Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2027964 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1860 on: February 05, 2010, 01:44:26 pm »
Thanks vansmack. How's your media center working out?

Beautifully, thanks for asking!

My main problem has been deciding between a universal remote to operate Windows Media Center 7 (MC7) in addition to my TV/DVR/DVD or using a wireless keyboard with a built in trackball (like this).

I was using a harmony remote for a while and it operates the MC7 functions fine, but there are many times when the programming I wanted to watch is available online and using a wireless mouse in bed is a huge problem.  The keyboard is fine, but without a flat surface (and the distance from the sensor for the mouse is problematic) it isn't a workable solution.   I will likely end up having both in the room and go back and forth depending on if I'm watching a ripped file or online content....

The only other downside is how to organize TV Show content in MC7.  I don't use my Media Center to record TV, but I do have a lot of ripped TV shows in my collection.  MC7 assumes all movies to be DVD's and doesn't handle TV shows the way I would like.  The end result, for example, is about 6 dozen different thumbnails, one for each episode of Entourage.  This is a little difficult (read: time consuming) to navigate.  With the West Wing, Entourage and Mad Men alone I have over 100 thumbnails to go through.  I may go back to ISOs or VOBs to cut down on the number of thumbnails, but a lot of what I have is HD and I don't want to give that up (and you know my thoughts on Blu-ray...).   The ideal solution is a Db that reads folder content instead of individual files so that I have one thumbnail for Season One, open it, and then choose between the episodes from that season - just haven't found that yet and I'm not up for building right now.

Anyhow, I love the Zotac MAGHD - no regrets.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1861 on: February 08, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »
Stuck in side with no satellite dish coverage because of the snow....this could be just the ticket:

1080p, 5.1 surround sound coming to Netflix Watch Instantly in 2010?

By Richard Lawler  posted Feb 8th 2010 at 6:12PM

Netflix Watch Instantly fans could be due for a big upgrade, as CNET has heard the company will roll out 1080p and 5.1 surround sound later this year. No word on timing or any other details, but this could mean its moving to version 3 of Microsoft's Silverlight streaming platform with its additional tweaks for adaptive streaming and hardware graphics acceleration. Also unknown is how much bandwidth would be necessary, but considering Microsoft already uses very similar technology for its 1080p Instant On videos on Zune Marketplace through the Xbox 360 while only requiring 3 Mbps and VUDU HDX 1080p videos only state a minimum of 4500 Kbps, a massive jump in available bandwidth might not be necessary if you already get clear 720p video. The last big hurdle? How much content will be available that way, Gizmodo points out only about 6 percent of current offerings stream in HD we'll be watching carefully if the pace picks up going forward.

----------------------

Perfect for my ION based Nettop, but sadly I don't have the internet bandwidth for 1080p unil WIMAX rolls out in SF.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1862 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:26 pm »
Not that I needed another reason to fly Virgin, but here's their latest flight attendant graduates: Smackie approved.

27>34

nkotb

« Reply #1863 on: February 11, 2010, 06:27:59 pm »
Yeah, that back row is totally hot.

Not that I needed another reason to fly Virgin, but here's their latest flight attendant graduates: Smackie approved.

vansmack

« Reply #1864 on: February 11, 2010, 06:32:23 pm »
Yeah, that back row is totally hot.

I see a lot of them on the SF to Fort Lauderdale flights...
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1865 on: February 15, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »
Sir,

Your thoughts on the new Windows Phone, please.

http://gizmodo.com/5471805/windows-phone-7-series-everything-is-different-now

My contract runs out in September and I'm already plotting my upgrade from a Blackberry Curve 8830.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #1866 on: February 15, 2010, 05:48:59 pm »
Haha, I was on an IM with Redmond when I read this.  If you've got 20 minutes, watch this video:

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/LauraFoy/First-Look-Windows-Phone-7-Series-Hands-on-Demo/

I'll just start by saying that I'm shocked at how much Microsoft has revamped 7 Series from previous iterations of Windows Mobile.  Nothing looks like it was held over from WinMo 5 or 6. In addition, they've pushed a more regular user friendly (READ: non-business) interface and application integration.  Adding Zune to the phone is something I've advocated for in this space for a long time and will finally make the subscription service model something a lot of people will add.

I also like that (other than Bing) they're not pushing they're wares over other more popular wares.  For example, though Windows Live is their competition to Facebook, they're not ignoring FB's popularity in integrating social networking - FB/Twitter/Gmail/Flickr support is everywhere.  Xbox live integration I'll have to wait and see on - MIX10 next month will be it's big unveiling.

This is a huge step in the right direction for Microsoft (following Win7 too, I'm just shocked!).  I've been told that I won't see a copy for "a few months" which isn't surprising since there are no phones currently available in the States that meet the minimum hardware requirements.  I expect to have HD2 by April and the xda folks will get 7 Series before I get an official release. By September, I should have much more clear answer for you, but your contract is expring at the right time to take advantage of all the new competition in the msartphone sphere.

Bottom line - I'm stoked for this.  Super stoked. 
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1867 on: February 15, 2010, 06:27:52 pm »
do you think the new windows phone will be a blackberry killer in terms of interaction with Outlook/Exchange on business servers?

i need a phone that will function well as my work and personal phone, i hate carrying two phones
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #1868 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:16 pm »
do you think the new windows phone will be a blackberry killer in terms of interaction with Outlook/Exchange on business servers?

i need a phone that will function well as my work and personal phone, i hate carrying two phones

I think you have that backwards. 

My WinMo 6.5 is already much better with an Exchange Server than any Blackberry out there.  It's cheaper (there is no need for the $30/mo Blackberry Enterprise Server Subscription), it's easier to setup (it runs Activesync Exchange Server push natively - no need for a secondary Blackberry server or tech initiated activation), is much more reliable (RIM has been plagued with outages), has better contact options (Outlook, personal email and Facebook), supports multiple calendars and has a far better broswer/media player.

I haven't carried two phones since I got my HTC Diamond with WinMo 6.1 back in Sept 2008.  6.5.3 has been even better.
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1869 on: February 15, 2010, 07:28:12 pm »
😐 🎶

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1870 on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:02 pm »
I'm pretty sure I've said it before up here but I'll say it again.  I'm astounded by RIM's domination of the business market at this stage in the game.  Additional hardware and software costs in the enterprise, licenscing fees per device, dull vanilla handsets.  Not to mention two addtional points of failure.  I guess it pays to be first.  But MS is catching up. 

And from a day to day engineering standpoint, I'd be happy to throw our BES server out the freaking window. 

At my shop I'm finally starting to see the tide turn.  Many of the Blackberry zealots are moving to other platforms and are very happy with the results.

vansmack

« Reply #1871 on: February 16, 2010, 12:50:18 pm »
Microsoft is killing me these days....

Bigger than Halo 3?  A Sneak Peek at Halo:Reach
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1872 on: February 16, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »
Worth a read:  Making it different versus making a difference

But for those that want the Clif notes version:

"How many apps does it take to screw in a light bulb? That was the question facing Microsoft as rival mobile operating systems backed by Apple and Google added tens of thousands of applications giving users stylus-free access to a wide range of capabilities."

"Key among the new [Microsoft] concepts are hubs, which are live centers of interest that seamlessly branch to each other. For example, the People hub branches off to maps, Xbox Live, and social networks, and a Music and Videos hub integrates with streaming services such as Pandora instead of having to return to the device's main screen and relaunch it. "

"In this case, the targets were Apple, which was chided for the iPhone's app-centric unitasking that requires frequent launching and in and out of different apps, and the many smartphones and feature phones that have aped the iPhone's appearance....while its approach is unique, Microsoft is touting many of the same integration messages that we've been hearing from Palm and Motorola."

"Windows Phone Series 7 is different from its predecessors, it's different from the iPhone, and it's different from desktop Windows, But different doesn't always mean better. Microsoft's burden is to prove that its visual distinction and smooth integration outweigh the advantages of market leaders."

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:15:38 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1873 on: February 22, 2010, 02:42:43 pm »
Does anybody want to take credit for the 5:30AM wake up call I received this morning from the 202 area code?  I didn't recognize the number and the voice mail box isn't setup.

My first guess was sweetcell plotting his revenge, but he's man enough to use his own phone....
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1874 on: February 22, 2010, 04:18:47 pm »
i would love to claim that one, but the animosity hadn't started yet so i had no reason to hate you (specifically).  i would indeed have used my own phone.  there is no honor in anonymity.

now i can't use this bomb tomorrow morning, no honor in stealing someone else's prank.  the plotting continues.
<sig>