Author Topic: Last Night's Oscars...  (Read 5624 times)

vansmack

Re: Last Night's Oscars...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
While I liked Stewart, I always felt he was going to have the Letterman experience hosting the Oscars.  If you watch him often, you "get" him and you followed along quite nicely, probably even enjoyed him.  Of course, if you don't watch the Daily Show a lot of his humor went right past you.

I doubt we see him do it again, but he did sneak a "laid" in there before 9 PM ET (6 PM PT)...  liked that.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  Given that Constant Gardener wasn't nominated, what movie do you feel should have won best picture among those nominated?
"Capote" or "Good Night and Good Luck"  --- I thought both were superb.  

I didn't like "Crash," which I know puts me in a minority, but the "coincidental" overlapping of the stories came too fast and furious for me to stomach.  Parts of it were fantastic, but the threads holding it together were weak, to me.

"Brokeback" was fine, compelling, but I didn't think best picture.

I didn't see "Munich" (sold out the time I tried), so my picks are based on four of the five.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 01:14:00 pm »
I haven't watched the show yet (I tivo'd it, but was at B&S so I just fast-forwarded to the big 6 awards when I got home), but Tom Shales thought it was a dude.  Indicates little as to whether I enjoy it or not, but it may be the phenomenon Vansmack is talking about -- folks who've built a relationship with Stewart and his approach get him, but the rest don't.  Also, his humor may be just too dry and subtle for an event like this.  That's why Rock was great, but, you know, he made fun of Jude Law!!!!!

Memo to Jon Stewart: Keep Your 'Daily' Job

By Tom Shales
 Monday, March 6, 2006; C01
 The Washington Post

"Crash" was not only the film chosen Best Picture at the 78th Academy Awards last night; it was also the sound made by the show itself as, metaphorically speaking, it drove into a wall.

It's hard to believe that professional entertainers could have put together a show less entertaining than this year's Oscars, hosted with a smug humorlessness by comic Jon Stewart, a sad and pale shadow of great hosts gone by.

The movie "Munich" was represented in one category, musical score, by a clip in which suspense built over a bomb that didn't go off. The Oscar show on ABC, televised live from Los Angeles, was a bomb that did.

Film buffs and the politically minded, meanwhile, will be arguing this morning about whether the Best Picture Oscar to "Crash" was really for the film's merit or just a cop-out by the Motion Picture Academy so it wouldn't have to give the prize to "Brokeback Mountain," a movie about two cowboys who fall reluctantly but passionately in love.

"Mountain" won two of the major awards leading up to Best Picture: Best Screenplay Adaptation (co-winner Larry McMurtry wore baggy jeans with his tuxedo jacket) and Best Director, for Ang Lee. In his acceptance speech, Lee said the movie was not just about a homosexual affair but about "the greatness of love itself."

But the Academy ran out of love for the film at that point, making "Crash" the surprise winner. To its credit, "Crash" (which won two other Oscars) deals with important social issues too, especially racism in American society.

Among the more beguiling acceptance speeches was that given by Reese Witherspoon, who won for playing country singer June Carter in "Walk the Line," the story of Johnny Cash. "I never thought I'd be up here in my whole life," she said with ingenuous charm. She also quoted June Carter's succinct philosophy of life: "I'm just trying to matter."

The program looked gorgeous in high-definition television from the Kodak Theatre, but it was filled with so many clips -- piles and piles and miles and miles of clips from films present and past -- that the visual luster was squandered. The audience at home does not want to look at clips. It wants to look at big-time movie stars.

Unfortunately, those are in increasingly short supply. When Jack Nicholson strode out to give the Best Picture prize at the evening's end, there was not only an ovation but a huge sigh of relief in the audience -- a sense of the whole crowd saying, "Oh yes, we still have giants in the business."

This point was made earlier as well when Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin did a masterly, breathless impression of a film by special honoree Robert Altman, replete with overlapping dialogue, half-finished thoughts and constant interruptions. This was a piece of presentation that must have taken weeks to master in rehearsal; it was a double virtuoso performance.

Stewart began the show drearily, loping through a monologue that lacked a single hilarious joke with the possible exception of "Bjork couldn't be here tonight. She was trying on her Oscar dress and Dick Cheney shot her."

That was about it -- and Stewart had five months, working with his legions of writers from the "Daily Show" on Comedy Central, to come up with good material. It goes to prove that there's still a big, big difference between basic cable and big-time network television after all.

The liveliest moment of the night was contributed by the hip-hop ensemble Three 6 Mafia performing a nominated song, "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," from the film "Hustle & Flow." The group practically brought the house down, leading Stewart to ask, following the riotous performance, "How come they're the most excited people here tonight?" He said more Oscar acceptance speeches should be as rollicking. But it's the host's job to generate excitement, too, and Stewart generated none.

There was a cute taped bit before he appeared in which past hosts turned the job down. Billy Crystal and Chris Rock said no because they were sharing a tent a la "Brokeback." Even David Letterman, who has joked for years about flopping as an Oscar host, made a gracious reappearance as if to say "no hard feelings."

Letterman's hosting gig, however, was better than Stewart's by far.

For some strange reason, ABC decided to play music under most of the acceptance speeches, instead of just having music interrupt winners when it was time for them to walk off. Perhaps the music was there to facilitate the use of a 10- or 15-second delay, part of the new morality inflicted on TV by the FCC, which levies fines for naughty words even when they are spoken spontaneously and with no malice aforethought on shows like this.

Among other highlights: Jessica Alba's dress; Jessica Alba; a handsome Plexiglas lectern that facilitated some dramatic shots from just in front of the stage; the usual tastefully done "in memoriam" montage for film figures who died since the last Oscarcast; and Jennifer Lopez looking particularly attractive.

Winners of Best Documentary Feature for the film "March of the Penguins" had the clunky bad taste to bring stuffed penguins onto the stage with them. It was a joke that laid a penguin-size egg.

The epitome of honesty perhaps came when Stewart muttered "I am a loser" into the microphone. He was speaking not only for himself but for the whole show.

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 01:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  The epitome of honesty perhaps came when Stewart muttered "I am a loser" into the microphone. He was speaking not only for himself but for the whole show.
I haven't missed an Oscars in over 25 years, and last night's was not nearly this bad.

Like I said, either you get him or you don't.  Clearly, this guy didn't get him, but he can't be blamed for producing a boring show.  He killed the actual producers for showing too many clips much better than this guy did!
27>34

SalParadise

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by Bags:
I haven't missed an Oscars in over 25 years, and last night's was not nearly this bad.

Like I said, either you get him or you don't.  Clearly, this guy didn't get him, but he can't be blamed for producing a boring show.  He killed the actual producers for showing too many clips much better than this guy did! [/b]
yeah, he wasn't that bad. i cracked up at the "scorsese: 0 oscars, 3-6 mafia: 1 oscar" bit. (i'm still laughing about it)

ggw

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 02:07:00 pm »
I didn't think Stewart was "bad."  He was simply flat and lifeless like the rest of the show.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 02:07:00 pm »
a)  i couldn't stand "crash" ... it just beat you over the head constantly with the same goddamn simple message ... but i could see how this movie would be great for a huge chunk of people in this country who simply aren't "thinkers", they just go about their business and don't really discuss or think about tough topics like racism ... i can understand how, if you're part of this demographic, seeing "crash" could be a revelatory experience (wow, racism still exists!)

b)  the academy got a lot of heat about nominating all these films which NOBODY saw, i really think that's why they ended up giving the award to "crash" over "brokeback" ... the oscars certainly aren't the grammys, but they need to reward excellence in box office performance (see "march of the penguins") ... i've also read reports about homophobic older academy voters who simply refused to watch "brokeback" and never would have voted for it, but i'm not sure how much credibility these have

c)  tom shales is a whining bitch, always has and always will be ... i thought jon stewart did a good job, best line of the night was the "scorcese v. 36 mafia oscar scorecard" ... thankfully we FFWed through the clip stuff (although the homoerotic cowboy stuff was hilarious) and most of the lesser awards, but watching the show in about an hour and a half made it come off pretty well
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »
i really do believe that some people are sarcastically challendged, they just don't get when somethings sarcastic.

i used to like tom shales npr movie reviews before moving to DC, but never really liked his tv reviews.  he takes issue with anything he considers mean-spirited i.e. "My Name Is Earl"

can't see why people thought Brokeback Mountain was such a good movie... for me it was like King Kong, overly long, in need of editing, yes it looked great on the screen and the story interesting.  i found the female characters. the wives and the mother of jake's character who made that brief appearence at the end, much more interesting than the men,  more complexitiy under the surface. and the actresses gave the more compelling performances...  heath and jake will continue to be popcorn crowd favorites.
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »
oh, and the "oscar campaign" clips with colbert doing the narration were really really funny (especially the sound editing one) ... but do you think it was a little too "insider"?  do most people realize how much campaigning goes on by studios and actors and whatnot for the awards?
(o|o)

Guiny

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

b)  the academy got a lot of heat about nominating all these films which NOBODY saw, i really think that's why they ended up giving the award to "crash" over "brokeback" ... the oscars certainly aren't the grammys, but they need to reward excellence in box office performance (see "march of the penguins") ... [/QB]
Who the hell saw "March Of Penguins"?  And did more people see it compared to "Crash" and "brokeback"?  I can honestly say, I haven't seen any of the three.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Who the hell saw "March Of Penguins"?
March of the Penguins   $77,437,223
 Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room   $4,071,700
 Murderball   $1,531,154
 Darwin's Nightmare   $163,487
 Street Fight   $4,779

i haven't seen enron yet, but murderball was incredible, 10x better than penguins ... penguins is the 2nd highest grossing documentary of all time ... still behind farenheit 9/11, i think
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  March of the Penguins   $77,437,223

That's as much (if not more) than Brokeback Mountain.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 That's as much (if not more) than Brokeback Mountain.
yeah, this is my first time looking at boxofficemojo in a while, i'm really surprised at how much brokeback has pulled in ... it's at ~$79,000,000 right now, with crash only at ~$53,000,000 ... guess my whole hypothesis on rewarding box office performance for best picture goes down the drain =)
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »
In terms of 2005 boxoffice

Walk The Line - 18th - $98,403,000
 March of Penquins - 25th
 Wallace & Gromit - 45th - $56million
 Crash - 47th - $53 million

Capote, Constant Gardener, Capote, Junebug, didn't make the top 50.

Brokeback wasn't released until Christmas so i wouldn't show up on the 2005 list

Six times more people saw Star Wars, the top grossing movie, than Crash.  Crash may have done decent rental...
T.Rex