04, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  They might be too big for the Velvet already.

At the RNR hotel show a month or two ago when they opened for Holy Fuck/Sons and Daughters, they had both bands beat pretty bad on that "who did you come to see?" list.
Is it true that their album is limited to 500 copies? Seems pretty small for a band with this much buzz. Either way, it's an awesome album. I'd love to see them live.

I liked the Deerhunter record but I really can't imagine them at a festival. If they were there I'd still watch their set, though.

Jaguar

« Reply #487 on: May 05, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
Originally it was limited to 500 or 1,000 copies, or whatever, but once they sold out, they pressed more. The 1st batch sold out quickly, maybe last summer or early fall. I've got one of those along with some earlier releases which are mostly the same songs but rougher mixes.

SPARX

« Reply #488 on: May 05, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  [/qbA Place To Bury Strangers is also opening for a block of the NIN shows and they have that date open which also has me wondering if Seth will bring them in as a late addition. Would be nice. Plus they are playing a shit load of festivals all around the planet so we know they are now on the festival circut. [/QB]
That would be a great addition, for sure. There's a great lineup in there for a one day festival in that 2 day fest. It's putting up with the rest of it that makes it seem hardly worthy to me. Particularly,me not living nearby.I'm still bitter over Ian M's pathetic attempt with the Bunymen after I ventured to B/more a few years back for that M & t fest thing. Thankfully Sylvain, Ness, and I hear Billy saved the day on that one. I left before Billy came on, as after The Dolls and Social D , I didn't want to sit through what I consider bullshit acts waiting to see him with rain approaching and a several hour drive back to the hills. It was better to leave on a high note as I didn't know what to expect from Mr. Idol. I thought his best days were behind him after GenerationX. I hope V Fest remains enjoyable, profitable and continues for years to come. I just hate what I consider watering down the talent to stretch it to 2 days. I'd pay just as much for a one day fest with the better acts only, but that's just me.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:00 am »
I used to feel the same way about 1 day vs 2

but the deal is you have all this stuff set up already, so all you really need to do is book the bands

and then what you might consider filler, is somebody else's reason they're going...and, as you can see from the forum here, you never which band people are going to love or hate...so, if you're like me and want to please everyone and feel their undying love, you need the large canvas to paint your masterpiece

plus, as I said before, this gives us the time to stagger the sets so everyone could see every band if they wanted

if there happens to be an hour where there's nobody playing you want to see, then that's when you can explore the other stuff, or use the opportunity to make that new concert-mate friend that's been missing in your life...it's easy...just turn to your neighbor, give them a hug, and say something like "that Seth sure books the best festivals..I am coming here every year no matter what they say on the Forum!"

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #490 on: May 06, 2008, 08:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
 use the opportunity to make that new concert-mate friend that's been missing in your life...it's easy...just turn to your neighbor, give them a hug
i hope my current concert-mate friend is a lawyer  :(
<sig>

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #491 on: May 06, 2008, 08:45:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:

if there happens to be an hour where there's nobody playing you want to see, then that's when you can explore the other stuff
i actually really liked the time i spent wandering around during about an hour or so last year when i didn't want to see panic at the disco or bad brains. instead, i ended up getting a beehive hairdo. <3 baltimore.

this is also the opportunity when everyone can go hang out with the charm city roller girls. *ahem*
nothx

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #492 on: May 06, 2008, 09:05:00 am »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  this is also the opportunity when everyone can go hang out with the charm city roller girls. *ahem*
This is at Pimlico, right?  Why can't you gals set up a rink on the track and then have a match DURING the festival?

Brian

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #493 on: May 06, 2008, 09:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
This is at Pimlico, right?  Why can't you gals set up a rink on the track and then have a match DURING the festival?

Brian [/b]
We do... which is why I said come hang out.
nothx

Got Haggis?

« Reply #494 on: May 06, 2008, 11:46:00 am »
ahh, now I understand that other stalking thread from Brian Wallace (that got deleted)   ;)