Author Topic: Smokiest Show Ever  (Read 1942 times)

J'Mal

Smokiest Show Ever
« on: November 29, 2004, 12:26:00 am »
Which show has had the absolute most smoke?

My vote:  Medeski, Martin & Wood.  insane.  was it mandatory to smoke?  I was inspired to start a campaign to save the tobacco plant, which would surely go extinct at the rate people were smoking it at this show....

azaghal1981

Re: Smokiest Show Ever
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 09:19:00 am »
I was thinking the same thing at this show. ;-) There was some great herb going around too though.
احمد

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 09:22:00 am »
I can't really think of a smokiest show ever.  They all seem pretty smokey to me.  I was a smoker for about 15 years and quit about 4 years ago.  I still can't believe how bad my clothes stink of cigarettes when i come home from a show.

*My point here is not to complain about smoking at shows (even though it does sometimes bother me).  I'm one of the few non-smokers I know who is against smoking bans in clubs.  I think whoever owns the building should be able to decide what people can and can't do inside.*

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
shins. i was sick and started hacking when i got inside
o/\o

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 10:06:00 am »
For idiot smokers, Galactic a while back.  It was a packed club and everyone was smoking with the cigarettes at about hip level.  I got about 10 burns on my shirt from that show, and a couple to the skin.

hitman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 10:40:00 am »
I really can't think of a show considered to be the smokiest.  There was a lot of herb being puffed outside after the De La Soul show though.  It was funny, some audience member handed a blunt to Mase (De La DJ) and Butta Verses, and they all smoked it outside the bus together.  Talk about connecting with your fans.

Sorry to SIr HC for getting burned and what not.  I am a smoker, but realize smokers get a bad rap because of assholes who don't do it responsibly.  I think doing it respectfully and responsibly would go a long way in easing the divide between smokers and non.  I always exhale upwards and keep my cigarette in front of me when standing still near the railing.  I don't smoke while moving.  I think if others did this, it would be so much better.

And it should be up to the owner to decide to allow smoking or not in their establishments.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
I'm polite, too! I don't exhale.

Barcelona

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 01:59:00 pm »
Nice coincidence, this weekend I was working at 3800 meters and because of the stress of getting everything done for today, I smoked quite a lot.
 This morning I was feeling terrible and I still am. I just decided to quit smoking.

J'Mal

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 02:05:00 pm »
I hate smoking but it should be the property owner's decision what to permit on one's property.

However, when it gets ridiculous, I leave early, and  the club sells me less beverage.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 02:09:00 pm »

mustourdman

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 03:52:00 pm »
Libertines last month was the smokiest concert I've been to at 9:30... I've seen (smelled/breathed) worse at Black Cat though.

I'm usually against nanny state laws, but I have to say, after being to NYC and California in the last month, going out for drinks and music was so much more enjoyable.

Now we just need to do something about people who throw their cigarettes out their car window while driving...

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 04:14:00 pm »
Crash Worship.

xcanuck

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »
One alternative that seems pretty reasonable to me is to confine smoking to a certain floor of the bar. I was at the Trocadero in Philly and it worked out well. They confined smoking to one of the balcony bars.

One option the 9:30 could explore is to make the entire floor non-smoking. If you want to smoke, you go upstairs. Smoke drifts up from the balcony so (for the most part) people on the floor would be protected from the secondhand smoke. It wouldn't be perfect but it's seems a reasonable compromise.