Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2032889 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #675 on: May 28, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Did you stop listening to new music 10 years ago, or are you just selling off the cd's that are 10 years old or older????
I would say that I stopped buying CD's to keep about 8 years ago and did heavy trading at Amoeba for the last 5 years, so I didn't keep a CD around for much longer than a few weeks.
27>34

« Reply #676 on: May 28, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »
ah, i see. that makes sense.

vansmack

« Reply #677 on: May 28, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »
Any CD I kept would have been at Smackette's request, but she has now come around to the completely digital world in the last few months, hence the ability to sell them all off.
27>34

« Reply #678 on: May 28, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »
Yeah, sure blame the Candlebox on the wife.

Originally posted by vansmack:

Any CD I kept would have been at Smackette's request, but she has now come around to the completely digital world in the last few months, hence the ability to sell them all off. [/b]

vansmack

« Reply #679 on: May 28, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »
  Yeah, sure blame the Candlebox on the wife.

My bad.  Any CD kept in the last 5 or 6 years would have been at Smackette's request.  Any CD before that which is not Ani DiFranco or D'Angleo was all my doing.  I'm the last person to put my musical tastes onto someone else.  Including Eve's Plum, which I listened to when I pulled it off the shelf on Monday.
27>34

thirsty moore

« Reply #680 on: May 28, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »
I'm betting that Vansmack saw Candlebox open for Rush some time in the mid 90's?  Maybe that's how he got into them?

« Reply #681 on: May 28, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »
I'm betting that Vansmack joined one of those clubs where you get 10 cd's for a penny.

And he did it like fifty times.

vansmack

« Reply #682 on: May 28, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  I'm betting that Vansmack saw Candlebox open for Rush some time in the mid 90's?  Maybe that's how he got into them?
April 1994.  The Pond in Anaheim AND the Great Western Forum in LA.  Awesome shows, but I still prefer Rush outdoors.

I didn't list the Candlebox Bootlegs I bought from that tour.  I actually liked Candlebox before that show...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #683 on: May 28, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
  I'm betting that Vansmack joined one of those clubs where you get 10 cd's for a penny.

And he did it like fifty times.
No comment.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #684 on: May 28, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »
For the kids in the audience who have no idea what we're talking about, we debating the merits of which Candlebox song is better:

Far Behind

You

Change

The necessary in the 90's acoustic ballad Cover Me.

I've never seen Blossom this way, but I like it more now.

I'm going with the Letterman live performace of Far Behind on VHS...dude looks like Jay of Silent Bob fame with a mic.  Awesome.  You can't fake passion like that.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #685 on: May 28, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »
now maybe
 i didnt mean to treat you oh so bad
 but i diiiid it anyway
o/\o

thirsty moore

« Reply #686 on: May 28, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »
I saw the same tour but on the East Coast at the Caps Center.  

Originally posted by vansmack:
 April 1994.  The Pond in Anaheim AND the Great Western Forum in LA.  Awesome shows, but I still prefer Rush outdoors.

vansmack

« Reply #687 on: May 29, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »
Alright, after a long discussion with my current DSL internet service provider that ended in me cancelling the service, I'm seeking a new ISP solution.    

Is there anybody out there not using a DSL or cable modem solution?  Unfortunately I can't get fiber yet, a cable modem is difficult with DirecTV and the Board of Supervisors blocked the free google wi-fi.  With wimax not being supported yet, I'm tired of being behind third world countries in internet access.  Is anybody trying anything cool?

I'm looking at EVDO routers and the like.  I'm up for anything!  What are you guys doing?
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #688 on: May 30, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »
i'm posting this here because smacks loves guitar hero, and i don't feel like starting another thread.

guitar hero on the DS: when marketing goes wrong

so embarrassing. i believe the singer in the video goes by the name "nrketch".

(and sorry that i can't help you with your previous question about ISP alternatives... currently my ISP is the university, can't complain)
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #689 on: May 30, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »
Wow.  That's um...somebody should lose their job for that.

As for my ISP, I'm testing Sprint's EVDO network (Rev A - 3.0Mbps) USB Modem which I will eventually plug into an EVDO wireless router, that is being sent to me.  It's a fairly flexible solution in that we can unplug the USB modem and take it with us anywhere we are with a laptop that has cell phone coverage, and share it at the apt when we're home via router.  It also helps that there's a Spint tower near our apt.  

This will be a precursor to switching to Sprint/Clearwire's WiMax when it's available in my area.

For others that may be interested in this solution, Verizon has a 5 GB download limit per month, and Sprint will be introducing a similar limit on June 20.  However, I was informed that they would be grandfathering customers in who have an unlimited package ($59 a month) prior to June 20, so I went ahead and did it.
27>34