Author Topic: Ambulance Ltd Roll Call  (Read 5003 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Ambulance Ltd Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mr. Eff:
  According to VHS or Beta's website, they are co-headlining this tour with Ambulance. Also, according to the VHS site, VOB will be closing the show at the Black Cat. There's one opening act, then Ambulance LTD, then VOB.
shite.

good catch, thanks for passing it along.
(o|o)

LRHippo

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 12:43:00 pm »
I'll be there, but are we sure on the order of things? THe Black Cat site sure makes it appear that Ambulance is the closer...

mr_eff

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by LRHippo:
  I'll be there, but are we sure on the order of things? THe Black Cat site sure makes it appear that Ambulance is the closer...
It's entirely possible that the VOB site is wrong. But in my search, the only information I came across specifying a closer came from them. Every other site was ambiguous on the topic.

The Black Cat web site isn't always known for its accuracy. They had Menomena's name misspelled for a month before fixing it.

I'm going to get there by 10:00 just to be safe, either way.

LRHippo

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »
ANd there is a 3rd band too, right? So if doors are 9:30, first band goes on about 10:00ish, Ambulance goes on ~11:00? Just trying to plan the arrival.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 01:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by LRHippo:
  ANd there is a 3rd band too, right? So if doors are 9:30, first band goes on about 10:00ish, Ambulance goes on ~11:00? Just trying to plan the arrival.
that's about right for a triple bill weekend at black cat

doors -- 9:30
 band 1 -- 10:00
 band 2 -- 11:00
 band 3 -- 12:00

but who knows ...
(o|o)

Jaguär

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2005, 01:09:00 am »
There's a chance that I might be there.

eilo97

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2005, 04:52:00 pm »
it's never been an issue for me since i JUST got a camera, but does anyone know the black cat's policy on taking photos?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »
I've always been able to take my camera into the club with no problems.

eilo97

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 08:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  I've always been able to take my camera into the club with no problems.
cool.  thanks!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
pretty good show last night ...

only weird / annoying thing was that it didn't look like vhs or beta had time to do a soundcheck, so they spent 15 minutes before their set doing "check 1, check 2" ... they were also completely humorless, and if you're up in front of a sold-out show doing mic checks for 15 minutes, you better say something to the crowd instead of "check 1, check 2"

i would've even settled for a beavis and butthead:
 "testes, testes ... one, two ... three?"

ambulance did indeed headline, and they were good, sounded just like they had in the past ... new song was really blues-y, maybe they're heading in that direction.
(o|o)

Bartelby

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
If I hadn't prepaid tickets for Thurs. night's Ash/Bravery show, I wouldn't bother.  I am a big Ambulance fan, and I was really saddened by how HORRIBLE the sound system was last night.  I felt really bad for them - and their fans - and I think they couldn't get off the stage fast enuf.  I was standing by Benji - lead guitar - and he could only get his guitar to function about 50% of the time.  Marcus' voice was so distorted from the left speakers, it sounded like he borrowed the voice distortion gizmo from VHS not Beta.

I can tolerate bad ventilation; toilets consistently so flooded you have to roll your jeans up before you enter the bathroom; surley bartenders, crowds of little pre-teen munchkins dancing on my feet; and a totally whack ticketing/will call system designed by the most anti-customer manager of all times, but FIX THE FU*KING sound system if you want to run a music venue; or just turn the joint into a meat market for frat boys and sorority sisters. BTW: The reason VHSnotBeta did a fifteen minute sound check was because NOT once in those 15 minutes did all their monitors/amps/mics work together. When they got one up, another would go out, and then they had an amp. fail in the middle of the set.

Yup, I know the tickets are cheap; but the drinks ain't; and teeny boppers only won't pay Bernie's bills.  End of Rant on the "Smelly Cat". (PS I criticized the Wrens for screwing around balancing sound/tuning/feed back during their set.  I apologize to them:  I know what they were facing, and I'm sorry for them too...)

helicon1

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
I've complained many times about Black Cat's sound system; But this time it was actually decent from where I was standing (Stage Right). Both sets were good and I enjoyed the brevity of Ambulance's set.

The sound system I didn't enjoy was the constant chatter of people who clearly had no intention of listening attentively. I stood next to a girl instructing her friend how to operate a cell phone for 10 solid minutes. just amazing.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2005, 01:41:00 pm »
Well I thought Ambulance sounded great tonight, although this was only the first time i had seen any of these bands. Vhs Or Beta was definitely not sounding so great (and I was really looking forward to seeing them). I was more towards the center, middle half. I was surprised at how many people were talking through the Robbers set as well as Vhs Or Beta's set. Simply amazes me why people pay to see shows and talk throughout the whole set! And is it just me, or did the crowd seem really young. Either that or my friends and I are now a lot older than we realize  ;)
HeyLa

Bartelby

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  Well I thought Ambulance sounded great tonight, although this was only the first time i had seen any of these bands.    ;)  
If you liked Ambulance last night; you'll LOVE them when you hear 'em at a venue with a working sound system. I think a blown speaker wasn't evident nor did it seem to bother VHS not Beta 'cause of the nature of their music...but that was the first time I'd heard them.

lionforce5

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
VHS or Beta sounded great, despite the shoddy system.  Someone needs to tell them next time they're here though that people in DC are too cool to dance, even to dance music.

Ambulance wasn't bad.  The set was a bit longer than last time, and I'm not sure how I feel about the new song, but overall the performance was good.  I get the impression that they're trying as hard as they can to avoid being buttonholed into the whole "dream-pop/shogaze" label...as if that's a BAD thing...  :)