Author Topic: This weekend....  (Read 5277 times)

freddyadu

Re: This weekend....
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  for soccer fans, time to rest and get ready for this:

Round of 16

22/02/2005 at 2:45 pm US eastern time

Liverpool - Leverkusen
 PSV - Monaco

will the 2 yanks get the start in these games?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 06:47:00 pm »
new format = more space, woohoo....

FRIDAY

In a weekend jam-packed with options, 930 Club hosts the hottest bill. The Music??s gritty britpop has been the toast of the UK for four years ?? an eternity in their notoriously fickle scene. Openers ?? and fellow Brits ?? Kasabian are just beginning to make waves across the pond with infectious, electro-tinged rockers like ??Club Foot.?

Jazz fans have been salivating over this date for months. Legends Herbie Hancock, Roy Hargrove, and Michael Brecker take the stage at Warner Theatre for their Directions in Music tour. The unique collaboration started in 2001 by honoring Miles Davis and John Coltrane, and now celebrates everything from free jazz to Ray Charles.

Products of the 90s roots-rock explosion, local favorites Pat McGee Band once flirted with major label success, but now stick to the well-worn club circuit. Catch their syrupy harmonies and white bread hooks in their second of two nights at The Birchmere.

SATURDAY

Before Will and Grace and Queer Eye, there was Jill Sobule??s ??I Kissed a Girl.? The cheeky folk tune about a one-off lesbian tryst catapulted Sobule into the limelight. Unbeknownst to most, Sobule ?? at the 930 Club opening for nebbish folkster Martin Sexton ?? has spent the last ten years releasing albums and honing her songwriting talent.

Ukrainian political refugee Eugene Hütz and his bizarre gypsy-punk outfit Gogol Bordello, at Black Cat, play frenetic Eastern European tunes and stage one of the most unique shows you can find in a rock club. Local supergroup Weird War (aka Scene Creamers) opens.

The grand dame of DC indie rock, Mary Timony (of Helium fame), headlines a $6 show at the cozy Warehouse Next Door with Panoply Academy, Horses, and Edie Sedgwick ?? a self-styled ??transgendered reincarnation? of the famed Andy Warhol Superstar.

SUNDAY

Washington Social Club, headlining Black Cat for the 50th time in the past year, continues to establish their reputation as the hardest working band in town. Their energetic power pop and stick-in-your-head hooks keep the mop-headed crowds coming back for more.

Prince Dance Party, at Modern in Georgetown, features DJ Dredd mashing up Prince classics against Madonna hits.

Goldfinger, headlining at 930 Club, was one of the few members of the mid-90s So-Cal ska-punk craze ?? which included Sublime and No Doubt ?? that didn??t break through to the mainstream. Openers include synth-rock new wave throwbacks theSTART.

MONDAY

While we in the States lean heavily on derivative punk-pop and shrill emo for our ??modern rock,? those crazy Brits keep fawning over innovative guitar bands like The Futureheads. Headlining 930 Club, The Futureheads have a similar herky-jerky post-punk feel as countrymen Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party.

The Birchmere features legendary singer/songwriters Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Joe Ely, Guy Clark, and Paul Brady in their third performance at the Shush-mere in two weeks. The previous two shows both sold out at $100 per, but it appears that there are still a few tickets left for tonight??s performance.
(o|o)

Jaguär

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 07:11:00 pm »
Looks rather nice.

Except that I would nitpick on one tiny point, and it's a nitpick so just take it as that.

In my opinion, I think that Jill Sobule got a little too much write up while Martin Sexton, the headliner, was almost written off. I think a little more could have been given to him. Of course, I'd kind of like to see him but absolutely cannot stand Jill Sobule. Maybe I'm just being biased.

SalParadise

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 07:18:00 pm »
sure.

me and a friend of mine play the music at saint-ex this friday night.

the "bridge & tunnel" crowd won't bite. i promise.

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 07:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by freddyadu:
  will the 2 yanks get the start in these games?
Landon made his first start for Leverkusen last week after seeing limited playing time.  I doubt he starts in the Champions League.

Beasley has been a regular starter, and at least on the bench for most of PSV's recent games.  He did score in the last PSV Champions League game, and played in 2 of the last 4 of the group stage games.  I would be surprised if he started, but not be surprised if he was a second half substitute.
27>34

snailhook

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 07:37:00 pm »
Saturday Mary Timony's at Warehouse Next Door with three other bands for just $6:
     Mary Timony
     Panoply Academy
     Horses
     Edie Sedgwick

Are the other three bands all local?
thanks, chimbly.

panoply academy are from bloomington, indiana and have been around since the mid-'90s. i guess you could call them post-punk with an experimental bent.

horses is 3 black eyes and 1 et at it. and that's exactly what they sound like.

edie sedgwick is justin moyer (of el guapo and antelope) in drag. it's quite amusing, though doesn't do justice to my favorite drug-addled debutante of all-time.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 08:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Looks rather nice.

Except that I would nitpick on one tiny point, and it's a nitpick so just take it as that.

In my opinion, I think that Jill Sobule got a little too much write up while Martin Sexton, the headliner, was almost written off. I think a little more could have been given to him. Of course, I'd kind of like to see him but absolutely cannot stand Jill Sobule. Maybe I'm just being biased.
Martin Sexton, in my exceedingly humble opinion, is boring and vanilla.  I hadn't heard Jill Sobule's name in 10 years, so I thought I'd talk about her.
(o|o)

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 08:23:00 pm »
Check the Iota or Jammin Java listings once in awhile, Mr. Knowitall. She plays those places with some regularity, I do think.
   :eek:  

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

Looks rather nice.

Martin Sexton, in my exceedingly humble opinion, is boring and vanilla.  I hadn't heard Jill Sobule's name in 10 years, so I thought I'd talk about her. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 08:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by SalParadise:
Were you guys there last Friday?  We were there 8:30 - 10:15 or so, before the Wrens show -- table right in front of the DJ booth, and we LOVED the tunes.

Medusa

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 09:12:00 pm »
 any hot tips?  something you want to plug?
Of course!

My birthday and SACCHARINE!  :)

See this thread:
 http://www.930.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009156

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

SalParadise

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 09:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by SalParadise:
Were you guys there last Friday?  We were there 8:30 - 10:15 or so, before the Wrens show -- table right in front of the DJ booth, and we LOVED the tunes. [/b]
that was probably jonas. he plays some almost every friday before 10pm. he should be there this week too.

we play once a month.

Jaguär

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 09:57:00 pm »

Looks rather nice.

Martin Sexton, in my exceedingly humble opinion, is boring and vanilla.  I hadn't heard Jill Sobule's name in 10 years, so I thought I'd talk about her. [/b]
Okay, now I need to do some back peddling here. All along I had been thinking of some other artist; concerning Martin Sexton. Truly sorry about that. Now I know I'm not showing up for the show as I had toyed with depending on how my Saturday was going.

Now I'm going to go crazy trying to figure out who I had been thinking of. Some English guy who probably played with Bert Jansch or Fairport Convention and the likes. Bet Rotten or Snail will know.

helicon1

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 09:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  for soccer fans, time to rest and get ready for this:

Round of 16

22/02/2005 at 2:45 pm US eastern time
 Real Madrid - Juventus
 Liverpool - Leverkusen
 PSV - Monaco
 Bayern - Arsenal

23/02/2005  at 2:45 pm US eastern time
 Porto - Internazionale
 Barcelona - Chelsea
 Man. United - Milan
 Bremen - Lyon
See you at Summers, The Glorified Denny's!

snailhook

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 10:20:00 pm »
Now I'm going to go crazy trying to figure out who I had been thinking of. Some English guy who probably played with Bert Jansch or Fairport Convention and the likes. Bet Rotten or Snail will know.
i do...you are thinking of martin simpson, who is an amazing celtic fingerpicker and runs in the same circles as richard thompson, bert jansch, and john renbourne.

martin sexton is bland coffeehouse folk.

:)

Jaguär

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 10:27:00 pm »
Thank you!

That's it!

And I agree.