Author Topic: this is absurd  (Read 4770 times)

Re: this is absurd
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »
I emailed BMI, SESAC and ASCAP because I have nothing better to do at work. If I get an official answer I'll post it here.
xoxo

vansmack

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  These laws aren't anything new.  I find it hard to believe most people in the business don't know about them.
I agree, they've been around forever.  That's why they invented - Muzak to take care of the licensing and music for you.  About 10 years ago they went after bars that had their own jukeboxes and weren't paying the license.
27>34

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »
RE: Borders and music stores

Under BMI's current guidelines, record stores are exempt if the sole purpose of the performance of music is to demonstrate and promote the sale of the CD's and tapes that are offered for sale.

If, however, in the future you decide to incorporate background music in your establishment, a music performance agreement would be required.
xoxo

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
I agree that paying for the right to play music in ones business establishment is fair... However, there has been on occasion reports of thuggish behavior on the part of these organizations to collect their fees.  One begins to wonder how much money truly gets back into the hands of artists when you hear of these orgs having people calling several times a day in order to collect.
T.Rex