Author Topic: Memphis  (Read 4187 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Memphis
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 02:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Alex:

Graceland and the surrounding area is incredibly dirty, tacky and overrated.  It was a huge letdown to walk by and go "wow...that's it?"
did you take the tour?!?
OU812

alex

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
nah, didn't really feel like going in after seeing the surrounding area.  is it any good inside?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »
  nah, didn't really feel like going in after seeing the surrounding area.  is it any good inside?
dude, if you have to ask. . .
OU812

twangirl

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 03:15:00 pm »
You should really take the tour, the Jungle Room alone is worth the price of admission IMO. Also the museum across the street that has a bunch of Elvis' cars in there is cool, if you like vintage cars. And you can go inside his private plane there too. Personally, I appreciated seeing how un-opulent everything was. He could have afforded to live in the utmost luxury but clearly was just a downhome guy at heart, gold lamé Nudie suit notwithstanding. I probably won't take the tour again, but am defintiely glad I did it once.

The surrounding area [Elvis Presley Blvd] is very rundown, but if you like thrift shopping, the AmVet right down the street from Graceland is large and I've had some good scores there.

renton007

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 07:53:00 am »
I'll give another "show of support" for the Graceland tour.  I took it about 10 years ago.  

I believe you can get a bundled package which includes Graceland/private aircraft/auto musuem.  I'd just go for the Graceland tour myself, unless planes and cars are your bag.  

The Graceland tour was self guided by way of a bulky personal walkman.  The technolgy is probably better now.  The best part is seeing the graves at the end.  

Sun Studio was probably my favorite stop, lots of photos and interesting facts are presented.  I think you just walk into the room and someone mumbles at you for 10 minutes about its history, so nothing theatrical but still awesome.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
thanks for all the tips, i didn't have as much time to get out and see the sights because of the heavy drinking involved with the wedding schedule, but i made it to the civil rights museum and the arcade, and walked all over downtown

i can't believe how completely empty and deserted downtown memphis was ... that place is due for some dc-style gentrification!
(o|o)

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 01:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Saxa 03, 08:
 but i made it to the civil rights museum
Did you see any white power neo-nazis?  I hear tell they're everywhere.  They multiply like roaches...for every one you see there are ten thousand hidden inside the walls.

SalParadise

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by renton007:

The Graceland tour was self guided by way of a bulky personal walkman.  The technolgy is probably better now.  
ha... it was still the same bulky personal walkmans when i was there in 2004.

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »
claim your gay, real loud and flamboyant like, in one of them there manly man comboy bars . . . and watch the fun erupt.

'cuz memphis has friends in low places, where the boys are girls with bruised faces.

walkonby

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  claim your gay, real loud and flamboyant like, in one of them there manly man comboy bars . . . and watch the fun erupt.

'cuz memphis has friends in low places, where the boys are girls with bruised faces.
"comboy?"  oops, slip of my tongue.