Author Topic: SONIC YOUTH ROLL CALL - Early Show  (Read 15830 times)

slowgraffiti

Re: SONIC YOUTH ROLL CALL - Early Show
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »
oh yeah,
 great show

Vas Deferens

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 11:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:
  oh yeah,
 great show
I thought it was an OK show. Not much older songs. The newer songs sound like throwaway B sides.
(_|_)

slowgraffiti

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 11:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:

oh yeah,
 great show
I thought it was an OK show. Not much older songs. The newer songs sound like throwaway B sides. [/b]
i was expecting mostly rather ripped so i wasn't bummed about that. 100% made everything okay for me.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 11:24:00 pm »

Originally posted by Joe M.:

oh yeah,
 great show
I thought it was an OK show. Not much older songs. The newer songs sound like throwaway B sides. [/b]
i was expecting mostly rather ripped so i wasn't bummed about that. 100% made everything okay for me. [/b]
oh yeah and Yoko sang too much...I need more Thurston................
(_|_)

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 11:35:00 pm »

Originally posted by you be betty:
  not the youth...just me and Grace
false [/b]
There were so many kids there. . even younger than Betty and I.  It was surprising.

It was an excellent first Sonic Youth experience for me.  I think my neck hurts from staring up at Thurston.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2006, 11:41:00 pm »
it was SO GOOD!
 y'all are whack

then again...it was my first Sonic Youth, so i didn't have much to compare it to...but holy balls..

Justin Demmerle

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 11:52:00 pm »
Yea, Thurston was amazing. I want him to tell us more stories about 'grits...that were historic'. Plus the music/feedback was amazing. props to ranaldo for breaking out a bow on that one song.

slowgraffiti

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2006, 12:00:00 am »
Originally posted by justind:
  Yea, Thurston was amazing. I want him to tell us more stories about 'grits...that were historic'. Plus the music/feedback was amazing. props to ranaldo for breaking out a bow on that one song.
did the bow even work?

matts

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 12:28:00 am »
I thought it was great.  It started out fairly low energy, but they started to really hit stride about half way in.  100% and the other song from Dirty were worth the price of admission by themselves.

I haven't heard Rather Ripped yet, but am pretty inspired to pick it up.  

Anyone know the complete lyrics or general meaning of Do You Believe in Rapture?  Please tell me my favorite band isn't Jesus freaks.

Darth Ed

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 12:48:00 am »
I agree with Matts. The show started slowly. I found Kim's slow-tempo, deep-voiced singing almost somnambulent at the beginning. I'm not sure if it was me (because I came straight from work and maybe wasn't in the proper mood yet) or the new material (which hasn't had time to grow on me yet). But right around a half hour into the show, it really picked up and the rest of the show was excellent. I would have liked to have had more Thurston songs as well. They were the highlights of the show as far as I'm concerned.

I left work early and I still missed Be Your Own Pet. Were they any good?

anarchist

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 02:42:00 am »
if you were forced to the first show i would ask for my $ back.  the 2nd show was much better.  better sound and playing.  mosh pit and lots of stage diving.  some stagedivers actually hugged tm + lr. some fat guy from the audience was on stage for the entire last encore doing some weird stuff.  people were also smoking weed.  lots of old dc punk dignitaries in the house.  best audience comment of the night was "i spent $25 to see eric's trip".

anarchist

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 02:44:00 am »
oh yeah, they played the entire blue cheer album between pet and sy.

snailhook

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 03:20:00 am »
that and amon duul 2's yeti. and neil young's on the beach after the set. there aren't many better albums than those three.

bearman🐻

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006, 08:49:00 am »
I was underwhelmed by the first show, didn't see the second one, but if they played Eric's Trip then I'll be PISSED. We got PCH, Drunken Butterfly, and 100%. That was about it. I think I'm missing another one, but can't remember what it was. What older stuff did they play for the second show?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 08:51:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I was underwhelmed by the first show, didn't see the second one, but if they played Eric's Trip then I'll be PISSED. We got PCH, Drunken Butterfly, and 100%. That was about it. I think I'm missing another one, but can't remember what it was. What older stuff did they play for the second show?
Eric's Trip was played per the SY official board.
(_|_)