Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2031182 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1035 on: August 05, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  With that, I will reveal my Tech Prediction #3:

This is the year that a broadcast network will run a TV program on the internet at the same time as an Over-the-Air broadcast - and just maybe one genius network will run an episode on-line before it airs over-the-air.  And a really smart network would run an HD episode (sponsored by some HD TV maker) because most people can see HD quality on their computer monitors - just not on their TVs.

So yes Hoya, IP TV is the future - but how far in the future is up to the IP industry, and they've throttled every attempt to expand for the past 10 years.
This hasn't happened yet, but this fall there's a good chance.  You can already see NBC doing this with their Olympic coverage.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1036 on: August 05, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »
  Which brings me to Tech Prediction #4:

2008 will be the long anticipated year of REAL HD Revolution

When Comedy Central goes HD in 2008, you'll know I was on to something here.
This one has been interesting because Comedy Central is filming in HD (you can download the HD versions on Xbox Live for example or watch them online), but they're not broadcasting in HD (and no, I'm not counting this for prediction #3).  

Another anamoly is VH1 and MTV.  They've had HD signals for months now, record in HD, but have yet to broadcast a single HD show.  Take Vh1 Rock Honors: The Who.  I was bummed that wasn't in HD when I recorded it from VH1, but then I recorded it on MHD, and it was in HD.  Not sure what Viacom's doing here.  

Regardless, I think we've seen a huge increase in the HD content so far this year.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1037 on: August 05, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »
  Tech Prediction #5:  

2008 will really be the year of the Death of the Desktop

(1) Home Servers will take off.  
 (2) Wireless streaming to entertainment devices.  
 (3) And this last one is the most important -  with the massive advance in the market of Mobile Internet Devices (or ultra mobile PCs) with WiFi capability, like the iPhone, the iTouch, Samsungs Q1, mini-tablets and the "smaller than laptops but much better battery life" devices coming between $400 and $700 - very few people are going to fork out the cash for a oversized desktop at that price when they can have something sleek and portable that does 95% of what most folks use their desktop for today.
Sweetcell might still disagree, but I think I nailed this one.  

Sure Microsoft released a shitty version of the Home Server software that cost them 6 months of market penetration, but it's just a matter of time.  NAS devices are hot as well.

Apple updated Apple TV, Xbox is going to update the 360, PS3 now streams, D-link, HP, and and every other network now has a media extender...

And the netbook is taking over the laptop market at exactly the price I guessed (maybe even cheaper).  And do you know what the next hot Laptop type is?  The gaming laptop - they're all over the place.  The desktop is dead at home (although I really like my new Dell Studio Hybrid at the office).
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1038 on: August 05, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »
after the trips ive taken this year, i really have been thinking about an itouch. even the crappy b&b we stayed at in vermont had wifi
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1039 on: August 05, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  after the trips ive taken this year, i really have been thinking about an itouch. even the crappy b&b we stayed at in vermont had wifi
Well, clearly you should wait because Sept is about the right time for a new iTouch.

But I've got to ask....for $300 starting price, why not get a Netbook?  The 8.9 inch version will fit in a pocket of your cargo pants.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1040 on: August 05, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »
cargo pants? what is this 1997
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1041 on: August 05, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
in all honesty, i wanted the itouch for the calendar/task managment fuction as much as the net. i have to play with one to be sure, and they never have any at best buy
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1042 on: August 05, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »
  cargo pants? what is this 1997
What else are you going to wear with your GBV shirts?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1043 on: August 05, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
  in all honesty, i wanted the itouch for the calendar/task managment fuction as much as the net. i have to play with one to be sure, and they never have any at best buy
There's got to be 8 eight Apple Stores within 50 miles of DC...

Anyhow, I picked my next phone over the weekend (assuming Sprint doesn't tie it to the "Everything Plan" like they did with the Instinct) and I never thought to think if it had wifi because I use Sprints EVDO network, but it does have wifi eliminating any need for Touch.

Well, eliminating the need for a Touch from Apple at least.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1044 on: August 05, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
white belts
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1045 on: August 05, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

There's got to be 8 eight Apple Stores within 50 miles of DC...

Anyhow, I picked my next phone over the weekend (assuming Sprint does tie it to the "Everything Plan" like they did with the Instinct) and I never thought to think if it had wifi because I use Sprints EVDO network, but it does have wifi eliminating any need for Touch.

Well, eliminating the need for a Touch from Apple at least. [/b]
honestly, i havent made a special trip, but we were going to best buys for wii fit for awhile there. my whole thing about iphone/pda phones is i go through phones like once a year. i just know i'd break it. that and the extra $30 a month
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1046 on: August 05, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »
  white belts
Awesome.

I was thinking about getting a new belt, but then I felt that I would be missing a little something in my life.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1047 on: August 07, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
speaking of....

from the comments section of the brooklyn vegan's discussion of the APW schedule:
Take your white belt and wrap it around your neck pussy
i fear that the image of the white belt has escaped your control, smax.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1048 on: August 07, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
It would have been better if the poster had said H&M scarf, but I fear you're right.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1049 on: August 07, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »
David Pogue's Gadget list of 2008

Camera: Nikon D80
 Camcorder: Canon HV30
 Cellphone: LG8700
 Computer (laptop): MacBook Air
 Computer (desktop): Dell Inspiron 530s
 Mobile Internet: Sierra Compass 597
 Movies: Vudu box
 Car: Toyota Prius
 DVR: TiVo Series 3

And to compare and contrast...

Smackie's Gadget list of 2008

Camera: We have two, Canon Powershot S5 and the Sony DsC-H50.  Smackette is the photographer of the family, and I simply guided her into what she was looking for.

Camcorder: No kids = no camcorder.

Cellphone: I have two: A (still) working Motorola RAZR on it's original battery and a Motorola Q.  Hopefully it will be replaced by an HTC Diamond Touch next month or a complete switch from Sprint by Oct 1 (iPhone 3g?).  

Computer (laptop): I use Smackette's Toshiba A105 since I burned my VAIO to the ground.  I will be replacing it with a netbook in a matter of weeks (probably the Dell E-Series).  I do envy David's MacBook Air, but I don't like the price point for the reduction in power.  Call me silly, but if I get less, I want to pay less.

Computer (desktop): Well, since the desktop is dead, all we have is a Windows Home Server.  I do love my Dell Studio Hybrid at the office though.  Small, power saving, but powerful.

Mobile Internet:  I'm going to strike "mobile" and just say internet because the Sierra Compass 597 is all we have (of course I was smart enough to add a router CTR-350 by Counterpoint), and like David I love it.  Come on WiMax!

Movies: Windows Home Server again through the Xbox 360.  Ripped all the DVDs to the Server, stream them through the 360.

Car: Also a Toyota Prius, and also before the waiting list, but just barely.

DVR: DirecTV HR20-700.  I miss my TiVo sometimes, but not as much as I'd miss having over 100 HD channels, MLB Package, Sunday Ticket, Setanta and XM radio all in one box.

What are other folks using these days?
27>34