Author Topic: Marah at Jammin Java  (Read 1701 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Marah at Jammin Java
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:33:00 am »
Marah is playing this club in a few weeks.  Anyone ever seen them?  How were they???  Also, is Jammin Java a decent place to see shows?

Re: Marah at Jammin Java
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:39:00 am »
I saw Marah a long time ago, opening for Steve Earle at the 9:30. I wasn't blown away by them then, but based on good word of mouth, I'd give them another chance sometime.

Once you get over the strip mall effect, Jammin Java is a great venue. I'm no sound expert, but I've thought it was very good, even during a full on rock show. The seating is a bonus, though they get rid of it during larger shows (and this one may be such). The food is reasonably tasty, and the staff are always nice.

Plus, I was told (by a fellow 9:30 boardie) that they let children under six in for free, unlike the Birchmere and Wolftrap, which charge full adult admission price for newborns and older.

chaz

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
Thanks Rhett.  There's a local kids band called Rocknocerous that has a weekly residency at JJ....thought I'd share since you're a Dad now and all.  Congrats btw!  Word is that things are going quite smoothly for the 3 of you.

Marah is on a Wednesday night I think, but I'll probably go just the same.  Show is listed to start at 8:00.  Do things usually start on time there?

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 09:56:00 am »
Thanks! Compared to some of the baby horror stories I've heard, I think things are going very well.

If memory serves me correctly, the listed time is indeed the time that the opener will go on. I think they have maybe an 11pm curfew, so they need to keep things moving. Typically, they begin seating 30 minutes before the show when there is seating.

Originally posted by chaz:
  Thanks Rhett.  There's a local kids band called Rocknocerous that has a weekly residency at JJ....thought I'd share since you're a Dad now and all.  Congrats btw!  Word is that things are going quite smoothly for the 3 of you.

Marah is on a Wednesday night I think, but I'll probably go just the same.  Show is listed to start at 8:00.  Do things usually start on time there?

chaz

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 09:59:00 am »
I'll never forget driving home from the hospital wiht my daughter.  I drove as if I had a dozen eggs sitting on the back seat.  She cried non stop the whole first night she was home and I thought I was really in for it....but she's pretty much been an angel ever since.  Except when she fights with her little brother!
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Thanks! Compared to some of the baby horror stories I've heard, I think things are going very well.

If memory serves me correctly, the listed time is indeed the time that the opener will go on. I think they have maybe an 11pm curfew, so they need to keep things moving. Typically, they begin seating 30 minutes before the show when there is seating.

Originally posted by chaz:

[/b]

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 10:08:00 am »
the coffee at jj is pretty intense too
o/\o

mrpee

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »
Word o' warning tho: This is not a full-on Marah show, even though it is being advertised as such. It will be Dave and Serge (the two main guys) playing acoustic, plus bass player Kirk and thier pal Christine Smith on accordian, trumpet, etc. Their may be a glimmer of the springs-sprung Philly bar-band magic, but I dunno how much. Buyer beware.

...I'll be there, though.

chaz

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by mrpee:
  Word o' warning tho: This is not a full-on Marah show, even though it is being advertised as such. It will be Dave and Serge (the two main guys) playing acoustic, plus bass player Kirk and thier pal Christine Smith on accordian, trumpet, etc. Their may be a glimmer of the springs-sprung Philly bar-band magic, but I dunno how much. Buyer beware.

Thanks...I was wondering what the deal was with these "quartet" shows as they are calling them on the Marah website.  I'll probably still go.  Lots of their material would probably translate pretty well to this format.

eltee

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:41:00 pm »

That type of show might be more my style. I worked their last show - super nice guys, as well as their manager. The show had lots of energy and a fan following. (It was an open floor that night.) It was a Friday, so they performed late. It was sweaty.
 I had never heard them before, and I appreciated the energy & good time, but they are not for me. I think I would have listened to them more back in college (if that makes sense.) Unfortunately, as nice and fun as the show was, I am not a fan of their recordings.
 Jammin' Java is a decent place to see a show. Especially for seated shows. It helps to get there a little ahead of the crowd if you want to eat dinner.
 The shows I've been to have never started late. The only issue I've had in the past year is the opener(s) play longer than I anticipate, pushing the main act back. Rhett is correct on end time. I don't think they can go past 11/11:30.
 (And Rhett, they do have good kids' shows!)

chaz

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:

That type of show might be more my style. I worked their last show - super nice guys, as well as their manager. The show had lots of energy and a fan following. (It was an open floor that night.) It was a Friday, so they performed late. It was sweaty.
 I had never heard them before, and I appreciated the energy & good time, but they are not for me. I think I would have listened to them more back in college (if that makes sense.) Unfortunately, as nice and fun as the show was, I am not a fan of their recordings.
 Jammin' Java is a decent place to see a show. Especially for seated shows. It helps to get there a little ahead of the crowd if you want to eat dinner.
 The shows I've been to have never started late. The only issue I've had in the past year is the opener(s) play longer than I anticipate, pushing the main act back. Rhett is correct on end time. I don't think they can go past 11/11:30.
 (And Rhett, they do have good kids' shows!) [/b]
This band tends to veer all over the place style wise...I generally like their folky stuff and their soul-infuenced stuff much more than their rock type stuff.  Shame for me they've mostly abandoned the soul stuff on the last record or two.  The show should be interesting though.