Author Topic: Albums in 2004  (Read 50956 times)

Bags

Re: Albums in 2004
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2004, 04:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  Pissing contest....
Or, "I'm so cool, hip and unique that I notice the gems that others don't appreciate -- yet."

Bags

« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2004, 04:21:00 pm »
SURPRISE....the "London Calling" reissue so far has a score of 99 on  Metacritic...

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Ultra Rare Recordings Bolster Clash Classic

Five never-before-heard Clash songs highlight the upcoming Legacy Edition of "London Calling," due Sept. 21 via Epic.

« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
How you can add 100, 100, 100, and 80 and get an average of 99, I'm not sure...

must be some of that fuzzy math

Originally posted by Bags:
  SURPRISE....the "London Calling" reissue so far has a score of 99 on  Metacritic...

Ultra Rare Recordings Bolster Clash Classic

Five never-before-heard Clash songs highlight the upcoming Legacy Edition of "London Calling," due Sept. 21 via Epic.
[/b]

ggw

« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2004, 04:43:00 pm »
The METASCORE is considered a weighted average because we assign more significance, or weight, to some critics and publications than we do to others, based on the overall stature and quality of those critics and publications.

« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2004, 04:46:00 pm »
So pitchfork's 100 carries more weight than blender's 80. Brilliant.

Next they're going to start counting blacks as only 1/2 a vote in presidential elections.

The METASCORE is considered a weighted average because we assign more significance, or weight, to some critics and publications than we do to others, based on the overall stature and quality of those critics and publications.

toohotnthehottub

« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
the onion's shitbox twenty piece was rather tepid, but this 'no story' headline is brilliant:

"Ramones Reunion Nearly Complete"

Bags

« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2004, 05:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  So pitchfork's 100 carries more weight than blender's 80. Brilliant.

Next they're going to start counting blacks as only 1/2 a vote in presidential elections.
An online review clearinghouse

versus  

national elections.

Yeah, they're in the same league.

Bags

« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by toohotnthehottub:
  the onion's shitbox twenty piece was rather tepid, but this 'no story' headline is brilliant:

"Ramones Reunion Nearly Complete"
OH MAN, that's so awful, but so funny.

vansmack

« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »
Decemberists Get Religion

Portland quintet records third album in a church

On the heels of the July release of The Tain EP, the Decemberists spent August in a Baptist church in their native Portland, Oregon, tracking new songs for their third record. Produced by Death Cab for Cutie guitarist Chris Walla, the tentatively titled The Infanta is due out in the spring on Kill Rock Stars.

The album will be the hyper-literate indie folkers' third full-length (plus two EPs) in the span of four years. The title track is about "the coronation procession for a child Spanish princess," explains songwriter Colin Meloy. Another track, "The Buxmoll," deals with male prostitution in downtown Portland.

The Infanta continues the band's evolution from the acoustic guitar-based 5 Songs EP (2001) through the symphony of accordion, glockenspiel, pedal steel and "tin toys" showcased on The Tain, a five-part song suite based on an Irish folk cycle.

"On 5 Songs and the first record, we were sort of going on default settings: these are the instruments we have, and this is how we're going to play," says Meloy. "As we've gotten closer as bandmates, we've really started to flesh out a better sound. On this record, a lot of the emphasis is going to be on the instrumentations themselves.

Meloy's lyric-writing also received a jolt from his experience penning The Replacements' Let It Be, his non-fiction chronicle of the seminal 1984 indie rock album. "I had a renewed vigor for writing songs," he says of immersing himself in the ramshackle mind of the young Paul Westerberg, "and writing really out-of-control, over-the-top, imaginative ramblings."
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2004, 06:19:00 pm »
apparently, sanctuary records is releasing a double-disc slowdive compilation, that's been remastered (i hear that there's one for the boo radleys and swervedriver coming soon as well). . .it will be released on October 25, here's the tracklist:

2-CD SET
 DISC 1:
 Slowdive
 Avalyn 1
 Morningrise
 She Calls
 Catch The Breeze
 Shine
 Golden Hair
 Spanish Air
 Waves
 Alison
 So Tired
 Sing
 Souvlaki Space Station
 DISC 2:
 Machine Gun
 Here She Comes
 When The Sun Hits
 In Mind
 Good Day Sunshine
 Missing You
 Rutti
 Crazy For You
 Trellisaze
 Blue Skied And Clear
OU812

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2004, 09:31:00 am »
reporting from a bunker somewhere in detroit.... i heard the new U2 single while tooling around in a minivan without a cd player yesterday and it didn't suck!  heavy bassline with a really nasty rock guitar sound.  at least its not stinko elevation shite...
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2004, 11:04:00 am »
I picked up the new Interpol and the new Delgados at Melody this morning even though they are not supposed to be out until Tuesday, no more copies of Delgados but they had several of Interpol in the display on the wall near the front if anyone would like a copy this weekend

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2004, 06:58:00 am »
Travis Morrison
 Travistan
  Pitchfork Review

Rating: 0.0

Ouch.

thirsty moore

« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2004, 10:46:00 am »
Do you mean to say that Rhett and/or Mark E. are going to like this?

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Travis Morrison
 Travistan
  Pitchfork Review

Rating: 0.0

Ouch.

vansmack

« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
Gwen Stefani Makes "Love"

No Doubt singer collaborates with her idols on solo debut  

For her solo debut, Love, Angel, Music, Baby, out November 23rd, No Doubt frontwoman Gwen Stefani cast her net wide, seizing the opportunity to work with a vast array of artists.

"The whole idea was to collaborate," says Stefani. "To do a solo record means trying to pour my heart out, which I feel like I already do in No Doubt. This is more of an art project. I wanted to play different roles and work with a ton of people."

Expect hip-hop beats from Dr. Dre and the Neptunes, as well as OutKast's Andre 3000. Dallas Austin (Pink, TLC) and Nellee Hooper (Massive Attack, Soul II Soul) give some tracks a dance feel, and the album's New Wave sound comes by way of Depeche Mode's Martin Gore, ex-Eurythmics Dave Stewart and New Order.

"I knew exactly what my influences were -- Club Nouveau, Lisa Lisa, Prince, New Order, the Cure, early Madonna," says Stefani. "Everybody was under strict instructions."

The album's first single, "What You Waiting For?," is set to hit airwaves this month. And Stefani will make her Hollywood debut in December, when she plays Jean Harlow alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in Martin Scorsese's Howard Hughes biopic The Aviator.

ALEX MAR and SHIRLEY HALPERIN
 (Posted Oct 01, 2004)
27>34