Author Topic: Albums in 2004  (Read 51006 times)

Dr. Anton Phibes

Re: Albums in 2004
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2004, 08:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Originally posted by mark e smith

Actually I will just put in an order to CDwow, but if that falls through, thanks for giving me an option. It is very kind of you. And you were right about the La's. (I have been listening to it a lot)

I'm in the middle of reading that book about The La's now.  Supposively, Lee Mavers has new material that is even stronger than the songs on The La's album, but no one knows if we'll ever hear them. [/b]
>>> I'm one of the only people I know who actually saw The La's during their one & only U.S. "tour"....one of the most bizarre live experiences,ever....Lee is quite strange.....

SPARX

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2004, 08:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by imrotten:
  [/qb]
>>> I'm one of the only people I know who actually saw The La's during their one & only U.S. "tour"....one of the most bizarre live experiences,ever....Lee is quite strange..... [/QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                             Geesh,we heard ya the 1st time   ;)    :roll:

grotty

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2004, 08:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  [JANUARY 12, 2003]

A NOTE FROM EDDIE SPAGHETTI

Well, here it is, another "night before the release" at the Spaghetti manor. As you may or may not know, my record, The Sauce, "drops" (that's what the kids call it these days) tomorrow (or today, by the time you read this), Tuesday, Jan 13th. It's always kind of cool sitting here before the record comes out, not knowing what people will think and hoping for the best. No matter how many records I've put out, it's still exciting on "the eve".

It'll be a busy day tomorrow (today? - whatever). I start with a live appearance on KEXP, 90.3 here in Seattle at noon Pacific time.
 Then, next week, The Supersuckers will be heading to England, Scotland and Ireland for a couple weeks before heading down the west coast here in the states. After that, hello South America! Do we ever stop? No, we don't.

Please, please, please (ain't too proud to beg!) go out and get The Sauce. I guarantee it'll provide you with some good listening. Come see The Supersuckers if we're in, or even near, your town. We'll rock your ass!

Eddie Spaghetti
I ordered that yesterday after hearing him on KEXP.
 One of my favorite concert experiences ever was catching them doing a free afternoon gig down in Austin when they were on their country extravaganza bent. This toddler was running around oblivious in front of the stage wearing this giant ear protection headset. Eddie was bitching about the kid being there, then he paused & said "I'm such a bad dad". The KEXP DJ was calling the kid Spaghetti O. I got a great photo with Eddie taken after the show from the balconey @ Stubbs. Eddie is throwing the metal sign \nn/. It's badass.
 Exciting story eh...   :D

SPARX

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2004, 08:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:

[JANUARY 12, 2003]

I ordered that yesterday after hearing him on KEXP.
 One of my favorite concert experiences ever was catching them doing a free afternoon gig down in Austin when they were on their country extravaganza bent. This toddler was running around oblivious in front of the stage wearing this giant ear protection headset. Eddie was bitching about the kid being there, then he paused & said "I'm such a bad dad". The KEXP DJ was calling the kid Spaghetti O. I got a great photo with Eddie taken after the show from the balconey @ Stubbs. Eddie is throwing the metal sign \nn/. It's badass.
 Exciting story eh...     :D   [/b]
They're a blast live.Got to see and hang with them down at Ocean City when they played there a few years back.They definitely know how to enjoy themselves.High energy rnr.Let me know what you think of the solo stuff.

SPARX

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2004, 08:44:00 pm »
Lou Reed has a new live album tentavely titled "Animal Serenade".It is set for release on March 23rd.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2004, 12:38:00 am »

Actually I will just put in an order to CDwow, but if that falls through, thanks for giving me an option. It is very kind of you. And you were right about the La's. (I have been listening to it a lot)

I'm in the middle of reading that book about The La's now.  Supposively, Lee Mavers has new material that is even stronger than the songs on The La's album, but no one knows if we'll ever hear them. [/b]
>>> I'm one of the only people I know who actually saw The La's during their one & only U.S. "tour"....one of the most bizarre live experiences,ever....Lee is quite strange..... [/b]
me too... although i don't remember any strangeness, execpt they may have played the hit twice.   the chills warmed up if memory serves
T.Rex

thirsty moore

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2004, 12:50:00 am »
I can see Morrissey's on the cutting edge with these hot titles.  Hey!  I heard that Bush didn't really win the 2000 election.

Originally posted by ggw?:
 They include but are not limited to:

"America Is Not The World"
 "Irish Blood, English Heart"
 "I Have Forgiven Jesus"
 "Come Back To Camden"
 ??I??m Not Sorry?
 ??The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores?
 ??How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel??
 ??The First Of The Gang To Die?
 ??Teenage Dad On His Estate?
 ??I Like You?
 ??The Never-Played Symphonies?
 ??The Slum Mums?
 ??You Know I Couldn??t Last?
 ??Home Is A Question Mark?
 ??The Public Image?
 ??It??s Hard To Walk Tall When You??re Small?

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2004, 12:51:00 am »
  Lou Reed has a new live album tentavely titled "Animal Serenade".It is set for release on March 23rd.
>>Hopefully it will be as entertaining and worth the money as his stellar album "The Raven" was!!

thirsty moore

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2004, 12:54:00 am »
That Set the Twilight Reeling didn't amount to much either.  His appearance on Letterman singing "Ecstasy" was laughable to say the least.  He'll put out an album in a few years that people will laud as his best one yet, and then release crap for the next few.  If he's still around, of course.

Hopefully it will be as entertaining and worth the money as his stellar album "The Raven" was!!

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2004, 01:07:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  I'm one of the only people I know who actually saw The La's during their one & only U.S. "tour"....one of the most bizarre live experiences,ever....Lee is quite strange..... [/qb]
me too... although i don't remember any strangeness, execpt they may have played the hit twice.   the chills warmed up if memory serves [/QB][/QUOTE]

>>> I was living in God's armpit at the time. Orlando,Florida. While I slaved away for Nickelodeon. A local top 40 station sponsored the La's show at the Hilton Twin Towers across from Universal Studios. It was a surreal venue and crowd to put it mildly. It was a Saturday afternoon and a 1 p.m. start in 95 degree heat at a bar behind the hotel that looked like a Tiki Bar out of a Jimmy Buffett video! About 50 people were sitting on towels by the pool watching the band. Out of those 50 maybe 6 including myself had a friggin' clue who or what these guys were all about! They were introduced and never said a word to the crowd. They played about 2 or 3 songs and then left the stage. They returned about a half hour later and did the same thing! This went on for about a 3 hour period.And then they were gone! No interaction with the crowd,no communication from the station DJ's about what was going on! We got the entire album but it took all day! Strangest show ever! I've seen bigger crowds in someone's basement in high school! What they did play was EXCELLENT I will have to say! I have yet to see or hear any Britpop band since that had "it" like they did. Fuckin' Fabulous! Just a bit daff.....

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2004, 01:09:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  I'm one of the only people I know who actually saw The La's during their one & only U.S. "tour"....one of the most bizarre live experiences,ever....Lee is quite strange..... [/qb]
me too... although i don't remember any strangeness, execpt they may have played the hit twice.   the chills warmed up if memory serves [/QB][/QUOTE]

>>> I was living in God's armpit at the time. Orlando,Florida. While I slaved away for Nickelodeon. A local top 40 station sponsored the La's show at the Hilton Twin Towers across from Universal Studios. It was a surreal venue and crowd to put it mildly. It was a Saturday afternoon and a 1 p.m. start in 95 degree heat at a bar behind the hotel that looked like a Tiki Bar out of a Jimmy Buffett video! About 50 people were sitting on towels by the pool watching the band. Out of those 50 maybe 6 including myself had a friggin' clue who or what these guys were all about! They were introduced and never said a word to the crowd. They played about 2 or 3 songs and then left the stage. They returned about a half hour later and did the same thing! This went on for about a 3 hour period.And then they were gone! No interaction with the crowd,no communication from the station DJ's about what was going on! We got the entire album but it took all day! Strangest show ever! I've seen bigger crowds in someone's basement in high school! What they did play was EXCELLENT I will have to say! I have yet to see or hear any Britpop band since that had "it" like they did. Fuckin' Fabulous! Just a bit daff.....

Yank

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2004, 02:53:00 am »

>>> I'm one of the only people I know who actually saw The La's during their one & only U.S. "tour"....one of the most bizarre live experiences,ever....Lee is quite strange..... [/b]
I saw them too!  I don't know where you saw them, but they played the WHFS Festival in a park in Northern Virginia in 1990 or 91.  Back in those days the festival was free.  You only had to pay for the parking.  And they had some good bands, which is a rarity nowadays.

SPARX

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
 [I saw them too!  I don't know where you saw them, but they played the WHFS Festival in a park in Northern Virginia in 1990 or 91.  Back in those days the festival was free.  You only had to pay for the parking.  And they had some good bands, which is a rarity nowadays. [/QB]
I saw that one.Lake Fairfax,right?I believe Violent Femmes may have been there that year as well,although don't hold me to that.We camped there for the duration and my memory's a little fuzzy,been a while.

SPARX

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2004, 09:40:00 am »
Broken Social Scene To Release Rarities/B-Sides Collection in March
 [Broken Social Scene, who you might recall released Pitchfork's ninth favorite album of 2003, will release a new collection called Beehives on March 23rd via Arts and Crafts. The record, culled from b-sides and other unreleased material, is described as "songs for the come down." In other words, fans should expect a rather calm tone running through all of the tracks included, with no upbeat rockers, like You Forgot it in People's "Almost Crimes."

Although considered a "b-sides" record by the band, many of the songs weren't actually b-sides. The band released two singles in the UK: "Stars & Sons" and "Cause = Time," and three of the tracks on Beehives are pulled from those. However, many of the others were recorded when the band needed a break from recording You Forgot it in People and simply retreated to a friend's house to "record while fooling around with sounds."

At least one song had a mission statement from the word go: the band tells Pitchfork they "spent many early mornings making noise while hooking up with our friend Emily to create a lo-fi anthem." The track in question is entitled "Backyards," and while it is technically an anthem, the band shy away from imagery of rockets, bombs, and indestructable war banners altogether. Tracklist:

02 Marketfresh
 03 Weddings
 04 Hallmark
 05 Backyards
 06 Da Da Dada
 07 Ambulance for the Ambiance
 08 Time = Cause
 09 Lover's Spit

Whether or not the band will tour in support of the record isn't 100 percent clear, but it certainly seems likely. According to Kevin Drew, "We're excited to see what we do next. We're excited to see what people want us to do next. We're excited to record another record." In the meantime, however, he states that the band will continue "touring, writing, and living with semi-new lives."

mankie

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

And GGW, isnt it time to give up on Morrissey? [/b]
What is it with you and Moz markie...."The more you ignore him the closer he gets"...or something? Or do you just Hate him because he's successful, and because he's northern that makes it worse"?

I for one am looking forward to a new release by the master of misery.