Author Topic: Secret Machines.  (Read 4833 times)

snailhook

Re: Secret Machines.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2005, 06:46:00 am »
kosmo, i agree whole-heartedly on cardinal. that is an excellent chamber-pop record. richard davies is another songwriter who is often forgotten, but should be a household name.

frat boys at secret machines?!? those fuckers are just infiltrating everywhere.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  frat boys at secret machines?!? those fuckers are just infiltrating everywhere.
they were on mtv quite a few times, even had a 30 minute live show on there ... i'd expect the suburbanites to be coming out of the woodwork for them ...
(o|o)

shtee223

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2005, 05:52:00 pm »
i thought the show was really good but the first wave intact/nowhere again encore is what made it excellent.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2005, 08:30:00 pm »
Of the two shows this weekend, I enjoyed the Ambulance Ltd. show much more. But Secret Machines was still fun. Just not as moving or exciting for me.

But first...Autolux. After listening to their album, I found their songs to be intriguing but a bit same. I thought they did a better job live of pulling out the differences. I liked it when they were loud with the layers of sound and guitars. The male vocals were better than the female. She seemed less comfortable with a mic. I like their style of music, so I knew what was coming. Walls of sound. Hell, yeah! The crowd was a little less patient with the artsy-ness of it all.

My opinion of Moving Units is the same as when I saw them open up for Blur. That band is all about the drummer. He is technically one of the best I've seen. And he has flair. He's very good. But other than the drumming, I find them very boring. The singing style resembles some kind of forlorn droning. The bass is barely there. I'd had enough after one song.

As for Secret Machines, I thought they delivered a strong set. The lights were excellent. The sound was intense. But I realized that they are a band that I only need to see once with each album. I didn't feel like I got anything new this time around, if that makes any sense. But the encore did kick ass. It saved the show for me.

kosmo, I heard several comments in the crowd about your choice of songs. All positive. And during one song, I looked up at the balcony and saw someone singing along. Great job!

Samantha

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2005, 09:35:00 pm »
Kosmo, I had a feeling it was you, when I stopped and listened for a second and went "hey, they're playing cool shit tonight."

I got there just before Autolux started and left after a few songs of Moving Units.  I only came to see Autolux.  Because they are one of my favourite bands, I can't give a very unbiased review of the show.  I thought they rocked.  I was sucked in and grooving through the whole show.  I stood right in front of Eugene Goreshter, the bassist/singer.  He was amusing.  Carla the dummer is my heroine.  I really adore her.  She's beautiful, talented, and she just fucking rocks.  I love her sweet, shy voice.

So basically, bottom line, I *HEART* Autolux show.  I CAN'T WAIT FOR MAY!!!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2005, 08:59:00 am »
thanks for the kind words about the dj set, and the feedback about how the crowd was reacting.  one downside of being way up in the dj booth is it's hard to guage the audiences reaction. but then again being up there also means not having to deal with people making requests... mellow is a great way to go, although it meant saving I Am Kloot's "Life In A Day" for another time.  Now there is a song which leaps off an album of great stuff...
T.Rex

beedubyah

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
I will echo the great show sentiments as well...

Secret Machines really lived up to my expectations.  Solid musicians all of them.  Theyre able to create an incredible wall of sound for only 3 people.  May have dragged just a hair in the middle, but they more than made up for it with their encore.  Really amazing....I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these guys...

I found Autolux and Moving Units to be entertaining as well.  Liked the stage entrance by the Moving Units with just the one guy coming out, playing bass guitar.  Not a dynamic enough lead singer/voice to really break from the norm, in my opinion...

Im really on a hot streak with my last 3 shows.

The Music/Kasabian
 Wilco
 Secret Machines

All fantastic shows