Author Topic: You gotta be KIDDING moments  (Read 18232 times)

Darth Ed

Re: You gotta be KIDDING moments
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 11:25:00 pm »
For what it's worth, I only applied to one university (not quite Ivy, but real close), and I graduated in the top 1% of my high school class with a near perfect GPA. I had no doubt I would be accepted really, so I wasn't worried. However, I applied via their Early Decision program. If I didn't get accepted via Early Decision, there would still have been time to apply elsewhere. Not that there really were any other schools on my radar. Anyway, if Brown is your first choice by a wide margin, you might want to consider Early Decision, assuming Brown has something like that. The best part about Early Decision is that you find out in December and the stress is gone (if you've been accepted, of course). Meanwhile, all your peers are still stressing out until like March or whenever colleges normally send out their acceptance letters.

Not that anyone cares, but something like 80% of my tuition was paid by a combination of performance-based (i.e., scholarship grants) and need-based financial aid. I paid about 15% in student loans (which took me like 4 years to pay off). My parents paid about 5%. If you have rich parents though, I guess you can forget about any need-based financial aid...

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2006, 11:37:00 pm »
Brown differed everyone (at least from my school) that applied early decision this year.

ratioci nation

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2006, 06:20:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  Brown differed everyone (at least from my school) that applied early decision this year.
who did they differ you from? people that could spell deferred? sorry couldn't resist   :D

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 07:08:00 am »
Originally posted by Graace:
  On another note on the same topic. . What did you all feel was aspect of your college experience that had the most impact on your overall final impression of it?
1.  Music scene
 2.  Female scene
 3.  Drug scene

slowgraffiti

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2006, 08:04:00 am »
i'm a little thankful that my college application process was so abnormal because i missed out on most of the stress.
 at the begining of the year i thought i wanted to go to reed, but my dad's been pushing this one school on me since i was seven and made me do a weekend visit there. i liked it so much i started my application essays the day i came back. i wasn't sure that i'd get in because i have really awful grades and i was a junior to boot but i guess they didn't mind because a little less than two weeks after all the stuff was in i got my letter. i guess most of my experience was a result of the school, it's super small and i guess they don't get many applicants because i think the acceptance rate is 67% or something.

chaz

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 08:14:00 am »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:
  i'm a little thankful that my college application process was so abnormal because i missed out on most of the stress.
 at the begining of the year i thought i wanted to go to reed, but my dad's been pushing this one school on me since i was seven and made me do a weekend visit there. i liked it so much i started my application essays the day i came back. i wasn't sure that i'd get in because i have really awful grades and i was a junior to boot but i guess they didn't mind because a little less than two weeks after all the stuff was in i got my letter. i guess most of my experience was a result of the school, it's super small and i guess they don't get many applicants because i think the acceptance rate is 67% or something.
What's the school?

slowgraffiti

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 09:11:00 am »
st. john's

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 09:46:00 am »
 On another note on the same topic. . What did you all feel was aspect of your college experience that had the most impact on your overall final impression of it?
jesuits are great teachers

that said, the law school application process is just as bad, if not worse, than what you're describing with undergrad these days ... all the focus on one shitty assessment exam, one arbitrary ranking system, and the "prestige" of the school (and how that all snowballs into actual employment) is just sick
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2006, 09:47:00 am »
  st. john's
hissssss
(o|o)

slowgraffiti

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2006, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

st. john's
hissssss [/b]
aww, what's wrong with it?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2006, 10:21:00 am »
 aww, what's wrong with it?
their basketball program ... welcome to the big east
(o|o)

slowgraffiti

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2006, 11:01:00 am »
oh, i always forget there's another one... i'm going to the one in annapolis http://www.sjca.edu/asp/home.aspx

chaz

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2006, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

jesuits are great teachers

that said, the law school application process is just as bad, if not worse, than what you're describing with undergrad these days ... all the focus on one shitty assessment exam, one arbitrary ranking system, and the "prestige" of the school (and how that all snowballs into actual employment) is just sick [/b]
I've got a few Jesuit education associations as clients....very cool and nice people.  Though I must admit, never being religious it was strange for me being around all those priests at first!

eltee

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2006, 11:30:00 am »
This question is trippy. (Practice those essay Q&A's.  :) )

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2006, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

Originally posted by you be betty:
who did they differ you from? people that could spell deferred? sorry couldn't resist    :D  [/b]
I KNEW it had an e!