Author Topic: 100 Greatest Living Songwriters  (Read 12347 times)

organizedconfusion

Re: 100 Greatest Living Songwriters
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »
They got something against bob marley and the wailers? or maybe i'm just not seeing it in the top 20. My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2006, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by organizedconfusion:
  They got something against bob marley and the wailers? or maybe i'm just not seeing it in the top 20. My eyes must be playing tricks on me.
i don't think bob marley is among the living.
OU812

nkotb

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2006, 02:35:00 pm »
Do you think that omission might have something to do with the list being the greatest LIVING songwriters???

ggw

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2006, 02:36:00 pm »
It's "living" songwriters.  The Wailers tunes were mainly written by Marley or Tosh - both deceased.

nkotb

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
No Bach?

ggw

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  No Bach?
Johann or 'baz?

Guiny

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  No Bach?
Sebestian from Skidrow?

sonickteam2

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2006, 02:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
    And for the record, I love REM,  
me too!!

in fact, i get cranky if i dont have enough of it!  ;)

jeffnar

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chaz Nakatestes, Breaststroking Guy:
  Actually, the bands you list all have more than a few good tunes. Except Jack White, of course.

Originally posted by jeffnar:
  ehh, these lists are always lacking some obvious ones (s. merrit, the cure, the rest of the beatles, mould, etc.). i'm just amazed at how much it's skewered to the present, and acts with a few good tunes at most (driveby truckers, jack white, beck, tweedy, ryan adams, etc.?!?!? -PLEASE!!!!) rank higher than several artists with 50-100 great tunes.
[/b]
fair enough, let's spot them all 20 GREAT songs, and give tweedy and beck a few more...stephen merrit, the cure, the rest of the beatles, mould, and other notable omissions would still outrank them and replace them.

as has been said, these lists are always great discussion generators. and a list like this without at least a few '90's/00's songwriters would certainly be lame and lacking. but quality and quantity surely count, so let's at least put those guys where they belong, much further down at the end of the list. tweedy at 24? beck at 36? ryan adams at 43? c'mon, that's just plain laughable looking at the 50 folks behind them and the omissions.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2006, 03:19:00 am »
    But I guess rap isn't considered song writing.
It most certainly is not....or music for that matter.

It is a form of performance art though, so I think of it as "reverse racist ranting" or more seriously "Urban Poetry"

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2006, 06:51:00 am »
Have you read Paste? They're an Americana-leaning American magazine whose focus is on CURRENT music. Need I say more?

I'm sure NME's corresponding list would be much more Brit-centric, Magnet's would be more indie-centric, and Rolling Stone's version would focus much more on the past.

Actually, the bands you list all have more than a few good tunes. Except Jack White, of course.

ehh, these lists are always lacking some obvious ones (s. merrit, the cure, the rest of the beatles, mould, etc.). i'm just amazed at how much it's skewered to the present, and acts with a few good tunes at most (driveby truckers, jack white, beck, tweedy, ryan adams, etc.?!?!? -PLEASE!!!!) rank higher than several artists with 50-100 great tunes.
[/b]
fair enough, let's spot them all 20 GREAT songs, and give tweedy and beck a few more...stephen merrit, the cure, the rest of the beatles, mould, and other notable omissions would still outrank them and replace them.

as has been said, these lists are always great discussion generators. and a list like this without at least a few '90's/00's songwriters would certainly be lame and lacking. but quality and quantity surely count, so let's at least put those guys where they belong, much further down at the end of the list. tweedy at 24? beck at 36? ryan adams at 43? c'mon, that's just plain laughable looking at the 50 folks behind them and the omissions. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2006, 08:56:00 am »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

But I guess rap isn't considered song writing.
It most certainly is not....or music for that matter.[/b]
not a big suprise here, but you're (self-admittedly) completely ignorant on this topic, right? ... try not speaking of what you don't know
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2006, 09:00:00 am »
 Rolling Stone's version would focus much more on the past.
has anyone else noticed that nary an issue goes by without rolling stone mentioning eric clapton someway or somehow (usually in the "random notes" section)
(o|o)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
Horrible.

Nick Cave should be a bit higher than 90. Definitely a better songwriter than Iron & Wine.

I think Tori Amos and Belle and Sebastian should've been on that list.
Woof.

jeffnar

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
  Have you read Paste? They're an Americana-leaning American magazine whose focus is on CURRENT music. Need I say more?
thanx, didn't know that. yes, that explains tweedy's and adam's uberstatus with these guys.