Author Topic: Decemberists  (Read 16794 times)

ggw

Re: Decemberists
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2005, 12:57:00 pm »

ggw

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2005, 01:27:00 am »
MUSIC REVIEW

Decemberists fun in cocky sort of way

By Joshua Klein
 Special to the Chicago Tribune
 Published April 9, 2005

To call the rise of the Decemberists meteoric would be a bit of an overstatement; save such hyperbole for indie cause celebre the Arcade Fire. Yet the Portland, Ore., folk-rock outfit hit some sort of milestone by handily selling out the Metro Thursday night.

As demonstrated by the band's set, however, the Decemberists aren't nearly as clever and exciting as the band must think itself.

Erudite, twee and more than a little smug, songwriter Colin Meloy spins shaggy dog yarns full of exotic locales, big words and strange bedfellows, more interested in stylized affectation and fantasy than melody or sentiment.

The band, with its matching khaki and orange outfits, was with him every step of the way, but anyone not on the same wavelength as they were could easily feel that their whimsical constructions veered dangerously close to insufferable.

At least Meloy and his cohorts (including violinist and all around charming cheerleader Petra Haden) didn't take themselves as seriously live as they do on their earnest recordings. Wordy songs such as "The Infanta" and "16 Military Wives," from the group's proudly pretentious third album, "Picaresque," were endearing if not quite rousing, though just as often Meloy's literary dramas dragged.

But even at their fun best, as with "July, July!" and the Coleridge-meets-Melville sea shanty epic "The Mariner's Revenge Song," the group's smarty-pants, relentlessly precious and self-consciously quirky music came across like a folksy community theater approximation of They Might Be Giants. And as anyone familiar with that band knows, one is really enough.

Opening was the similarly aligned Okkervil River, from Austin, Texas, another six-piece and -- along with Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes and others -- part of an increasingly popular wave of shambling and endearingly precocious folk-rock.

Singer Will Sheff, prone to emotional blurts and, like his bandmates, electric and constantly in motion with nervous energy, grows bolder and more confident with each album.

Given that Okkervil River's latest album, "Black Sheep Boy," was only just released, fans were understandably more excited about older songs such as "Red" and "Kansas City," two of several crooked waltzes in the band's rapidly expanding repertoire.

While the crowd looked as if it had its fill by the end of the Decemberists' set, the bespectacled and scarf-adorned audience was dismayed when Okkervil River's tantalizing opening slot sadly came to a halt just as it was gathering steam.

jkeisenh

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2005, 09:40:00 am »
ya know, i really hate when writers who don't like the music to start with review live shows.  lots of his criticism should have been addressed in a CD review, not in a live review.  if you don't like the stuff, why go to the show?  it makes no sense.

amnesiac

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
I'm trying to get my friend to come to this show with me, and so I'm making a mix to introduce him to the band. Any tracklisting suggestions?

ratioci nation

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
Originally posted by buddha:
  I'm trying to get my friend to come to this show with me, and so I'm making a mix to introduce him to the band. Any tracklisting suggestions?
a start:

july july
 legionnaire's lament
 billy liar
 apology song
 Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect
 Los Angeles, I'm Yours
 Red Right Ankle
 The Chimbley Sweep
 We Both Go Down Together
 16 Military Wives

jkeisenh

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
the tain!

markie

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
I'd go with Pollards choices.

as alternatives,

song for myla goldberg

leslie anne levine

my mother was a Chinese trapese artist.

a cautionary song

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
i'm partial to the sporting life
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
Pollard's and Markie's choices are good.  Except from the latest album I would pick:

Eli, the Barrow Boy
 The Engine Driver

amnesiac

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2005, 11:22:00 am »
Good choices, but I still need to pick up the 5 Songs EP. I definitely need to add The Engine Driver and On The Bus Mall.

markie

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
  Good choices, but I still need to pick up the 5 Songs EP.
Apology song might be one of my most favoritest Decemberists songs.

I have only seen it played once though.

amnesiac

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2005, 11:42:00 am »
Originally posted by Miss MaRpIe:

Good choices, but I still need to pick up the 5 Songs EP.
Apology song might be one of my most favoritest Decemberists songs.

I have only seen it played once though. [/b]
I agree - great song. Haven't heard the recorded version though. I just remember it from Colin's solo show at Iota.

Bags

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
I am LOVING 16 Military Wives these days...

jkeisenh

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »
we have now successfully listed over 50% of their reasonably available catalogue.

nkotb

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
What of their's isn't reasonably available?  The Billy Liar single and "Human Behavior"?

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  we have now successfully listed over 50% of their reasonably available catalogue.