Author Topic: Pretty. Odd  (Read 3866 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Pretty. Odd
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »
I've never heard of any of the bands listed in this thread. Are they, like, Raccoo-oo-oon cover bands or  something?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, gay agenda ILLUMINATI:

Originally posted by callat703:
  If you all can swallow your indie-cred for a minute...
I will do no such thing, and you're off my Christmas Card list for even suggesting it, sir. Good day. [/b]
sending out xmas cards isn't very indie (unless of course you include an obtuse, tangential review of your friendship, compare it to friendships you have with other hipsters, and finally give the friendship an ironic score between 1 and 10).
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  sending out xmas cards isn't very indie
Bro, I think it was pretty obvious I was talking about Vegan Christmas, not regular-people December 25th Christmas. Then again, it is pretty underground, so maybe you haven't heard of it.

Mobius

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »
what i heard sounds like Third Eye Bllind by way of The Shins by way of Phantom Planet - which is much less offensive than their first album which sounded like Meatloaf by way of a high school production of Pirates of Penzance by way of a very special episode of California Dreams.

Tom Servo

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 12:47:00 am »
I was in a high school production of Pirates of Penzance.  Does that give me indie cred?

Originally posted by Mobius:
  what i heard sounds like Third Eye Bllind by way of The Shins by way of Phantom Planet - which is much less offensive than their first album which sounded like Meatloaf by way of a high school production of Pirates of Penzance by way of a very special episode of California Dreams.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 03:32:00 am »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  No one on this forum has indie cred, they just like to think they do.
werd, yo
_\|/_

slappy

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 10:02:00 am »
It's more power pop than Sgt. Peppers to me.
 Matthew Sweet, Falkner-y - Jellyfish, The Grays

Not bad.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by callat703:
  If you all can swallow your indie-cred for a minute...
I will do no such thing, and you're off my Christmas Card list for even suggesting it, sir. Good day. [/b]
sending out xmas cards isn't very indie (unless of course you include an obtuse, tangential review of your friendship, compare it to friendships you have with other hipsters, and finally give the friendship an ironic score between 1 and 10). [/b]
what about sending religous christmas cards, but in an ironic way?
OU812

thirsty moore

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »
Do you identify as a Thespian?

Originally posted by Tom Servo:
  I was in a high school production of Pirates of Penzance.  Does that give me indie cred?

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »
I understand the whole Sgt. Peppers influence to it. It makes me want to check out the new album.

Now is it as good as Sgt. Peppers? Everyone knows the answer to that question.

LOVE.

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »
Now that's funny.
 Take notes, Rhett.  ;)

Speaking of Raccoo-oo-oon, they just put out a sweet new cassette (Mythos Folkways Vol. IV).

I've never heard of any of the bands listed in this thread. Are they, like, Raccoo-oo-oon cover bands or  something?
احمد

taperkat

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
  Indie Cred means listening to Trocadero, Unwound and  Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, right????
Maybe about 15 years ago.

It's all about the Mae Shi nowadays. [/b]
Brian Jonestown Massacre anyone?

please note i have no idea what the hell indie means.

pretty. odd = pretty. bleh. i prefer other bands most people don't  :)

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »
I had this for about a week, and I finally got around to listening to it this weekend.

I keep hearing the Sgt. Peppers influence comments, but when did having horns, an orchestra with lots of clapping in the background mean you've embraced Sgt. Peppers?  Come on.  There's so much more to Sgt. Peppers than telling a story to your audience with lots of instruments that this comparison is off the mark.

To me it sounds like a typical self indulgent sophomore effort, from a band that I liked the debut and was worried about the second album.  The difference here is that I hated the first album.  The first album was SOOO self indulgent that this one comes off as not so bad.  I can see myself listening to it every now and then.

I can totally see their fan base revolting.  And I think that was intentional.  Had they made another "A Fever you can't Sweat Out" they would have been so pigeon holed that when their fans grew up they'd be playing to nobody.  I like what they did here.

As for the Pop comments, that's the one downside to this album.  It doesn't have more than one decent Pop single that will sell this album, and I think they know it.  If it did, they wouldn't have played a new version of an old song on SNL a couple weeks ago.

That being said, the commercial on MTV where the band is staring at the world's largest thermometer (between LA and Las Vegas in Baker, CA), cracks me up every time I see it.  I've done that.  I bought the album for that commercial, and that commercial alone.
27>34

alex

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »
I saw their performance on SNL a few weeks ago and noticed that their vocals are so much better in a live setting than on record...it's like they deliberately over-harmonized the production on the CD, if that makes sense.  I was just thinking, why in the hell would they do that?  Usually when a band does that on their cd, it means they are compensating for shitty vocals, but this guy actually can sing.

Weird.

Sage 703

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I had this for about a week, and I finally got around to listening to it this weekend.

I keep hearing the Sgt. Peppers influence comments, but when did having horns, an orchestra with lots of clapping in the background mean you've embraced Sgt. Peppers?  Come on.  There's so much more to Sgt. Peppers than telling a story to your audience with lots of instruments that this comparison is off the mark.

To me it sounds like a typical self indulgent sophomore effort, from a band that I liked the debut and was worried about the second album.  The difference here is that I hated the first album.  The first album was SOOO self indulgent that this one comes off as not so bad.  I can see myself listening to it every now and then.

I can totally see their fan base revolting.  And I think that was intentional.  Had they made another "A Fever you can't Sweat Out" they would have been so pigeon holed that when their fans grew up they'd be playing to nobody.  I like what they did here.

As for the Pop comments, that's the one downside to this album.  It doesn't have more than one decent Pop single that will sell this album, and I think they know it.  If it did, they wouldn't have played a new version of an old song on SNL a couple weeks ago.

That being said, the commercial on MTV where the band is staring at the world's largest thermometer (between LA and Las Vegas in Baker, CA), cracks me up every time I see it.  I've done that.  I bought the album for that commercial, and that commercial alone.
Personally, I hear the Sgt. Pepper/Beatles comparisons much more in the guitar tones and lead guitar lines, as well as the overall song structures.  Sure, the horns and orchestration as well - but it is most evident to me in the guitar.