Author Topic: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"  (Read 16370 times)

walkonby

  • Guest
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »
how about every ticket and drink at the club be free?  coat check too.  and parking.  the club rips off the music lover.

amnesiac

  • Member
  • Posts: 1203
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »
You have to remember that the Radiohead Discbox is actually £40. So it's really not that expensive. It's just unfortunate that the dollar has gone to shit...
 
 And xneverwherex is spot on regarding b-sides. All the import singles for any given Radiohead album would probably cost at least as much as the Discbox. So it's actually easier this way to get all the b-sides at once (assuming that they won't be releasing different b-sides on the singles).

ggw

  • Member
  • Posts: 14237
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by callat703:
 Personally, I say more power to them for banking the money themselves, rather than letting a label do it.
I agree with you.  
 
 The issue is that Radiohead spent many years in the "label" world building the fanbase so that they could pull off a stunt like they did.  For a band just starting out - it is exponentially more difficult to do the same thing.
 
 Radiohead has created a great model for the platinum-selling band that wants to stick it to the proverbial man.  Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of bands in the same position to follow their lead.

Sage 703

  • Member
  • Posts: 1710
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by ggw?:
   
Quote
Originally posted by callat703:
 Personally, I say more power to them for banking the money themselves, rather than letting a label do it.
I agree with you.  
 
 The issue is that Radiohead spent many years in the "label" world building the fanbase so that they could pull off a stunt like they did.  For a band just starting out - it is exponentially more difficult to do the same thing.
 
 Radiohead has created a great model for the platinum-selling band that wants to stick it to the proverbial man.  Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of bands in the same position to follow their lead. [/b]
I completely agree.

helicon1

  • Member
  • Posts: 469
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »
I quickly want to point out that the box set is priced at ₤40. The only reason it costs $80 to Americans is the extremely poor exchange rate.

helicon1

  • Member
  • Posts: 469
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »
ooops, sorry for repeating earlier information about the exchange rate. I still think that's left out of every conversation and people are quick to declare Radiohead evil.

TheREALHunter

  • Member
  • Posts: 1382
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 09:51:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Brian_Wallace:
   
Quote
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
   but since its not the dandy warhols - and lord knows id pay any price for something like that - ill be passing.
I'd pay $80 for a limited-edition, deluxe boxed set of Zia McCabe's best "Get 'Em Out!" moments lovingly collected in a special, leather-bound volume.
 
 $90!  $100, I'd pay.
 
 Brian [/b]
you wouldnt be the only one. i know plenty of people that would pay obscene amounts of money for that. [/b]
She posed nekkid and preggo for Suicide Girls but I'm assuming that's common knowledge to fans of hers.

Brian_Wallace

  • Member
  • Posts: 1484
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 10:02:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
  She posed nekkid and preggo for Suicide Girls but I'm assuming that's common knowledge to fans of hers.
Yes, but in my scenario, there would be "a second enhanced CD which contains 8 additional" pictures of her naked.
 
 Brian
 
 P.S.  Plus some rare pregnant B-sides.

Mobius

  • Member
  • Posts: 1227
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »
Radiohead should be selling these releases by auction at Christie's or Sotheby's and they should be available to the general public by exhibition at the world's finest museums and cultural centers.

sonickteam2

  • Guest
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by ggw?:
   
Quote
Originally posted by callat703:
 Personally, I say more power to them for banking the money themselves, rather than letting a label do it.
I agree with you.  
 
 The issue is that Radiohead spent many years in the "label" world building the fanbase so that they could pull off a stunt like they did.  For a band just starting out - it is exponentially more difficult to do the same thing.
 
 Radiohead has created a great model for the platinum-selling band that wants to stick it to the proverbial man.  Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of bands in the same position to follow their lead. [/b]
great observation.

sweetcell

  • Member
  • Posts: 21482
  • I don't belong here.
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 01:34:00 am »
can i point out how folks think that for an athlete - someone paid to chase a ball - it's 100% natural for them to make $12 million dollars a year.  it's natural.  this can only be achieved by driving a hard bargain - i.e. milking the team organization for everything they can, the cost then past on to the consumer, the fans.  BUT when artists make big bucks off their success, their "hypocrisy" is  pure evil.  you'd think some people here are against musician becoming wealthy.
 
     
Quote
Originally posted by walkonby:
 because they bitched and bitched and bitched and bitched about dupek every day, and now they want him back (so funny).  now b dubbs has taken his place.
they're interchangeable.
<sig>

Relaxer

  • Member
  • Posts: 5409
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 11:40:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  can i point out how folks think that for an athlete - someone paid to chase a ball - it's 100% natural for them to make $12 million dollars a year.  it's natural.  this can only be achieved by driving a hard bargain - i.e. milking the team organization for everything they can, the cost then past on to the consumer, the fans.  BUT when artists make big bucks off their success, their "hypocrisy" is  pure evil.  you'd think some people here are against musician becoming wealthy.
 
Probably because we're of the notion that the arts should exist purely for aesthetic reasons and not be tainted by the stench of commerce, which is reflected in the line you hear over and over "I made this album for myself, not for anyone else."
 
 I also think that nowadays it's a lot harder and requires a greater commitment to be a professional athlete than a professional musician.
oword

sweetcell

  • Member
  • Posts: 21482
  • I don't belong here.
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Relaxer:
 Probably because we're of the notion that the arts should exist purely for aesthetic reasons and not be tainted by the stench of commerce, which is reflected in the line you hear over and over "I made this album for myself, not for anyone else."
i too like my artists lean and hungry, but you can't fault them for not wanting to live in a slum forever.  
 
 maybe artists that become popular should sign up for an integrity-protecting trust fund?  for a few years after they make it big, they're given enough to survive and maybe buy a new guitar.  the rest is stashed away until they're ready to sell out, thus preserving their hunger... </not being serious>
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by Relaxer:
 I also think that nowadays it's a lot harder and requires a greater commitment to be a professional athlete than a professional musician.
can't entirely agree there.  as a guitar player, i'm sure you appreciate the time and dedication is takes to learn an instrument, write good songs, etc.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

  • Member
  • Posts: 1484
Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  as a guitar player, i'm sure you appreciate the time and dedication is takes to learn an instrument, write good songs, etc.
Screw that.  It's 2007.  Just get "Guitar Hero."
 
  <img src="http://techdigest.tv/south-park-guitar-hero.jpg" alt=" - " />
 
 Brian

Re: "Ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »
There's a big difference between being lean and hungry, and buying a 7 million dollar house in West Hollywood, like one indie hero just did.