Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1888594 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #4560 on: April 18, 2019, 12:18:18 pm »
The next X-Box will not have a slot for discs.  But you guys keep buying your tangible media....
27>34

hutch

« Reply #4561 on: April 18, 2019, 01:03:34 pm »
Just cause I buy lps doesn’t mean I get my apps on floppy discs

Bottom line SOUND MATTERS and if people enjoy lps where is the harm? For all the naysayers LPs as business are doing better than any time since 1990

But I get it...you like to feel superior...it’s your BRAND

If I had a buck for every time you quote yourself to prove you where right

vansmack

« Reply #4562 on: April 18, 2019, 02:21:30 pm »
I was as surprised as everyone else that the Mueller report was delivered to Congress on CR-ROM and not vinyl.
27>34

« Reply #4563 on: April 18, 2019, 02:27:03 pm »
I was as surprised as everyone else that the Mueller report was delivered to Congress on CR-ROM and not vinyl.
well maybe we can get a bandcamp version of it
slack

vansmack

« Reply #4564 on: April 26, 2019, 05:00:26 pm »
Begun the Hi-Def streaming wars have?

Amazon is Readying a Hi Def Music Streaming Service
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4565 on: April 30, 2019, 07:02:44 pm »
In going back and looking at Dupek Chopra's departure from the board I came across this conversation. So prescient....

it's a shame that itunes can't be used like napster... i'd pay $10 a month for that   :p

So would I. But, apparently, as napster is not making money we would be in the minority.

You guys were soooooo close....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4566 on: May 05, 2019, 03:23:29 pm »
For lack of a better place to drop this.....

Adam Sandler tribute to Chris Farley
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4567 on: May 10, 2019, 03:50:09 pm »
I know a boy, a boy called Trash. Trash Can.

I have wondered for some time which band member the song was referring to.  I always thought it was about Adam, but then when I realized the song was actually written by Adam, my mind went right to Larry.

It's gotta be Larry.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4568 on: May 13, 2019, 04:55:59 pm »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4569 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:49 pm »
smax, apologies for burdening you with this Constitutional Law 101 question, but (1) i'm foreign, and (2) the googles are not providing an answer.

hypothetical: the supreme court uses the pretext of the the alabama anti-abortion bill (or OH, or MO, or GA, or...) to cripple or kill Roe v. Wade.  then the Dems take over both houses of congress (bare with me) and the presidency in 2020.  can congress pass a law to legalize abortion again?  or would there hands be tied because of the SC's rulings?

i realize that the answer will depend on what exactly the SC's arguments are, but the question remains: can congress legislate in opposition to, or around, SC decisions?
<sig>

« Reply #4570 on: May 17, 2019, 03:50:15 pm »
would like to hear daddy-smax-pant's response

but my understanding of Roe is the SC said ...it's up to the states to govern abortion laws in your state

I think congress could still write a law legalizing it, then it would need to be challenged up to the SC to overturn it

but I'm no legal scholar
slack

vansmack

« Reply #4571 on: May 17, 2019, 04:22:00 pm »
Yes, but it would be dicey, inconsistent, and wouldn't solve the issue as it would be torn apart as soon as the conservatives gained control back.  It would also block every bill going forward in a split legislature. 

But, to answer your question and in your scenario, the best way to do it would be through a well crafted law through the commerce clause (inconsistencies in law infringe on women in X state) AND the 14th Amendment's protection of individual freedoms as I don't think one by itself would withstand this court (and I'm not convinced a really well drafted law would still be upheld by this court).   But it couldn't be a blanket ban on abortion - that would never pass and would be political suicide for any swing districts, pitting the progressives against the moderates in the Dem Party (progressives would want a complete right to abortion, swing districts would have to be more measured - in the case of rape or incest and in the first two trimesters only, for example) or lose their seats.     

Your question should have been, "Smax, what are the ways in which the Constitution can be amended?" because that's basically what it would take to get what you asked:

(1) Both houses propose an amendment with a two-thirds vote, and three-fourths of the state legislatures approve. Twenty-six of the 27 amendments were approved in this manner.

(2) Both houses propose an amendment with a two-thirds vote, and three-fourths of the states approve the amendment via ratifying conventions. Only the 21st Amendment, which repealed Prohibition, was passed in this manner.

(3) Two-thirds of the state legislatures call on Congress to hold a constitutional convention, and three-fourths of the state legislatures approve the amendment.

(4) Two-thirds of the state legislatures call on Congress to hold a constitutional convention, and three-fourths of the states approve the amendment via ratifying conventions.
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #4572 on: May 17, 2019, 04:25:30 pm »
yeah, i was about to say the exact same thing. Thanks smackie

« Reply #4573 on: May 17, 2019, 04:51:31 pm »
pretty much guaranteed that 1-4 will not happen on this issue
as there is not that much consensus on either side of the issue
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4574 on: May 17, 2019, 04:53:21 pm »
pretty much guaranteed that 1-4 will not happen on this issue
as there is not that much consensus on either side of the issue
”Pundit claims abortion is contentious issue” would be a great Onion article.
LVMH