Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1749989 times)

Arthwys

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2005, 11:06:00 am »
Get the Stone Roses to reform and we'll have a festival.
Emrys

distance

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2005, 03:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  Hey Seth, New Order booked Chicago and NYC...any chance you can get them somewhere in DC?  Pretty please? NO Constitution Hall, please put them in a decent-sounding venue...a couple nights at the 9:30 maybe?
bah.
 chicago is at the aragon.  that place sucks.

bearman🐻

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2005, 04:52:00 pm »
Been there lately? I sure wish we had an Aragon in DC instead of the Patriot Center, Constitution Hall or Bender Arena. The Aragon at least has interesting architecture and they've made HUGE improvements in sound compared to about 10 or 15 years ago.

set1914

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2005, 05:25:00 pm »
I would like you to get The Panic Channel for the 9:30 when the get around to tour. They would rock the place out. Also, get lots of good show for Merryweather this years to show "those" people that they should leave the place like it is.

distance

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2005, 05:42:00 pm »
  Been there lately? I sure wish we had an Aragon in DC instead of the Patriot Center, Constitution Hall or Bender Arena. The Aragon at least has interesting architecture and they've made HUGE improvements in sound compared to about 10 or 15 years ago.
i was there in 03 and i thought the sound wasn't very good.  i am sure it's better than basketball arenas, but i wasn't at all impressed with the place when i went.  i've never been to bender, i loathe DAR and i haven't been to the patriot center in years.

bearman🐻

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
Guess I have a lot of fond memories of the Aragon, and I'm a sucker for any place that makes you feel like you're at a rock show in Morocco. The turrets are very cool, and if you know where to stand sound isn't an issue. The Pixies were great there, I had plenty of room around me even though the shows were sold out. The Aragon certainly was an awesome venue for other bands I've seen like Sugar and Catherine Wheel. Sugar in particular were great at killing the sludgy sound quality.

However, the Aragon and the Beastie Boys are responsible for making my ears ring for four days straight back in 1992. The bass was just unreal...back then it was a horrible place to see a show. But they have done wonders to change that overall.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2005, 06:14:00 pm »
Yeah...the only show I saw there was in 93 (primus and the melvins). The sound really WAS horrible (same as DAR, maybe worse). I'd be interested in hearing how they made it better. Did they tear the place down and rebuild from scratch?

My grandmother used to go to dances there, btw...when it really was a ballroom.

Guess I have a lot of fond memories of the Aragon, and I'm a sucker for any place that makes you feel like you're at a rock show in Morocco. The turrets are very cool, and if you know where to stand sound isn't an issue. The Pixies were great there, I had plenty of room around me even though the shows were sold out. The Aragon certainly was an awesome venue for other bands I've seen like Sugar and Catherine Wheel. Sugar in particular were great at killing the sludgy sound quality.

However, the Aragon and the Beastie Boys are responsible for making my ears ring for four days straight back in 1992. The bass was just unreal...back then it was a horrible place to see a show. But they have done wonders to change that overall.

bearman🐻

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »
Basically it boils down to putting some gigantic sound-absorbing mats towards the ceiling. The 9:30 Club did something similar when they moved in. Primus (whose sound emphasizes bass) in 1993 would have been awful, much like the Beastie Boys were. Too much reverberation and even with a packed house the bodies can't absorb it all. I won't say the Aragon is perfect, but it's such a dramatic improvement that regular concert-goers in Chicago noticed the changes immediately. I am a huge fan of the old theaters...the Warfield in SF, the Aragon and Riviera in Chicago, etc. There's a lot of character and even though the acoustics aren't always pristine, it's still more interesting than a hockey rink or something like that. Even Kim Deal commented on how cool it was to play a venue that had so much character. My favorite thing about the Aragon though is the day care center on the first floor :-) I wonder how the kids managed to nap when the Pixies were sound checking through "Tame".

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
Hey Seth Part Deux...

I see the New York Dolls are doing more shows... Any chance they'll be touring outside of the Big Apple?

And since I'm feeling nostalgic any rumblings about a Stooges tour?  I was going to the Motown show until someone in Ohio pulled the plug a few summers ago.
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2005, 04:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 I see the New York Dolls are doing more shows... Any chance they'll be touring outside of the Big Apple?

please please please please please please please

Got Haggis?

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
rumors are New Order are playing the HFStival

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2005, 04:49:00 pm »
How about getting the Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis?

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2005, 05:12:00 pm »
Will Old 97's be playing 9:30 Club in May? They're already booked in ST Louis, Chicago, and Cleveland.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2005, 11:00:00 am »
Hey Seth

Any chance of Weezer on Monday 5/9?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by challenged:
  Hey Seth

Any chance of Weezer on Monday 5/9?
I'll second that request even though I'm sure it's pretty futile.