Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1888965 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #4815 on: October 04, 2021, 01:18:13 pm »
i was a kid, sometime around 8-10 years old, i wanted an AT-AT for christmas soooooooo badly.  it was the first time i remember being obsessed with something.  my parents said we couldn't afford it and the disappointment lasted for weeks if not months.  fast forward some three and half decades later, i meet smackie, get invited to his place, and in the middle of his living room is the AT-AT of my childhood dreams.  first time i ever got to touch one.  therefore, imperial walkers will always be associated with smackie (and not nkotb).  also, i've seen smackie the morning after the night before.  he coulda used one of those.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4816 on: October 04, 2021, 03:15:54 pm »
Aww, how sweet.  I actually wanted that for Xmas 1983 as well, but they were hard to come by.  I was given the Ewok Village instead from Santa, which was awesome and I had forgotten all about the AT-AT.  Birthday 1984 we went to Toys R Us and I picked that out, which was shockingly on sale, so I could pick out two action figures to go with it, so I picked the AT-AT pilot and a snow trooper (both of which I still have and the kiddo keeps in the cockpit).     

You'll be pleased to know I've spent that last few weekends refurbishing my old Ewok Village for the kiddo to play with and had to locate a few 3.75 inch Ewoks to go with it.  They should be here by the end of the week.   She would also like Kylo's AT-M6 of her own to play with, but I don't think mom is going to let that happen.  Fingers crossed Santa sneaks one in...

I guess I should be pleased you posted a walker and not a wheelchair!
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4817 on: October 04, 2021, 03:46:29 pm »
I guess I should be pleased you posted a walker and not a wheelchair!

<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4818 on: October 04, 2021, 04:59:10 pm »
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #4819 on: October 04, 2021, 05:18:40 pm »
Lol. 

Considering how bad of a sports weekend I had, I'm ok with WhatsApp being down for a while.  99% of my WhatsApp usage is sports related threads and with United drawing at home, Notre Dame getting waxed at home, the Angels missing the playoffs again and this current mess of a Steelers team, no rush to get it back. 
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4820 on: October 04, 2021, 05:22:36 pm »
MySpace is trending on Twitter.
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4821 on: October 04, 2021, 06:30:59 pm »
the Angels missing the playoffs again

how nice of the halos to drop by this weekend and ruin the mariner's chance of finally making the playoffs for this first time in 20+ years... even though anaheim's season was over.  sweet.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #4822 on: October 04, 2021, 06:43:19 pm »
Starting to think the Angels are cursed

vansmack

« Reply #4823 on: October 04, 2021, 07:03:40 pm »
how nice of the halos to drop by this weekend and ruin the mariner's chance of finally making the playoffs for this first time in 20+ years... even though anaheim's season was over.  sweet.

Well, Boston or NY would have had to lose, which didn't happen, so there's that. 

But, the Mariners also didn't help themselves out by (1) pitching to Shohei Ohtani with Phil Gosselin hitting behind him and (2) not beating up on the rookie who started only his 5th game, or the 6 other no name pitchers who came in and threw an inning or two.  I mean, it wasn't like we had Ohtani on the mound (it was Reid Detmers and his 7.80 ERA) and in the batting order with Trout hitting behind him.  If you can't beat that, perhaps you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

(and nobody in the Angels organizations wants to see Jerry DiPoto make the playoffs)

Starting to think the Angels are cursed

Starting?   STARTING?!!!  How many more players have to die or have freak injuries to to convince you?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:05:16 pm by vansmack »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4824 on: October 05, 2021, 02:48:16 pm »
McAuliffe Is Going With the Newsom Playbook in Virginia

McAuliffe is clearly practicing strategy diversification:

"Weeks before Virginia’s gubernatorial election, the campaign for Democratic candidate Terry McAuliffe is reaching out to an unexpected constituency: Taylor Swift fans.

On Tuesday, the McAulliffe campaign launched a series of Facebook, Instagram, and Google search ads highlighting his opponent Glenn Youngkin’s role in the controversial purchase of Taylor Swift’s master recordings in 2019. The buyout of Swift’s masters has been a point of bitter contention for the singer and her fans and could be an unexpected liability in the upcoming race."

mo'

(as if Jules' vote wasn't already locked up...)
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4825 on: October 05, 2021, 02:53:59 pm »
Don't mess with Swifties - get that shit on TikTok!

Also, Jesus The Verge:

Correction: This article wrongly stated that Braun sold the rights to the masters back to Swift. He sold them to a different private equity firm in 2020.

HOW?!!
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4826 on: October 05, 2021, 02:56:51 pm »
You act like I'm not the person who suggested this to Terry.
LVMH

« Reply #4827 on: October 05, 2021, 04:08:02 pm »
was that after he bought you the GandT?
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4828 on: October 05, 2021, 04:20:11 pm »
was that after he bought you the GandT?
Hes bought me a beer but never a G&T.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4829 on: October 13, 2021, 01:23:30 pm »
I actually wanted that for Xmas 1983 as well, but they were hard to come by.  I was given the Ewok Village instead from Santa, which was awesome and I had forgotten all about the AT-AT.  Birthday 1984 we went to Toys R Us and I picked that out, which was shockingly on sale,

Just read an article in the WSJ about how toy manufacturers are working hard to untangle the supply-chain snarls.   Roughly half of all retail toy sales come in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Toys that arrive too late won’t sell until they are heavily discounted after the holidays.

Early March birthday for the win!
27>34