Author Topic: Decemberists  (Read 16753 times)

Darth Ed

Re: Decemberists
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 01:48:00 pm »
I see someone got a thesaurus for Christmas. Actually, I'm envious. I wish I could write like that.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  I dunno, any band that is up to playing venues the size of the 9:30 Club is probably not really in major need of donations to replace their stolen instruments.

This same thing happened to BR549 last year, twice. Insurance paid both times. It seems it's not an uncommon thing, and to not have insurance on the stuff is just retarded. I feel bad for them, but not that bad.
someone posted a very similar response on the dandy warhols message board and was called an asshole. amazing to suggest insurance to a band, and in turn youre called an asshole!
HeyLa

Bags

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
Thieves Who Took the Decemberist's Gear
 The Willamette Weekly

BY PETE HUNT

This week's Rogue falls into the to-be-identified-later category. But rest assured, the Rogue's gallery has a slot waiting for the thieves who took the Decemberists' gear, if and when the "band-its'' are arrested. And for any would-be buyers of the Portland band's stolen instruments, the Rogue desk won't forget you, either.

When the Decemberists took the stage the night of St. Patrick's Day at the Crystal Ballroom, fans learned that a trailer packed with nearly every piece of the band's equipment had been stolen from outside a house near the Aladdin Theater. And this is no guitar-bass-drums skeleton crew; there's also the accordion, the banjo, the dulcimer, the mandolin....

The Decemberists got back to Portland after a gig in Eugene and parked the trailer about 3 am Thursday. Later that morning, no more trailer. Police found it in Clackamas, minus $40,000 worth of instruments and equipment, plus a good chunk of the band's merchandise.

The trailer had been sitting empty in the same spot for a week before the Eugene show. "In my opinion, we were targeted," says Decemberists road manager "Kong." "These guys were pros."

The loss was immense, but so was the outpouring of help from Lea Krueger, the Shins, the Dandy Warhols and other musicians. The Martin Guitar Company offered 6- and 12-string guitars on permanent loan.

And the band played on. Lead singer Colin Meloy told the Crystal crowd it was a shame to have gear stolen in your hometown but lauded fellow musicians for helping out. The band played a full set using instruments from opening act Okkervil River. The next night they played in Seattle, though they postponed a Saturday show in Vancouver, B.C., in order to regroup.

Fans of the Decemberists' folksy, yarn-spinning music were outraged by the theft. On the band's online message board, normally docile posters were in favor of castration for the perpetrators.

The band posted a stolen-gear list on its website (www.decemberists.com) and asked fans to be on the lookout.

Originally published 3/23/2005

Find this story at www.wweek.com/story.php?story=6138

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  I see someone got a thesaurus for Christmas. Actually, I'm envious. I wish I could write like that.
i agree ... whenever i read the post's cd reviews i realize why i'm writing for express ...
(o|o)

jkeisenh

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 02:04:00 pm »
i picked up the new album last night and love it-- it's really the best of Castaways.  One song is Tain-y, but the rest is more traditional Melloy.

And isn't it great how many of the reviews are all about the lyrics and barely mention the music?  It kills me.  Get over it, man.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 02:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
 And isn't it great how many of the reviews are all about the lyrics and barely mention the music?  It kills me.  Get over it, man.
hm?

i love the band, but my favorite aspect of them is colin's lyrics ... musically they often seem like they're rewriting the same song, which certainly isn't a bad thing, but it's nothing to write home about, in my opinion ... his lyrics, on the other hand, are some of the best in rock today ...
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

Originally posted by Darth Ed:
i agree ... whenever i read the post's cd reviews i realize why i'm writing for express ... [/b]
You too can write like that.

Lesson 1 - All About Alliteration:

Colin Meloy is a man of many

an approximation of a British accent, has an acute affinity

songs are stuffed with words that would make a Scrabble player salivate

populated by prostitutes, princes and pirates

songs populated by prostitutes, princes and pirates, spies and street vendors coveting "silk Arabian thread," all in service of songs

jkeisenh

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  i love the band, but my favorite aspect of them is colin's lyrics ... musically they often seem like they're rewriting the same song, which certainly isn't a bad thing, but it's nothing to write home about, in my opinion ... his lyrics, on the other hand, are some of the best in rock today ...
Yes, but you have to agree that a music review really aught to say something about the music.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 08:57:00 am »
It's a real drag when the lyrics get in the way of perfectly crafted melody with nice arranged instrumentation.  Who needs lyrics when you've got organs, violins, percussion and brass adding the finishing touches.

If "The Sporting Life" doesn't get those Indie kids dancing then they are truly rhythmically challendged.  It's nice to have a new kicky indie pop song, because one can only use "Legal Man" by Belle & Sebstaine so many times.

Lets hope it dosen't take 40 years for them to give this record the same full orchestra, etc treatment offered Pet Sounds recently.  Rockin' out at 80 is going to be a bit tough...

I do however like the lyrics of "16 Military Wives", then again I has already heard that one when the album got leaked.  GGW is correct in his assessment that this record represents what the Decemberist do best, only even better.
T.Rex

suburbanstylee

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
Always check tickets.com before 930.com.  I got Arcade Fire passes from tickets.com before there was any mention of their preformance on this site.

ggw

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 I do however like the lyrics of "16 Military Wives"
Download the video

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 10:45:00 am »
Originally posted by fro:
  Always check tickets.com before 930.com.  I got Arcade Fire passes from tickets.com before there was any mention of their preformance on this site.
be very very quiet with such information keep it on a strictly need to know basis   ;)
T.Rex

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
article by Harvey Danger member/Long Winters member/KEXP dj Sean Nelson

http://www.thestranger.com/current/feature.html

Jaguär

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 06:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Originally posted by fro:
be very very quiet with such information keep it on a strictly need to know basis     ;)   [/b]
This is so true!
 Remember, the more who know, the less likely you will be able to get into the early batch before the general public. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that.

eltee

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 06:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
 This is so true!
No kidding. I'm not so nice anymore. Ever since I was screwed out of Alejandro tickets. (And I'm the one who announced the show(s)!)