Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1760476 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #2400 on: March 03, 2010, 06:45:20 pm »
Thanks NKOTB.

Banning 1, 2 or even 10 bands in the 30+ years IMP has been in business is one thing. Banning 25 bands in a year is another.

احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2401 on: March 03, 2010, 06:51:11 pm »
Not sure about the answer to either question but I do remember Lambert boasting that number as if it was something to be proud of in a city paper interview from a couple years back.

Provide the quote dude otherwise it sounds like you're pullling stuff

And by the way the 930 Club has also banned bands - I happen to know a good friends band that was banned in the early 90s and never manage to play an IMP venue again- so lets keep things in perspective..

here's the thread where this all started, hutch: http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=11306.0

knowing ONE band that's been banned, but your own admission "in the early 90's", doesn't put someone on the same footing as this guy. 
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #2402 on: March 03, 2010, 06:59:40 pm »
Not sure about the answer to either question but I do remember Lambert boasting that number as if it was something to be proud of in a city paper interview from a couple years back.

Provide the quote dude otherwise it sounds like you're pullling stuff

And by the way the 930 Club has also banned bands - I happen to know a good friends band that was banned in the early 90s and never manage to play an IMP venue again- so lets keep things in perspective..

here's the thread where this all started, hutch: http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=11306.0

knowing ONE band that's been banned, but your own admission "in the early 90's", doesn't put someone on the same footing as this guy. 

Listen this is the silliest discussion ever but thanks for providing quote..

Its a known fact that different clubs will not book certain types of music yet I don't hear anyone complaining about that..

I mean the Black Cat on their very website makes it clear what kind of music they look to book and what they are not interested..

So if a promoter will not rebook certain bands what is the big deal? At least he booked them in the first place....

And say what you will about Red and Black but at least they book local bands quite often.. You've got to admit the 930 hardly ever books local bands... Is booking local bands regularly a good thing? I would think so!

Its just silly to get bent out of shape because a promoter says he won't book certain bands.. they all pass judgment in one way or another.

I'm sure the complaints about RRH go deeper than that!

azaghal1981

« Reply #2403 on: March 03, 2010, 09:11:17 pm »
You're right about this discussion not belonging here. It's Joe's fault. He brought up RNRH. Fuck you, Joe! Look what you did!

Back on topic:
it looks like Gui Boratto will be nearby in July. Ween, too.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:13:04 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Yada

« Reply #2404 on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:17 pm »
You're right about this discussion not belonging here. It's Joe's fault. He brought up RNRH. Fuck you, Joe! Look what you did!

Back on topic:

Where do you see any info regarding WEEN other than the disappointment of them playing Bisco Fest?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2405 on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:54 pm »
Its a known fact that different clubs will not book certain types of music yet I don't hear anyone complaining about that..

I mean the Black Cat on their very website makes it clear what kind of music they look to book and what they are not interested..

So if a promoter will not rebook certain bands what is the big deal? At least he booked them in the first place....

And say what you will about Red and Black but at least they book local bands quite often.. You've got to admit the 930 hardly ever books local bands... Is booking local bands regularly a good thing? I would think so!

Its just silly to get bent out of shape because a promoter says he won't book certain bands.. they all pass judgment in one way or another.

you've completely missed the point.  refusing to book a jazz band, because you're not looking to promote jazz events, makes business sense. 

refusing to re-book a band because of issues you have with them also makes good biz sense.

BUT a promoter bans TWENTY FIVE acts in one year (vs. other who haven't banned half as many in 10+ years)... ya start to wonder who is the problem - the bands, or the promoter.  scratch that.  you don't wonder, you know.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #2406 on: March 03, 2010, 10:14:56 pm »

Back on topic:

Where do you see any info regarding WEEN other than the disappointment of them playing Bisco Fest?
One would think (wishfully or otherwise) that that gig is part of a tour.
احمد

aglanixp

Massive Attack US dates now announced...DC please
« Reply #2407 on: March 05, 2010, 08:10:38 am »
OK, the Massive attack dates US dates are being released.
NY, LA, SF ....
DC?

hutch

« Reply #2408 on: March 05, 2010, 11:26:52 am »

you've completely missed the point.  refusing to book a jazz band, because you're not looking to promote jazz events, makes business sense. 

refusing to re-book a band because of issues you have with them also makes good biz sense.

BUT a promoter bans TWENTY FIVE acts in one year (vs. other who haven't banned half as many in 10+ years)... ya start to wonder who is the problem - the bands, or the promoter.  scratch that.  you don't wonder, you know.

I think you're getting caught in semantics here...  Moreover, you have no idea how many acts anybody else bans per year.

Really you guys are just trying to stir the pot with respect to RNRH.. If they want to "ban"- and I think its a silly word to latch on to even if the RNRH dude used it (probably thinking he was cool..)- or refuse to rebook bands because they are not meeting their expectations then there is nothing wrong with that.. At least they gave them a chance in the first place.

Also, you really have to THINK about this:

the bands the RNH dude is booking- many of them are young semi-professionals bands..its a different type of band from the 930... some of the bands playing the DC9/Red and Blac are really just young kids.... These types of bands will more often do things that mean you don't get invited back than say the established professional bands that make their living on touring: the types of bands that play the 930.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:29:42 am by hutch »

reggie

« Reply #2409 on: March 05, 2010, 11:43:26 am »
Hey Seth,
Bring Gorillaz to town. They will be touring the US.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2410 on: March 05, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
Moreover, you have no idea how many acts anybody else bans per year.

oh really? you need to catch up on the conversation before you join in.  from the same thread i linked before:
Damn. I've been booking all ages shows in Washington DC for 22 years, including 6 or 7 concurrent years in Baltimore, and while I've certainly had issues with bands and even banned a few, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with even 15 bands I've banned during my entire career.

TA-DAH! (in case you're new around here, tawngirl is the main booker at the 930).  that's less than one a year, vs 25 a year.

Really you guys are just trying to stir the pot with respect to RNRH.. If they want to "ban"- and I think its a silly word to latch on to even if the RNRH dude used it (probably thinking he was cool..)- or refuse to rebook bands because they are not meeting their expectations then there is nothing wrong with that.. At least they gave them a chance in the first place.

again, back to the point you've avoided: not doing business with some acts makes sense.  25 in one year, however, is RIDICULOUSLY HIGH.

Also, you really have to THINK about this:

the bands the RNH dude is booking- many of them are young semi-professionals bands..its a different type of band from the 930... some of the bands playing the DC9/Red and Blac are really just young kids.... These types of bands will more often do things that mean you don't get invited back than say the established professional bands that make their living on touring: the types of bands that play the 930.

very valid point, but doesn't cover the story IMO.  i doubt that twangirl has been booking big acts her entire career (see above quote), and snailhook deals with similar acts, yet:
i have been booking here since 2003 and have banned two bands, and only because of violence and destruction of venue equipment.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:47:13 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #2411 on: March 05, 2010, 05:28:05 pm »
Can you take the commentary about refusal to book bands to a new thread please? I am waiting for Seth to answer about soft sales. (well, that and when my next wish IS being booked at the club.) Thank you.

vansmack

« Reply #2412 on: March 05, 2010, 05:48:30 pm »
[shaking head]Hutch.[/shaking head]
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #2413 on: March 05, 2010, 06:26:11 pm »
I would love to see a Julian Plenti show at the club.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2414 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:06 pm »
I strongly second the creation of a offshot thread for banned in dc
T.Rex