Author Topic: White Stripes stuff  (Read 18008 times)

redsock

Re: White Stripes stuff
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2003, 04:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by redsock:

is there a metro stop near the Smith Center?  like within 5 blocks or so?
Foggy Bottom/GWU, Orange/blue line
 2 blocks away [/b]
you are THE man!!! thanks.  I couldnt remember if there was a GWU stop.

i like you redsock.    :D  [/b]
I helps that i went there for 4 years.

Bags

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2003, 06:23:00 pm »
For the hell of it I double-checked.  No booze at the Smith Center.

dtqjr

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2003, 08:37:00 am »
Questions regarding tonight...

My ticket from July says 8pm, so can I assume doors will be open around 7 or does anybody have any more info on this?

Is this a GA show?  Do only the first however many through the door get to stay on the floor while the remainder will relegated to the seats?

markie

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2003, 11:15:00 am »
Doors open at 8. The time on rock music concert tickets is almost always the time the doors open, unlike theatre tickets where the time is that of the performance.......

tooms

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2003, 12:00:00 pm »
I don't know, i think this it means the show starts at 8 (or so) and the doors would open earlier.  Remember, Smith Center isn't a rock club---rock clubs usually list the time the doors open b/c they want to get people in to drink at the bar.

I think it'll be treated like an arena show where the time listed on the ticket is usually about the time the opening band starts and the doors open earlier.

Plus, I bet Smith Center has a relatively early curfew, so they probably will need to get it going.

The show is GA, i would think it's first come, first serve on seating or standing.

markie

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2003, 06:33:00 pm »
Kurosawa, our correspondent from the front line just called in a news flash:

"Doors are opening at 7.

The soundcheck sounded brilliant."

Thanks Kurosawa.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2003, 02:06:00 pm »
Liked the show.  Opening band left a lot to be desired.  You could tell the venue was a gym and not a club.  (Acoustic sucked.)  Stripes played a good variety.  Was worth the drive from Richmond to see the show but will wait until they are at a better venue to see them again.
FUKIT

sonickteam2

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2003, 09:22:00 am »
Ok, so it was QUITE a pain to even get to this show, and i didnt even get to the Smith Center til after 8:30, or it was almost 9.  So I missed Whirlwind Heat and only got about 1/2way up toward the front.  But it was ok.
   They fucking rock so hard. I dont know WHAT was wrong with everyone there. I mean, i guess its "cool" to just stand there and look unimpressed, and i can assume that you may have even been unimpressed for some of it.  But when they did Ball and Biscuit and Just Don't Know what to do with myself, I dont know what more you can ask for.  
     True, the sound was only as hot as a gym sound can be, But it was bearable and acceptable, hopefully they will play someplace else next time.
     One of the better shows i have seen all year.  and when they played Screwdriver, it made me think, "I'll be seeing them play again for another 10 years at least"
     hope everyone else had as good a time as me, and sorry i didnt meet up with anyone.

sonickteam2

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2003, 09:26:00 am »
ok let me add to this.

1. Screwdriver was one of the best live songs i have heard played in a VERY long time.

2. Jack White is one hell of a guitar player and should be recognized that way.

3. I dont like hipsters with big hair cause my girlfriend cant see over them  :)

MaLo

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2003, 09:59:00 am »

They fucking rock so hard. I dont know WHAT was wrong with everyone there. I mean, i guess its "cool" to just stand there and look unimpressed, and i can assume that you may have even been unimpressed for some of it.  But when they did Ball and Biscuit and Just Don't Know what to do with myself, I dont know what more you can ask for.  

yeah, the crowd was kinda lame, i stood up to dance at a couple points in the show and got yelled at to sit down by people behind me.  which is understandable seeing as i was in the seated area, but still people weren't even showing the least bit of amusement by the show.  Also, they must've had really padded butts, or maybe i just have a really boney butt, cos after sitting there for over an hour my butt was hurting!

but yeah, other than the lame (and fat) ass people sitting in my section, the show was good

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2003, 10:07:00 am »
Isn't it a bit ironic people blame a less than perfect concert (if it was that) on a "lame crowd"? The performers are giving the performance, not the crowd.

White Stripes: Rocking Is Fundamental

By David Segal
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Monday, November 24, 2003; Page C01

When medical science can build the perfect garage rocker -- and surely, we're just years away from that glorious day -- lab workers should acquire a double helix or two from Jack White, the multi-gifted frontman of the White Stripes. The guy has just about every strand of DNA you'd need for the ultimate test tube guitar god. Power-chord mastery? Check! Intensity? Check! Unruly black hair? Check! Ghostly pallor? Oh yes. A voice that can screech in the loud moments and lilt through the soft ones? Absolutely.

This once-in-a-decade talent brought a crowd of more than 4,000 to George Washington University's Smith Center on Saturday night. The White Stripes -- Jack and his ex-wife, Meg White, who plays drums -- are the most heartening musical story of 2003, and their ascent marks one of those rare and wondrous moments when you look at the Billboard charts and think: Sometimes the system works. The band's fourth album, "Elephant," has outsold Madonna's latest, which is astounding given that just 18 months ago, hardly anyone but dedicated Spin readers knew their name.

If you've never heard them, the White Stripes are a bit like Led Zeppelin on a pauper's budget -- the same dedication to metal and melody, but without any of the frills, and most notably, without a bass player. On albums, the duo's leanness seems a virtue, a demonstration of how powerful rock can be when it sticks to the essentials.

But in a concert, the White Stripes' asceticism presents a challenge. How does a guy and his guitar and a gal and her drums entertain a venue as large as the Smith Center? A couple of dozen thrashy songs will get you much of the way there, but it takes more than music to drive an audience this large into that goggle-eyed state of rock-concert euphoria. It takes showbiz. It takes shtick. It takes whatever it is that compels Bruce Springsteen to tell hokey stories, or causes Iggy Pop to leap headfirst into crowds, or spurs Andrew W.K. to invite fans to leap on his back.

This is the one rock gene that Jack White lacks: He doesn't do shtick.

Well, on Saturday night he did a little shtick. He dressed, as he always does, in red; he spoke with an accent that is certainly not from his native Detroit; and he referred to Meg as his sister, although by now everyone knows she isn't. But from the outset, a shredding version of "Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground," he seemed a bit overwhelmed, or shy, or perhaps just nervous. Maybe the just-business style is simply his style. Aside from some rushed pleasantries that were hard to understand, he barely acknowledged the audience, and considering the dizzying impact of his guitar playing, he came across as a bit reserved.

So the concert was two radically different things, almost at once: goose-bump great and a little dull, on fire one moment and strangely subdued the next. The audience, even near the stage, seemed more like gawkers at a zoo than fans in a frenzy. It was as if they were waiting for a sign to go berserk, and the sign never came.

Though low on showmanship, the concert made an irresistible case for the music of the White Stripes. Switching in nanoseconds between rhythm and lead guitar, the Whites ambushed a batch of tunes from "Elephant," including "Seven Nation Army," "The Hardest Button to Button" and "Ball and Biscuit." With a screen behind the pair projecting geometric shapes in primary colors, the Whites paid homage to their forefathers and -mothers: a cover of Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee," a glowering take on Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself" and a tingle-inducing version of Dolly Parton's "Jolene." Blues legend Son House was resurrected through an electric slide re-imagining of "Death Letter." Meg stepped to the mic for her one tune, "In the Cold, Cold Night," but mostly spent the evening pounding the basics on her drums, and yielding the spotlight to Jack. The show ended with an abrupt "thank you," followed by enough cheers to bring the group out for a handful of encores.

"I hope you enjoyed the basketball game," he said, a little enigmatically. "We're going home to hug our mother." With the closer, "Boll Weevil," Jack White finally interacted with the crowd, inviting everyone to sing "I'm looking for a home" in unison. Everyone obliged, but the show could have used another dozen moments like that. The reality is that if the White Stripes played the very same set in a tiny venue, you'd probably quit your job and follow the band for the rest of your life. But these crazy kids have gone national, and when you go national, it's hard to show up with nothing more than songs.

No doubt if the White Stipes had played the very same set in a tiny venue, Jack could have babbled in Dutch and it wouldn't have mattered. But with so much acreage to fill, the band could use some razzle-dazzle in the program. That's the thing about catching on. The rooms get bigger and then it's not just about the music anymore.

This isn't news to the band, of course. Here are the lyrics to "LIttle Room," a 50-second outburst from their second-to-last album.

When you're in your little room

And you're working on something good

But if it's really good

You're going to need a bigger room

And when you're in the bigger room

You might not know what to do

You might have to think of how you got started

Sitting in your little room.

mustourdman

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2003, 10:11:00 am »

1. Screwdriver was one of the best live songs i have heard played in a VERY long time.

2. Jack White is one hell of a guitar player and should be recognized that way.

3. I dont like hipsters with big hair cause my girlfriend cant see over them   :)  
I agree with all three of those points! But the Smith Center was a pain to get to? It's nearly the same distance from a Metro as 9:30, and the on-street parking is probably slightly better (and less risky).

The Post's review today was spot on -- about as good of a show as you could expect given the setting. I think Segal was on to something in his review -- it's up to the band to get energy flowing through the crowd, and they can't just do it with awesome music.

Today's indie and garage bands are putting out some of the best rock-n-roll ever, but compare their crowd interaction with some much-less talented groups of years past... maybe I have selective memory, but it seems much more common for bands today to play a face-melting, gut-busting show on stage, but in terms of crowd interaction, they might as well be facing a different direction or performing in front of a wall.

No hellos, thank yous etc. between songs -- not even any obligatory HE SAID THE NAME OF OUR TOWN!!!! moments to get people out of their own little worlds. I still love the music, but the whole too-cool-for-school attitude definitely makes me less likely to move around and more likely to keep my enjoyment to myself. The Libertines last summer at the Black Cat was another example of a show that rocked on stage but featured a band that hardly acknowledged the crowd's presence.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2003, 10:14:00 am »
I really enjoyed the White Stripes set.  Jack really is an outstanding guitar player.  I think the venue could have been better...the acoustics were shit, especially w/out a bass player.  Very echo-y from where I stood...Definately a great band.  I'm just really not used to seeing shows in such a large venue.  This is about as large a show as I'm likely to attend, except of course the Wiggles tonight at the MCI Center with my little girl!

I left just a little early and hauled ass down to Iota and got there in time to get into the Detroit Cobras show.  Now that show totally killed.  If you've ever heard and liked a DC record, you would have loved this.  My only complaint is that they didn't play longer.  I can't wait for them to come back to this area.  Anyone else make this show?

Celeste

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2003, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  White Stripes: Rocking Is Fundamental
 By David Segal
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 "I hope you enjoyed the basketball game," he said, a little enigmatically.
more proof Segal is a dullard...the concert was in a *gym* right? duh!what's so enigmatic about that...

markie

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2003, 10:30:00 am »
Well I enjoyed the white stripes......

But saying the libertines rocked the blackcat, but the libertines didnt rock the smith center is just missing the obvious, one if 8 times bigger than the other, and one has alcohol sales, the other I couldnt even find a diet pepsi. One is dark with low ceilings, one is bright and looks like a basketball court.

I did think the crowd was ready to erupt, but it never quite did. Perhaps a lot of first time concert goers and young girls in the front middle really was the reason?

The white Stripes did have a shakey start, I really wasnt impressed by Dead Leaves on the dirty ground, but both of them sounded a little fluey. But by about the fifth song they seemed to more into it and sound much better.

Afterwards we took the trip to iota and got to see the last 4 songs of the detroit cobras. They looked like they had been rocking the iota. I think I might of had more fun spending the whole night there, with the old drunk people and crazy Larry.