Author Topic: Hunter Thompson ends his fear and loathing  (Read 22276 times)

Chisai Fry

Re: Hunter Thompson ends his fear and loathing
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
Wow, that is odd.

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 12:14:00 pm »
How could anyone not see this as sad news? The guy was one of the most brilliant and important writer/reporters of our time.
احمد

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
Having never met the guy and not having known him personally, his death is no more sad than any other death of any other human being, to me. Any death is sad, but hey, everybody does it.

He could have done his wife the decency of going out into the woods to do it, rather than leaving her with a bloody mess in the kitchen.

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  How could anyone not see this as sad news? The guy was one of the most brilliant and important writer/reporters of our time.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
I like how everybody posting in this thread is trying to out-Thompson-cred each other:

"...I mean, he was more than just a mentor to me, he was my bro..."

Guiny

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 12:56:00 pm »
He killed himself, that's obviously something he decided to do. So why be sad because of it? He's not sad so why should we be?

Celeste

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
PJ O'Rourke would never blow his own brains out.

lionforce5

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:
  PJ O'Rourke would never blow his own brains out.
Well of course not...if he did, he'd lose  his cushy job as a panelist, catering to thirtysomething white people who're burdened with too much dry humor and a healthy dose of liberal guilt...

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  He killed himself, that's obviously something he decided to do. So why be sad because of it? He's not sad so why should we be?
Because it's sad when someone kills themselves you numskull.  Sad for the spouse, kids, parents, brothers, sisters and friends left behind.  And yes, also sad that a person is so miserable that they'd do such a thing.

Guiny

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
 Because it's sad when someone kills themselves you numskull.  Sad for the spouse, kids, parents, brothers, sisters and friends left behind.  And yes, also sad that a person is so miserable that they'd do such a thing. [/QB]
Sounds like you were in love with this man if your using tough guy words like numskull to defend his honor.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Yes, it is sad that he would care so little about those people that you mention that he would choose a destructive lifelstyle and such a gruesome way to depart the earth.

But I still feel more sad on behalf of any of the anonymous tsunami victims.

Because it's sad when someone kills themselves you numskull.  Sad for the spouse, kids, parents, brothers, sisters and friends left behind.  And yes, also sad that a person is so miserable that they'd do such a thing. [/b]

chaz

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »

Because it's sad when someone kills themselves you numskull.  Sad for the spouse, kids, parents, brothers, sisters and friends left behind.  And yes, also sad that a person is so miserable that they'd do such a thing. [/b]
Sounds like you were in love with this man if your using tough guy words like numskull to defend his honor. [/QB]
Hardly love...maybe a deep deep like.  I'm a much bigger fan of empathy than I am of H.S.T., even if he did write one of the funniest books I've ever read.

chaz

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 03:13:00 pm »
Yes Rhett....how insightful of you to point out the fact that the plight of the anonmyous tsunami victim is a very sad one.

Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
  Yes, it is sad that he would care so little about those people that you mention that he would choose a destructive lifelstyle and such a gruesome way to depart the earth.

[/b]

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »
You're welcome. Always good to point out the obvious to people who go overboard with their sympathy.

And where's the empathy for the families of John Raitt and Sandra Dee? They died too.

Yes Rhett....how insightful of you to point out the fact that the plight of the anonmyous tsunami victim is a very sad one.

[/b]
[/b]

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
  Always good to point out the obvious to people who go overboard with their sympathy.
Didn't realize this was your decision to make.  Oh wait, it's not.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
  And where's the empathy for the families of John Raitt and Sandra Dee? They died too.
Go ahead and start a new post if it means that much to you.
27>34