Author Topic: The Ponys poster  (Read 2960 times)

kcjones119

Re: The Ponys poster
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 09:30:00 am »
Very good despite some pedal issues for the Ponys.  They seemed happier than the last time I saw them, but then again that was at the ottobar where I was one of two people who stuck around to see them after black lips.

Jay Reatard was good.  High energy, under 2 min songs.  I wish more bands were like that, 12 or so songs in 20 minutes.  Perfect opener.

Then I came home and paypal'd my local poster artist.

tigersscareme

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 09:30:00 am »
awesome.
 and the opening band jay reatard was fan-fucking-tastic.

Relaxer

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
I am so glad other people thought Jay Reatard were good. I've got all day for bands like that, just 4 guys in a small space, rocking. Awesome. I'll bet their practices involve a lot of weed. The bass player looked and acted just like Jack Black would in a band like that. That could be a good or bad thing -- in this case, it ruled. He was awesome.

Ponys were good too. Most of their songs were great, others came and went and I didn't really notice them.
oword

BookerT

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 09:51:00 am »
the guitar problems really hampered the first half of the set. the ponys without distortion/overdrive just ain't the same. i'm really glad they switched up the setlist a lot from march, playing lots of stuff from "laced with romance" and "celebration castle." it was pretty good, but the ponys are basically there to ROCK and jay reatard is better at bringing the ROCK. good times for a monday night.

El Jefe Design

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 10:01:00 am »
I am now getting to the point where I will be holding a grudge against my unborn kid for making me miss so many shows, be it Detroit Cobras and now The Ponys. This kid better be cute damnit! Back to working on Decemberists posters.

ggw

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 10:14:00 am »
If Reatard comes back on a headlining gig, would he break the 30-minute mark?

I thought he and the band were great. Their set had that whole random-punk-band-at-the-VFW-Post feel - except they actually know how to play their instruments.

Technical difficulties notwithstanding, I thought the Ponys were solid.  They had a tough act to follow.

ggw

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
Originally posted by El Jefe Design:
  I am now getting to the point where I will be holding a grudge against my unborn kid for making me miss so many shows, be it Detroit Cobras and now The Ponys. This kid better be cute damnit! Back to working on Decemberists posters.
Don't fret about the Cobras show -- it was pretty weak.  I don't know whether they were disappointed about the turnout, or simply having an off-night, but the band just did a paint by numbers set.

Bags

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 10:51:00 am »
Missed the Ponys last night -- swamped at work, long weekend.  The Monday fatigue set in.  I'm sure I missed a good show.  Hopefully I'll catch the next...