Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10004801 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #50025 on: September 28, 2021, 08:15:43 pm »
Hmm. Roseanne?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #50026 on: September 28, 2021, 08:32:48 pm »
think you all are just sexist pigs

Zoe Kravitz is an attractive woman

uh, you're not helping your case...
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #50027 on: September 29, 2021, 10:19:38 am »
I enjoyed it and think you all are just sexist pigs who can't fathom a female in the lead.  Shame.

Zoe Kravitz is an attractive woman but I can't think of a less attractive TV character.

I didn't make it through one episode. Terrible.

Starsky

« Reply #50028 on: September 29, 2021, 10:38:18 am »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #50029 on: September 29, 2021, 10:38:49 am »
While I do think JeffML is somewhat trolling the more liberal base of this community, I do think there's a conversation to be had about why do (most) of us find the male protagonist High Fidelity tolerable (if the character himself was unlikable) but we have such revulsion for the female fronted one. I do think there is probably some gender roles into why we can stomach misogynistic male curmudgeonly behavior but when we see a woman doing this, we are having such a visceral reaction to this.

I also think part of this is (1) the original movie was not very good, (2) mores have changed and it hasn't aged well, and (3) what is irksome at 90 minutes is intolerable stretched out to 10 hours or however long the show would be.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #50030 on: September 29, 2021, 10:53:34 am »
While I do think JeffML is somewhat trolling the more liberal base of this community, I do think there's a conversation to be had about why do (most) of us find the male protagonist High Fidelity tolerable (if the character himself was unlikable) but we have such revulsion for the female fronted one. I do think there is probably some gender roles into why we can stomach misogynistic male curmudgeonly behavior but when we see a woman doing this, we are having such a visceral reaction to this.

I also think part of this is (1) the original movie was not very good, (2) mores have changed and it hasn't aged well, and (3) what is irksome at 90 minutes is intolerable stretched out to 10 hours or however long the show would be.

I read the book nearly 25 years ago, and saw the movie 20+ years ago. I'm a different person now than I was then. That said, I honestly don't remember much about the book or the movie. I remember making negative comments on this board about Nick Hornby, and getting slammed for it, but that's unrelated.

I saw the show within the last year or so. I found the main character grossly sef-absorbed, more so than any other tv character of recently memory. She also smoked like a chimney, which is a huge turn-off to me.

Yada

« Reply #50031 on: September 29, 2021, 10:56:14 am »

I read the book nearly 25 years ago, and saw the movie 20+ years ago. I'm a different person now than I was then. That said, I honestly don't remember much about the book or the movie. I remember making negative comments on this board about Nick Hornby, and getting slammed for it, but that's unrelated.

I saw the show within the last year or so. I found the main character grossly sef-absorbed, more so than any other tv character of recently memory. She also smoked like a chimney, which is a huge turn-off to me.

The only thing I remember about high fidelity is that it made me love The Beta Band.

Starsky

« Reply #50032 on: September 29, 2021, 11:00:23 am »
The book and movie are completely different animals…one is English and one is American

We got to be clear which we are talking about

Seems to be the movie..

The movie is serviceable…better than average..a B….three popcorn boxes…. but very disposable

Jack Black has obviously worn out his welcome long ago… but he was funny in the movie….

The soundtrack is great…along with Rushmore one of the best from that period
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:05:48 am by Starsky »

« Reply #50033 on: September 29, 2021, 11:05:21 am »
can confirm...
Recently put Lo Boob Oscillator on a mix for my kid and they couldn't stop laughing when the title came up...forgot it was on this soundtrack
slack

Yada

« Reply #50034 on: September 29, 2021, 11:09:30 am »
can confirm...
Recently put Lo Boob Oscillator on a mix for my kid and they couldn't stop laughing when the title came up...forgot it was on this soundtrack

A spotify mix?

Starsky

« Reply #50036 on: September 29, 2021, 11:13:29 am »
Pretty good mix!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #50037 on: September 29, 2021, 11:24:10 am »
The movie is serviceable…better than average..a B….three popcorn boxes…. but very disposable

hot take: popcorn is horrible

Starsky

« Reply #50038 on: September 29, 2021, 11:27:15 am »

I love it… I am eating more popcorn than ever…

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #50039 on: September 29, 2021, 12:25:52 pm »

agreed.  i hate the smell - machine-popped, microwave, at the movie theater - it's all ick.  and that artificial butter is just gross.
<sig>