Author Topic: Immediate Leaving  (Read 2458 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Immediate Leaving
« on: November 25, 2003, 11:07:00 pm »
So right after some of the best power pop musicians, Bill Lloyd, Don Dixon, Jamie Hoover and Robert Crenshaw, leave the stage I'll be leaving the club.  Shudder the thought of hearing some college rock hacks who can't rate above 3 stars at allmusic.com
T.Rex

Liberte

Re: Immediate Leaving
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 11:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  So right after some of the best power pop musicians, Bill Lloyd, Don Dixon, Jamie Hoover and Robert Crenshaw, leave the stage I'll be leaving the club.  Shudder the thought of hearing some college rock hacks who can't rate above 3 stars at allmusic.com
I dunno about "immediate leaving," being one of those cheap SOBs who gets his money's worth if it kills him (and I might have to buy a ticket for this one).  On the merits though I wonder about the order on the marquee.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, commercial appeal and local name recognition and all that.  Still.

Bill Lloyd is worth the ticket price all by himself.  Seen him play in Nashville to audiences of jaded studio musicians who as pure players can blow about everyone else you think is good into the weeds, and after every song there was about three seconds of "how does he do that?" silence before everyone goes wild.  Those other three guys are pretty damned good too.

Bags

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
I know I could look it up, but what are y'all talking about?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 02:08:00 pm »
bill lloyd, don dixon, jamie hoover and robert crenshaw are warming up for emment swimming at the 9:30 club on 1/9. it's clearly a case of a group of talented musicians with years of experience warming up for a local watered down version of the dave matthews band.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 02:11:00 pm »
Aaaah, or like Sloan opening for Pete Yorn.  Thanks...

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 02:22:00 pm »
  local watered down version of the dave matthews band.
that is a bit harsh

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 03:13:00 pm »
is average 90's college rock band better?
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
  is average 90's college rock band better?
yes, but I actually like some of the songs off their first two albums, or did that is, has been a while

twangirl

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 05:35:00 pm »
FYI Don Dixon produced one of emmet's records, I think maybe the second one, which is the connection that led us to book Crenshaw, Dixon, Hoover & Lloyd on that show.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 06:12:00 pm »
that wouldn't suprise me... i know don also produced some of the early hootie and the blowfish records. and often when on the road with them as a support act. and lets not forget he engineered a little record called "Murmur" by some band called r.e.m, and produced "Especially For You" by The Smithereens.

if fact Don Dixon has been involved in several of my most favorite records, Marti Jones, Tommy Keene, The Hang-Ups, Guadalcanal Diary, and Let's Active.
T.Rex