Author Topic: New Music Club at 9th & U?  (Read 4942 times)

Bags

Re: New Music Club at 9th & U?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2004, 04:12:00 pm »
sorry, Mank.  Thought you were talking about the guy outside the Black Cat!  Didn't realize there were so many guys hanging out music clubs on a regular basis...  I missed the Nation homeless guy thread.  With Nation, don't know how it's not the whole 'hood that doesn't freak folks out!
   ;)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2004, 10:08:00 am »
there are only two now, but DC9 is adding bands to the calendar... there is also a link to mp3 stream of tunage being featured at the club.  the songs mentioned on the music page are included.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2004, 11:12:00 am »
I understand it's so the DJs can play, but still, this is odd:

no advance tickets are sold
 Sun-Wed first band goes on at 9:00pm
 Thur-Sat first band goes on at 8:00pm

mankie

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:

I'm not sure that's going to work, opening band starting at 8pm on Saturdays, a bit early for a weekend...no? Most folk don't even venture out till after 9'ish on Saturday, or go for dinner first. I could be full of crap though because it's been quite a while since I was out every Saturday.

I used to go to a place in Plymouth (UK) that had a DJ early, then the band around 10 then the DJ after...the draw to get folk in for the early DJ session was cheap booze and no cover. It was no cover before 9 and reduced booze prices till the band came on. Seemed to work very well for them.

For GGW and Rhett, I know I'm full of crap all the time so don't bother with the predictable post please.

ggw

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
 I know I'm full of crap all the time
The diagnosis is the first step in the treatment process.

Bags

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2004, 11:31:00 am »

I'm not sure that's going to work, opening band starting at 8pm on Saturdays, a bit early for a weekend...no? Most folk don't even venture out till after 9'ish on Saturday, or go for dinner first. I could be full of crap though because it's been quite a while since I was out every Saturday.
 [/b]
No, I think you're right, mank.  All this says to me is that they'll focus mainly on local bands that don't get much play in other clubs (ie, Black Cat backstage or Velvet Lounge).  Because the bands are definitely taking a back seat to the DJ.  

This online streaming of the DJ set is pretty interesting, as well...  Have the folks that have opened this place been involved in other DC ventures?  Does anyone know?

redsock

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2004, 11:58:00 am »

[/b]
No, I think you're right, mank.  All this says to me is that they'll focus mainly on local bands that don't get much play in other clubs (ie, Black Cat backstage or Velvet Lounge).  Because the bands are definitely taking a back seat to the DJ.  

This online streaming of the DJ set is pretty interesting, as well...  Have the folks that have opened this place been involved in other DC ventures?  Does anyone know? [/b]
The owner I know is/was in a local band, but I don't think he ever was involved in anything like this. Dunno about the other folks, but often people who get involved in projects like this are always involved in projects like this.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2004, 12:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Dunno about the other folks, but often people who get involved in projects like this are always involved in projects like this.
Now there's a good conclusion!

redsock

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:

Originally posted by redsock:
  Dunno about the other folks, but often people who get involved in projects like this are always involved in projects like this.
Now there's a good conclusion! [/b]
Let me translate...people who start clubs and nightspots often have a history of starting other clubs and nightspots.

ewriter3

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2004, 06:34:00 pm »
There are 4 guys who are partners and own DC9.  Two of them were/are involved with The Big Hunt.  The other two have other DC projects, but... I can't remember which ones.

Bags

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2004, 06:41:00 pm »
Hot dog, love to support the Big Hunt guys...once tooms finds out, he may well travel back from NYC just to patronize their new establishment!

Also, bodes well for the place as management has been able to keep the B.H. going and popular for so long...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2004, 08:25:00 am »
I love Big Hunt.  Wish I could make it there more often.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2004, 09:41:00 pm »
the calendar has been updated  www.dcnine.com
T.Rex

walkman

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2004, 10:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  the calendar has been updated  www.dcnine.com
March 6, 2004  The Flesh (NYC) w/The Desert Fathers (NYC)

Wow that's a great get.  Both bands are fantastic...and could easily end up playing the Black Cat this time next year.

Bags

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2004, 01:40:00 am »
Damn, walkie, last thing I need is another show on the 6th!  I'm so torn between  the Bigger Lovers and Undertones...

By the way, I am going to be a HUGE fan of this place, DC9.  I was there tonight before the FoW show, and it's just the bomb.  A crazy biker rock band was upstairs, which is a great space for a band and hanging out to a DJ.  Bartender's great (and has worked at or managed some of my favorite DC bars over the ages -- 15 Minutes, Crow Bar...).  AND, the way it kicks Velvet's ass is that there's a BAR UPSTAIRS.  Wow, you can order a drink *while* watching the band.

I'm not slagging on Velvet, though -- it's filled a great niche in the scene, and I'll keep watching out for shows there as well.