Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2030714 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1095 on: August 29, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »
Only NKOTB would appreciate this as much as I do...

Full size drivable Landspeeder.
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #1096 on: August 29, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »
I've never felt shame tooling around town in my Lexus* until now...   :(  

* Actually it's a CRV, but who's counting?

Originally posted by vansmack:
  Only NKOTB would appreciate this as much as I do...

Full size drivable Landspeeder.

Relaxer

« Reply #1097 on: August 29, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »
  I went to sleep last night and woke up in a horrible daze: Tina Fay is John McCain's running mate.  I'm going to try to sleep this off.
VPILF
oword

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1098 on: August 29, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »
  I went to sleep last night and woke up in a horrible daze: Tina Fay is John McCain's running mate.  I'm going to try to sleep this off.
smackie, what are thoughts on this
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1099 on: August 29, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  smackie, what are thoughts on this
It's high risk-high reward.  My guess is that the Republican campaign folks ran the numbers state by state and decided that Senator McCain couldn't win unless he really shook things up.  And he did.  I was so interested (read: stunned) in the choice that I stayed home this morning to watch the announcement.  I don't know if anybody else saw Pat Buchanan as the rumors broke, but he was certain it was a false rumor saying "there's no way he could do that."  

Not knowing the political reason why he did it, I'll just go reason by reason why he might have done it:

(1) To Appeal to the Hillary Voters.  After the Biden pick, they immediately ran a commercial attacking Senator Obama for not picking Hillary - there's a huge segment out there that is undecided.  The sad part is, it's a huge mistake to think that women were voting for Hillary ONLY because she is a woman, and if this is the reason for the pick, I think they walked right into a trap.  The majority of women Hillary supporters voted for Hillary because of her stance on issues women find important, and you're not going to attract them with Palin.

(2) Make the campaign look younger and more fresh.  It's no doubt that Obama is destroying the McCain camp among younger voters.  Picking someone young does not fix that problem - finding new ways to deliver your message to young does that (and without putting yourself at such risk).

(3) The Executive thing.  Until today, none of the three candidates had executive experience.  McCain touted her "executive experience" in the first 3 minutes of his intro of Palin.  But 1.5 years in Alaska is a bit of a stretch when it comes to demonstrating executive experience (and in this case at a very dangerous cost - it weakens the strongest argument The Republican's had going for them - Obama's experience).  I don't think the American public was concerned about Executive experience in this race more than they were concerned about Obama's overall experience, and McCain's camp took a lot of bite out of that by picking someone with even less experience.

(4) Energy.  This is where I am most intrigued.  If McCain makes this election about energy, Palin can be very useful.  However - he has to shape the argument about energy security, because Alaska is much of the same old energy policy - oil and natural gas.  Alaska is not about renewables, not about getting the US off oil dependence (foreign or domestic), and I don't think the drilling issue is big enough to win a national election.  It has to be about energy in terms of national security.

(5) Take the wind out of the sails.  The Dems had an amazing four days with Teddy, The Clintons, and then Obama's speech last night.  I haven't heard a word about Obama's speech today because Palin is all the buzz.  It was such a shocking choice that it effectively killed all the momentum coming out of Denver, but it opened up a lot of cans of worms that may cause distractions in Minnesota.

One other thing I've been thinking of is that it's such a stunning choice that they're baiting the Dems into making a huge mistake some where along the campaign trail.  I think even the least astute person would guess that any large mistake is going to come from Joe Biden and this makes the VP debate a huge opportunity for Biden to say something so crazy sexist, that it keeps the Hillary folks away.

I've got to be honest - I think John McCain just did one of two things: he either gave himself his only chance to win or just gave the election away, and after hearing her speak on his 72nd birthday, I'm leaning towards the latter.  Obama's first criteria for Biden was "can he be President if need be" and I would start repeating that over and over again.

As much as I'm going to regret saying this, I'm looking forward to Julian and other Hillary supporters take on this choice.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #1100 on: August 29, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
It's going to be awesome having a woman as Vice President. She's bat-shit crazy and as ultra right as it gets, but I'm not voting for Carter II: Electric Boogaloo.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1101 on: August 29, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »
just bush 2: wrath of mckhan
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1102 on: August 29, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »
  As much as I'm going to regret saying this, I'm looking forward to Julian and other Hillary supporters take on this choice.
something like 'well she doesnt agree with me on many issues but hey i dont see any vaginas on joe biden'
o/\o

« Reply #1103 on: August 29, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »
If the next four years are going to be a failed Presidency (which is an inevitability with either McCain or Obama), I'd rather the Republicans be the ones to eat it.

The last time an ill-equipped, under-prepared Democrat was elected in an untenable position, Carter flunked and we got 8 years of Reagen which irreparably screwed this country. Obama would be that all over again. If McCain gets in and screws up (with Democrats controlling the House and Senate), in 2012 Hillary would be swept into office with such a mandate she'd have complete autonomy to bring about such changes it'd rock our world.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1104 on: August 29, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »
if obama loses this election, hillary and her supporters will take so much of the blame the rest of the party will not stand for her nomination in 2012
o/\o

ratioci nation

« Reply #1105 on: August 29, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
  If the next four years are going to be a failed Presidency (which is an inevitability with either McCain or Obama), I'd rather the Republicans be the ones to eat it.

The last time an ill-equipped, under-prepared Democrat was elected in an untenable position, Carter flunked and we got 8 years of Reagen which irreparably screwed this country. Obama would be that all over again. If McCain gets in and screws up (with Democrats controlling the House and Senate), in 2012 Hillary would be swept into office with such a mandate she'd have complete autonomy to bring about such changes it'd rock our world.
this is some hilarious stuff

« Reply #1106 on: August 29, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
It's also spot on. Carter gets rapped for bad economic stats, while everyone conveniently seems to forget things were 90% as bad when he took over from the Nixon/Ford years.

There is no easy economic fix to the problems were in as a country. Obama cannot give a speech and get the economy to rebound. It's not going to happen. If someone's going to get blamed for the 8 years of financial mismanagement by Bush, why not a Republican instead of a Democrat. Let McCain be a lameduck, ineffective President from day one with a firmly Democratic House and Senate and in 2012 whatever Democrat runs will get 60% of the popular vote and a virtual blank check to do whatever they want. Socialized health-care will get passed off as an economic stimulus since employers won't have to pay for it, and it'll create jobs and we'll walk into a new American Golden Age.

Or we elect Obama, watch him be over his head and unable to make serious inroads fixing Bush's problems, and the Neocons will rally and we'll get 8 years of Huckabee or some Reagen-clone. But hey, "HopeChange" makes us feel good. Like heroin.

vansmack

« Reply #1107 on: August 29, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:

It's also spot on. [/b]
Only in Julian's America...
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #1108 on: August 29, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »
Interesting that you say heroin.  Because what I think you are saying is that the best way for a heroin abuser to turn their life around is to use a whole lot more heroin, so then he will really feel like they need to quit heroin.

I agree that no president will have it easy over the next 4 years. Hillary wouldnt have had it easy either, but I think its a mistake to think that McCain fucking up would mean he would lose.  Presidential elections are more about the personalities involved.  McCain could decide not to run and they would find somebody better.

I am just amazed at your confidence that Obama will fail more so than other, based solely on a slogan.  Apparently you think he will surround himself with incompetence, but that doesnt seem to be the case in his past.  I really don't want to get in to a long debate about this on here though as it always devolves into a mess.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1109 on: September 02, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

Apparently you think he will surround himself with incompetence, but that doesnt seem to be the case in his past.  
uhh, Obama blames his uh, staff, uh, again. . . .
OU812