Author Topic: Teenbeat 20th Anniv Roll Call  (Read 3327 times)

BookerT

Re: Teenbeat 20th Anniv Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 05:01:00 pm »
i mean, unrest is a local band in the same way fugazi is a local band.

bands that play the velvet lounge on a weeknight, those are local bands.

curiousgeorge

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 05:24:00 pm »
hey,

if anyone has an extra ticket to either of these shows, please e-mail me at ajerardi at hotmail.com. i have a ticket to friday nite, but not thurs.  :(  boo hoo. and now i have a friend coming into town unexpectedly on friday that i'd love to take with me to the show...

Lamb007

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 06:58:00 pm »
I'll be there Friday night. Not ashamed to confess my undying love for Tuscadero.

jkeisenh

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 09:37:00 am »
After about 5 years of begging for a Tuscadero reunion, i wasn't going to miss it for the world.  I bought my tickets in January, in fact!

Driveway

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
I can't wait to see Versus tomorrow night.  I usually drive up to New York to see their 'once a year' show.  I don't think they are really broken up, they are just sorta broken up.  Suppoedly they might play a new song tomorrow night.  Tuscadero will be great too, I haven't seen them in years.  I'll be at the show tonight but will lave after +/- because of work in the morn.  8am meetings are dumb.  I'll just have to get twice as drunk on friday to make up for it  :)   Did anyone go to the Galaxy Hut show?

BookerT

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
anyone? hello? are we all just still in shock that we saw unrest last nite? bummer only 12 songs/50 minutes, but hey, i never thought i'd get to hear "suki," "cherry cream on," "cath carroll," "make out club," etc. so no complaints. some missed notes here and there, but overall strong set. this is not one i was going to nitpick about, though.

i rather enjoyed eggs, although maybe played a couple songs too many.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
 i rather enjoyed eggs, although maybe played a couple songs too many.
Eggs were the primary reason I went last night.  I wish they had played a lot longer.  They were terrific.  Indie rock needs more trombones.

I thought all the bands were really good.  The night just flew by.

What's with ending so early though?  Unrest played until - what - 12:40?  They said they wanted to play more, but they were out of time.  The posted schedules had them ending at something like 12:20, so they were technically 20 minutes over already.
 Who imposed the early ending times?  It seemed a little silly to stick everyone with 1/2 hour sets, only to end the show so early.

Jonny Cohen is  the man!

snailhook

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
for the first time in ages, i was even nearly bouncing during unrest's set. i waited over ten years to see them and it was worth the wait. i thought they were tight, and phil krauth can still play the shit out of the drums. the setlist:

suki
 imperial
 i do believe you are blushing
 sugarshack
 isabel
 light command
 west coast love affair
 make out club
 *something from BPM?*
 cath carroll
 ++++++++++++
 june
 cherry cream on

very heavy on "imperial f.f.r.r.", and i didn't expect to hear "i do believe you are blushing," "june,", and "sugarshack." "west coast love affair" was also sort of a surprise. "light command" and "cath carroll" and "make out club" made me feel like an 18 year old again.

i was pretty happy with 50 minutes, and they probably didn't rehearse any more songs for the set.

eggs were fun and i got to see my good friend john rickman rock out on drums. they probably should have played ten minutes less though.

plus/minus were as good as unrest and more people should know about them. their musicianship is great and inventive and they write songs with memorable melodies and great dynamics.

true love always bore the shit out of me.

the fontaine toups were good and i will always have a spot in my heart for ms toups.

i missed johnny cohen, but i just saw him a few months ago. he's cool but no butch willis.

can't wait for tonight!

ratioci nation

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 06:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

plus/minus were as good as unrest and more people should know about them. their musicianship is great and inventive and they write songs with memorable melodies and great dynamics.

the one time I saw them they started out great and kind of fizzled out, did I just catch them on a bad night?, I really like the You Are Here album

snailhook

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2005, 06:47:00 pm »
when did you see them? like most bands, some of their songs are better than others, but i find them mostly consistent. with a half-hour set restriction, they pared it down to their absolute best last night.

i saw 'em at iota last year and it was nice to see a band rock out there.

dotdot

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2005, 06:49:00 pm »
  for the first time in ages, i was even nearly bouncing during unrest's set. i waited over ten years to see them and it was worth the wait. i thought they were tight, and phil krauth can still play the shit out of the drums. the setlist:

suki
 imperial
 i do believe you are blushing
 sugarshack
 isabel
 light command
 west coast love affair
 make out club
 *something from BPM?*
 cath carroll
 ++++++++++++
 june
 cherry cream on

very heavy on "imperial f.f.r.r.", and i didn't expect to hear "i do believe you are blushing," "june,", and "sugarshack." "west coast love affair" was also sort of a surprise. "light command" and "cath carroll" and "make out club" made me feel like an 18 year old again.

i was pretty happy with 50 minutes, and they probably didn't rehearse any more songs for the set.

eggs were fun and i got to see my good friend john rickman rock out on drums. they probably should have played ten minutes less though.

true love always bore the shit out of me.

the fontaine toups were good and i will always have a spot in my heart for ms toups.

i missed johnny cohen, but i just saw him a few months ago. he's cool but no butch willis.

can't wait for tonight!
The BPM track was "Vibe Out!"  

TLA were so fucking boring, true.  I like +/- much more on record.  Did anyone notice how bad the sound was throughout the night?

I know John Rickman too... are you from Richmond?  I was a big Eggs fan... They played the hits except "Skyscraper" unfortunately, and I kinda liked the over-excited mess of it all.

Unrest were sloppy but still truly great, and they played the hits, and I was dancing like a fool... lots of fun!!  I think the crowd knew the songs better than they did, but it was still amazing... Opening with "Suki"... Yes!!  Most definitely the best anniversary show since I can remember.

ratioci nation

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2005, 06:50:00 pm »
  when did you see them? like most bands, some of their songs are better than others, but i find them mostly consistent. with a half-hour set restriction, they pared it down to their absolute best last night.

i saw 'em at iota last year and it was nice to see a band rock out there.
I almost went to that iota show, the first time I heard them was opening for the wrens at the Black Cat Backstage show, I bought the album on the strength of the first half of their set, and found the album to be pretty strong all the way through

snailhook

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2005, 08:52:00 pm »
I know John Rickman too... are you from Richmond?
nope, john and i run in the same music circles and he actually hooked me up with my current job. he's a big supporter of the music i promote and one of the nicest guys i know in DC.

snailhook

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2005, 04:22:00 am »
versus played "the stars are insane" in its entirety, in order. they sounded great, despite a few flubbed notes. it only made me lament that they are still not a working band.

tuscadero was fun but definitely anti-climactic after versus. they're just not ideal to follow the emotional cartharsis that versus creates.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
I love love love Tuscadero, but I have to agree - Versus was much better. They were just fantastic.

Even Butch Willis showed up!