Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1933462 times)

vansmack

27>34

hutch

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3841 on: January 27, 2016, 05:55:09 pm »
smackie and other wise people I need your advice kind sirs..i would ask sidehatch who works in computers but whenever I ask him he knows nothing..

I need a netbook/laptop/chromebook or whatever.. CHEAP is good.

ideally I would like some hard drive space, it should be light, it should have windows office (maybe not so important), it should read an memory stick sd, main purpose to internet and post on 930 board... I used to have an asus eee netbook and it had a 300 gb drive and I really liked it but it no longer works....it was a bit slow...battery should last like 8 hours

you can get a frickin acer chromebook for $149 on amazon but I think its not a good deal.. and I dont' think it would really cut it... i'm willing to pay more for something decent.. probably no more than $300.. the less the better though.. its a crazy world.. on groupon there are a billion computers available for real cheap. .I just can't tell if they suck.. most of them have the Celeron processor which I think blows but i'm not sure... I don't need some "apple" product to be cool.. i'm not going to be cool regardless..

I realize nobody cares about having a hard drive but I kind of would like one.... it doesn't have to be too small the screen but it should be light.. I dont' want it freezing up when i'm about to post somethi8ng critical to the 930 forum.. .or upload some great video to dailymotion...or watching cat gifs..

if there is some unbelievably great desktop I would consider that too...like I said I loved my asus eee and I could get another one of those I guess but the hard drive seems to have decreased on them to 32 gb.. which is enough but i'm not sure its even the same computer at all..even if it says "EEE" or what have you..

ok sorry for the ramble.. I eagerly await replies

oh yah.. no fuckin DELL or HP.. I hate those brands. Toshiba has been good to me in the past but the Toshiba satellite quadcore with big screen laptop by partner got -I think- blows... which is surprising.. I used to always like the Toshiba laptops..

walk,on,by

« Reply #3842 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:51 pm »

« Reply #3843 on: January 27, 2016, 06:47:52 pm »
smackie and other wise people I need your advice kind sirs..i would ask sidehatch who works in computers but whenever I ask him he knows nothing..

ouch...good luck getting advice now
slack

« Reply #3844 on: January 27, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »
FYI...don't focus on drive space
you can buy a USB drive for $30 that will hold 128 Gigs
slack

vansmack

« Reply #3845 on: January 27, 2016, 07:37:11 pm »
FYI...don't focus on drive space
you can buy a USB drive for $30 that will hold 128 Gigs

Don't buy a USB hard drive either.  Use a cloud storage service.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3846 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:26 pm »
Answer these few questions and I'll help you out.

ideally I would like some hard drive space

How much hard drive space?  Are we talking 32GBs or 128GBs?  Can you get away with a hybrid local/cloud storage solution?

it should have windows office (maybe not so important)

You need to decide how important MS Office is, and which programs in particular you need and which features.   Will office365.com be enough power for you?

the Celeron processor which I think blows but i'm not sure...

Some do, some don't, but if you're just streaming video and posting on the web, it will be OK with the right OS.

I dont' want it freezing up when i'm about to post somethi8ng critical to the 930 forum..

Does the shift key have to work?  What about a period button or the enter key for a new paragraph?

if there is some unbelievably great desktop I would consider that too...

No.  Just no.
27>34

walk,on,by

« Reply #3847 on: January 27, 2016, 11:06:43 pm »
welcome, to Walmart.

hutch

« Reply #3848 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:32 am »
Answer these few questions and I'll help you out.

ideally I would like some hard drive space

How much hard drive space?  Are we talking 32GBs or 128GBs?  Can you get away with a hybrid local/cloud storage solution?

It could be 32 GB.. no less...I could probably learn to use cloud storage...

it should have windows office (maybe not so important)

You need to decide how important MS Office is, and which programs in particular you need and which features.   Will office365.com be enough power for you?

Its not that important.. sometimes I like to use word to update a CV or Excel to do some  modeling but it is not very often and not very sophisticated..still ideally I would like to be able to email somebody a document and not have them be "why isn't this guy using the industry standard".. but i'm not sure there is an industry standard anymore......  can't I do these things with google docs?

the Celeron processor which I think blows but i'm not sure...

Some do, some don't, but if you're just streaming video and posting on the web, it will be OK with the right OS.

ok

I dont' want it freezing up when i'm about to post somethi8ng critical to the 930 forum..

Does the shift key have to work?  What about a period button or the enter key for a new paragraph?[/quote]

that is funny...

if there is some unbelievably great desktop I would consider that too...

No.  Just no.
[/quote][/quote]

thanks.. so the ms office thing is not critical.. I don't even know what office365.com is actually....

ok I mucked it up with the quotes.. i'm not very computer literate I guess.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:28:46 am by hutch »

« Reply #3849 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:53 am »
can't I do these things with google docs?

yes, just don't get a lot of features that you probably don't use anyway
you are a perfect candidate for google docs and a chrome book
slack

hutch

« Reply #3850 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:14 pm »
can't I do these things with google docs?

yes, just don't get a lot of features that you probably don't use anyway
you are a perfect candidate for google docs and a chrome book

thanks sidehatch, there are like hundres of chromebooks made by all kinds of different manufacturers..they go from $99 to over $1700.. I'm sort of trying to pick ONE, you know?

« Reply #3851 on: January 29, 2016, 12:07:03 am »
My rec would be go to best buy and try a few out for feel and then look at price
they have a good return policy (might be a restocking fee?)
 the feel of a laptop (keyboard, weight, screen) are important IMO

the HP - 14" Chromebook is $250 and I think a good deal and a decent looking laptop
opposed to the ASUS/Acer ones... which just look really cheap.  You get slightly (and I mean slightly) better performance from them, but I don't think it's worth the trade off of look and feel

or you could pay 30 more and get it with 4 GB of memory

they only come with 16 gigs of storage...which should be enough for what you stated
You just need to keep stuff in the cloud with your free google account

I know VS poo pooed it, but I'd get one of those tiny USB drives for $30 from amazon
as that would give you an additional 128 gigs of storage

slack

vansmack

« Reply #3852 on: January 29, 2016, 12:34:43 am »
Sorry, busy day at the office.  I pretty much accosted Tim Brown all day...

Anyhow, get a Toshiba Chromebook and no, do not get a USB hard drive.  If anything, get an SD Card and stick in the SD Slot.  It will lay flush in the side of the Chromebook and you won't even notice it.  You can get a 64 GB class 10 for the same money Sidehatch wants you to waste, which will give you 4 times more physical storage than the Chromebook allows, and combine that with 100GB of Cloud Storage Google is going to give you, you'll have nearly 200GBs of storage without having to carry around a stupid, bulky useless drive.

I've had the original Toshiba Chromebook for 2+ years now and don't have a single Windows Machine in my arsenal.  The ONLY thing I need to use a different machine for is Lightroom....and for that I just Remote Desktop into a Windows machine or borrow the Mrs Macbook Air, which is an absolute waste of money. 
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3853 on: January 29, 2016, 12:39:01 am »
thanks

I have an idea
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:54:35 am by hutch »

« Reply #3854 on: January 29, 2016, 12:53:41 am »
for the record this was the size of the usb drive

so it's pretty darn small and not noticeable ...and you wouldn't carry it around, you'd just leave it in

But I do agree if you have a SD slot that is a good way to go

but with the usb drive you get nearly 250 gigs of storage total!
I do think the SD cards are slightly better performance...but you would never notice the dif

being flush and inside the machine is the big advantage and I agree with that logic

Not that familiar with the Toshiba ones, but if he's used it for 2 years, that 728 more days than I've used a chromebook
slack