Author Topic: Control  (Read 2646 times)

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
Control
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »
Anyone see the new movie "Control"? It's a new biopic about Ian Curtis, lead singer of 'Joy Division'. If someone has seen it, I would love to hear any feedback about it and if you know if it is still playing in DC or not.

taperkat

Re: Control
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:51:00 pm »
if you do some nefarious searching you can find it online. It's fucking amazing.

If anyone knows of it showing in DC, please post here. I'll go see it in a heartbeat.

anarchist

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »
you are 2 weeks behind the times.  now you gotta wait for the dvd.  it was ok, not great.  the actors that portrayed the band actually played the live music for movie.  that was the best part about it.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »
great movie - one of my favorite films this year. sam riley does a really great job portraying ian curtis - and his singing is damn good! loved the look of the film. ive seen it twice now (the 2nd time because sam riley was doing a Q&A after the film). its still playing in NYC. I think it opened on even more screens up here - but was only in DC for a limited release.
HeyLa

Christine Moritz

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
It played for only a week in D.C. (at the Landmark E Street), not counting a one-off the night before it officially opened (at the AFI, as part of the European Union Film Festival).

I thought it was pretty good -- well acted and nicely shot (in black and white).  And I was impressed to learn that the actors had performed most of the songs themselves.

K8teebug

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
I missed it by one day when it played in Baltimore.

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
Great flick, I really liked it a lot.
oword

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »
I wonder when the Fall Out Boy, Beastie Boys or Perl Jam  movie will come out?

930clubber

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »
i saw control at landmark.  as others have said, the movie is well made.  my complaint is with the life of ian curtis.  his character is weak, a leaf in the wind, which could be tolerated or even savored if accompanied by insight into its origins.

saintangelsin

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 03:48:00 am »
I got a free ticket to the movie. It played for two weeks at the landmark actually! (they extended for a week thank goodness) I really enjoyed the movie. It's not something I would watch on a regular basis unlike 24 hour party people. As a film, Anton Corbijn did a fantastic job as director. The actors I think did a really good job as well. While there were some great moments in the movie, it was also quite emotionally draining. I highly recomend it for people who do like Joy Division. I think non-fans wouldn't stand the movie.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
EXCELLENT film. Saw it up at AFI. Awesome!

Christine Moritz

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by saintangelsin:
  I got a free ticket to the movie. It played for two weeks at the landmark actually! (they extended for a week thank goodness)
You're right -- "Control" did indeed play for two weeks.

For some reason I was thinking that it, like "Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten," had played for only a week.