Author Topic: Hunter Thompson ends his fear and loathing  (Read 22274 times)

vansmack

Re: Hunter Thompson ends his fear and loathing
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2005, 06:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
  ok, whatever you say. I'm sure everyone really cares. I'm glad you are here to run the board and set everything straight. I'm sure everyone else is too.
We call this "deflection."
27>34

Barcelona

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2005, 06:25:00 pm »
I mistakenly critiqued ONE concert that I wasn't at, basing it on the poor quality of their album.
"Mistakenly critiqued ONE concert that I wasn't at"? How is that possible? Stop defending the impossible!

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2005, 06:25:00 pm »
Thanks for sharing the first piece of insight on this two page thread!

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  That product description is a little misleading. Sounds like whoever wrote it may just have seen the movie. I can see someone getting this impression from watching the movie alone but the book, while giving detailed accounts of his drug use, goes into what he was thinking about and pondering regarding the world and so many aspects of life and the people around him. One memorable excerpt dealt with his trying to come to terms with the end of the sixties and the hippie movement. One thing he finally realized during that trip to Vegas was that the idiology behind the hippie movement, as promising as it sounded, had died. This was very difficult for him and many others who were living at the time to grasp since they had put so much stock in this idea that people would some day be able to live freely in a world full of peace where they'd be able to indulge themselves in whatever activities they wanted to as long as they didn't harm others. Much of the book (and the rest of his writing for that matter) is a bunch of interesting lamentations like the one mentioned above.

azaghal1981

احمد

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2005, 07:13:00 pm »
  I mistakenly critiqued ONE concert that I wasn't at, basing it on the poor quality of their album. I admitted to my mistake, which I don't see as uncommon (how many of us can't remember if we've seen or not seen such and such crap movie, yet we still remember it as crap)

i've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like BSS's "You Forgot It In People" (although I'm sure they're out there)... i'm fairly certain that the album was roundly critically praised, and I can't recall ever reading a negative review of it.

That aside, BSS just doesn't comapre to some crap will smith movie.
(o|o)

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2005, 10:02:00 pm »
I seem to remember a few people on this board who "didn't get" the hype about the Broken Social Scene album...they obviously didn't go to the show (maybe Pollard did, but like me, he left before BSS went on)...but I'm not going to hunt through threads to find people who didn't care for it (and yes, there were quite a few people who loved it as well)....bottom line, for me, is that I didn't like it...and yes, I listened to it several times in its entirety because my wife had a copy....blah blah blah...

Originally posted by DUDE, best show EVER:

I mistakenly critiqued ONE concert that I wasn't at, basing it on the poor quality of their album. I admitted to my mistake, which I don't see as uncommon (how many of us can't remember if we've seen or not seen such and such crap movie, yet we still remember it as crap)

i've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like BSS's "You Forgot It In People" (although I'm sure they're out there)... i'm fairly certain that the album was roundly critically praised, and I can't recall ever reading a negative review of it.

That aside, BSS just doesn't comapre to some crap will smith movie. [/b]

markie

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2005, 10:32:00 pm »
Neither I nor Wifey liked the album or the show. I did like stars who I was there to see, on Mr Pulsizes recommendation.

Bags

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2005, 11:17:00 pm »
I have nine books by Hunter S. Thompson -- nine.  That's eight more than just "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."  He wrote 13 books, turns out.

Most of which are memoirs or essay collections which comment on politics, philosophy, sociology, psychology -- the sciences and cultural studies of our time.  Even his books before "...Vegas" get inside the machine of a major presidential campaign or the subculture of the Hell's Angels revealing the machinations and cultural forces at work through a subjective account that is, in its telling, spellbinding, educational, enlightening, thought-provoking and hilarious.  

And Hunter's work is riddled with subject literary devices utilized to portray th belly of the beast -- it's likely many of his craziest stories were devices to comment on the chaos or hypocrisy of a situation from the inside.

I don't want to jump on the "you didn't even see the concert" bandwagon, but to discount his influence based on hearing about his crazy drug habits or that whacky book about sex and drugs is a road to nowhere.  

From the NY Times in 1990:

"While self-effacement has never been one of Mr. Thompson's strengths, I think he was absolutely right about how good a writer he was then. Fans across the political spectrum from Norman Mailer to Tom Wolfe and William F. Buckley Jr. have said as much in the past."

From the NY Times in 1973:

"Unlike Theodore White's regular reports, which have become as much a part of the electoral institution as the inauguration, "Fear and Loathing" is obviously not an exercise in objective, analytic contemporary history. But neither is it like Norman Mailer's accounts of the conventions, which are, by contrast, less involved with the factual immediacy of politics and more concerned with its symbolic implications. Mailer is essentially always a novelist, even when he ventures into personal journalism. Mailer's imagination takes us as far as we want to go intellectually, but on a gut level we are kept at a distance because Mailer's personality intrudes between us and the experience. Genet, Burroughs and Arthur Miller have also attempted to run the campaigns through their literary arteries; but none has successfully captured the vulnerability, lust and desperation that are released each time we elect "the best man."

Thompson's book, with its mixed, frenetic construction, irreverent spirit and, above all, unrelenting sensitivity to the writer's own feelings while on the political road, most effectively conveys the adrenaline-soaked quest that is the American campaign. Crisscrossing the country often two times a day, stopping in hotels, shopping marts and factories in obscure Midwestern towns, Thompson might have been running for office himself. By monitoring his own instincts and observations in the process, he shows us what it must be like for the candidates.

....Must the men who aspire to lead us be put through such an ordeal, living constantly on what Thompson refers to as "the edge"? Perhaps whistlestop and jet-plane campaigning should be abandoned and the candidates should compete solely through the electronic media. I don't know, and neither does Thompson. What Thompson does know, however, is that whatever the campaign procedures, the White House will continue to loom in the imagination of power- addicted men as the glassine-bagged white powder does in the imagination of the junkie. Watergate was the attempted rip-off of a fellow addict. "Fear and Loathing" lets us understand why the men we elect to the Presidency may have needle tracks on their integrity."

joz

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2005, 10:53:00 am »
great post, Bags...i wanted to add that i don't think there is any comparison between the writings of burroughs and thompson, although they may have rivaled each other in sheer eccentricity.  HT's writing was light-years beyond that of burroughs. i've read quite a few books by both and, where i've always thought burroughs to be a mediocre writer, thompson will remain one of the greatest socio-political commentators of our generation. in addition to his books, his post-9/11 interview and essay on the bush-kerry election in salon.com and rolling stone, respectively, were great reads.

has anyone checked out HT's "kingdom of fear"? i keep meaning to pick it up...

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2005, 10:59:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
 i don't think there is any comparison between the writings of burroughs and thompson,
It's apples & oranges time.

There's no doubt that both were major talents.  The quality of Thompson's work started to wane starting with LONO.

Burroughs latter works were as good as, or better, than his earlier efforts.  Has anyone read The Western Lands???

Guiny

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2005, 11:20:00 am »
My favorite writer is Dean Koontz....  ;)

ggw

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2005, 11:21:00 am »
You can read!?!?

joz

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Bhagwan K'Mel Giokki-Furbush:

Originally posted by joz:
 i don't think there is any comparison between the writings of burroughs and thompson,
It's apples & oranges time.

There's no doubt that both were major talents.  The quality of Thompson's work started to wane starting with LONO.

Burroughs latter works were as good as, or better, than his earlier efforts.  Has anyone read The Western Lands??? [/b]
i was responding to sam pulsize's post above where he asked whether HT's writings are similar to Burroughs.  i haven't had the opportunity to read Western Lands, although i probably should...i've heard mixed reviews of that one. i've read a lot of his earlier stuff...junky, queer, naked lunch and interzone. my feeling is that, if you're in the burroughs camp, you'll probably like western lands and, if you're like me and have never been wowed by his writings, you may not care for it.

Guiny

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  You can read!?!?
My bad, somebody actually reads me your great posts so that's how I'm able to respond to them.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
  I have read Stephen HUNTER (his movie reviews)
Probably best you just stick with that.  And maybe J.K. Rowling...