Author Topic: Ft Reno '06  (Read 14176 times)

edbert

Re: Ft Reno '06
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 09:54:00 am »
WSC has always been turned down
Wow that sucks... but maybe the mosquitos prefer the Dischord sound; lets remember that they're in the majority.
 My favorite band last year was "The Rude Staircase"; a crazy and fun set!

redsock

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
Don??t hold your breath waiting for Exit Clov Betty, it won??t happen. I imagine they fall into the same crowd as WSC. Ft. Reno is very disappointing in some ways, and no, not just because my girlfriend??s band never gets to play it. The series is really a microcosm of what is wrong ?? and a little right ?? about the DC scene.

It is without a doubt, an old-boys network. Partially because of who books the series, Amanda Mackaye (I??m assuming she is still doing it, though others have done it in the past), and the fact that she obviously has a huge connection to the ??Dischord? crowd. The same bands are on the series year after year, and while that is all fine and good, some additional variety would be nice. I tried to look up the last few year??s schedules on archive,org, and while last year wasn??t there, many of the bands are repeats (Gist, Sentai, Citygoats, Metropolitan, Hard Tomorrows). Good bands the lot of them, but every year?

In some ways I guess it is nice to have an homage to the ??old-school? DisChord heyday, especially since the Ft. Reno series really came from all that. But completely shutting out a number of bands who are very much a part of the DC scene right now seems alienating and unproductive, and builds frustration and friction among bands who aren??t allowed in. I could go on, as I really find the musical dynamic in this city fascinating. But my point here was merely to call out the fact I think the Ft. Reno series is flawed, but since the people putting it together reside in a self-created bubble, nothing about it is likely to change.

redsock

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
Just so we're clear, I do still like it though, I just wish there were more variety.

edbert

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 11:06:00 am »
I totally appreciate the Fort Reno organizer(s) for volunteering their time to bring free live music, whatever it is.  I've discovered some good bands by going there in the past and probably will again this year

brennser

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 11:23:00 am »
good points redsock - I wouldn't mind seeing the Clov or Cedars outside on a sunny evening

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 01:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Don??t hold your breath waiting for Exit Clov Betty, it won??t happen. I imagine they fall into the same crowd as WSC. Ft. Reno is very disappointing in some ways, and no, not just because my girlfriend??s band never gets to play it. The series is really a microcosm of what is wrong ?? and a little right ?? about the DC scene.

It is without a doubt, an old-boys network. Partially because of who books the series, Amanda Mackaye (I??m assuming she is still doing it, though others have done it in the past), and the fact that she obviously has a huge connection to the ??Dischord? crowd. The same bands are on the series year after year, and while that is all fine and good, some additional variety would be nice. I tried to look up the last few year??s schedules on archive,org, and while last year wasn??t there, many of the bands are repeats (Gist, Sentai, Citygoats, Metropolitan, Hard Tomorrows). Good bands the lot of them, but every year?

In some ways I guess it is nice to have an homage to the ??old-school? DisChord heyday, especially since the Ft. Reno series really came from all that. But completely shutting out a number of bands who are very much a part of the DC scene right now seems alienating and unproductive, and builds frustration and friction among bands who aren??t allowed in. I could go on, as I really find the musical dynamic in this city fascinating. But my point here was merely to call out the fact I think the Ft. Reno series is flawed, but since the people putting it together reside in a self-created bubble, nothing about it is likely to change.
totally and completelly 400% agree with you.  i love fort reno, but yeah, it would be nice to see a bit more variation there.  the fact that bands like WSC and Exit Clov are getting shut out is just absurd.  i'm pretty sure that Amanda Mackaye still does booking.

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »
And now that you've pointed it out, redsock, it should be on DCist by the end of the day and then it will surely make it's way back to the organizers.
27>34

Fico

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

Couldn't have said it better Redsox..we didn't even bother applying this year for the same reasons...a shame really cos there are a bunch of bands who'd luv to play it..specially since its pretty hard for local bands to target the under 21 crowd unless you are lucky enough to play the BC/9:30 3 to 4 times a year..

brennser

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 02:07:00 pm »
can't we do anything about it? lots of TBAs still on the sched?

as smackie said, maybe DCist will 'borrow' this and make it one of their burning issues

redsock

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  And now that you've pointed it out, redsock, it should be on DCist by the end of the day and then it will surely make it's way back to the organizers.
Wait, was that sarcasm? I thought DCist only pays attention to us for concert announcments.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 02:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
   i'm pretty sure that Amanda Mackaye still does booking.
Its her. . One of my good friend's college friend got his tape directly to her somehow and chatted her up. . and they're due to play.  Their name has escaped me though.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Graace:

Originally posted by you be betty:
   i'm pretty sure that Amanda Mackaye still does booking.
Its her. . One of my good friend's college friend got his tape directly to her somehow and chatted her up. . and they're due to play.  Their name has escaped me though. [/b]
Yep.  And I know she definitely works at all the shows.  
 Who on here is a DCist spy?

ggw

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »
Nothing against DCist or the Fort Reno organizers, but those two subsets of Washingtonians seem very socially distinct.  I mean, is DCist going to invite Mark Andersen to one of their wine tasting soirees?

anarchist

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 12:49:00 am »
ft reno has been going for almost 40 yrs.  when did the discord crowd take over?

kcjones119

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 10:09:00 am »
Another one not on the list above from Dischord's website:
 July 6th - Antelope, French Toast

I'm all for complaining in most cases but Fort Reno is free and the volunteer organizers put a lot of work into it.

Also an important point, some of these bands that are being mentioned as being shut out might have bigger heads than you think and may demand specific nights, openers, etc that just can't be accomidated.

And if it gets to the point where bands are giving up and not even submitting, how do you hope to change the situation?

I'm not saying this is the be all, end all, Ft. Reno is perfect, argument, but I wish people would appreciate it a little more for what it is.

So, to quote those awful old radio commercials: "Not a sermon, Just a Thought"