Author Topic: Music on YouTube  (Read 23813 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Music on YouTube
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 10:02:00 am »

SPARX

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  Slowdive - "Souvlaki Space Station" (live)
Nice!

Fico

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
Best * Interviewee * Ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipXqS0JnYz0

SPARX

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 12:37:00 am »

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 11:00:00 am »

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »
27>34

SalParadise

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 06:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcNfRwzRilM

a kind of weird homemade music video set to the Magnetic Fields' "Long Forgotten Fairytale" and set in Cuba (i think)
love it.

Relaxer

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 10:37:00 pm »
Who knew the Osmonds rocked? I've had this riff in my head for a week now.
  Crazy Horses
oword

Bags

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 09:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  Who knew the Osmonds rocked?
  Crazy Horses
I did...that's Jay singing at the beginning and doing the semi-chicken dance.  He was the rebel, the rocker.  Then that's Merrill singing the higher parts.

I don't even want to mention how many Osmond Bros. albums I had.  Okay, it was just two.  Then there were the Donny and Marie albums, and the Donny solo.  But I was only 8, 9 years old.  Keep that in mind!

Too funny -- this is about "The Plan," an album from 1973 I remember buying at K-mart for $4.88 when I was 9 (several years after it was released!).

- - - - -
 The 1970s saw the release of countless concept albums, but few were as unusual or unexpected as this 1973 magnum opus from the Osmonds. Anyone who thinks of this family group as a bubblegum soul outfit will be bowled over by this incredibly ambitious outing, which attempts to explain the family's Mormon beliefs through a series of songs that cut across a wide variety of pop genres. The end result is a testament to the group's versatility and skills as musical craftsmen but The Plan ultimately doesn't work for a few important reasons. The first is that the songs are too serious and overblown for their own good: "Are You up There?" and "The Last Days" have solid melodies, but their preachy lyrics are too awkward and diffuse to convey the group's beliefs with any real power. The other big problem with The Plan is that it is overwhelmed by its own musical ambition: the abrupt jumps from fuzzy acid rock ("Traffic in My Mind") to orchestrated show tune-styled arias ("Before the Beginning") to frenetically bopping big band soul ("It's Alright") result in more genre-hopping than a single album can handle. That said, a few solid tunes emerge from the clutter to make an impression: "Let Me In" is a smooth, lushly orchestrated ballad whose clever lyrics can be heard both as a love song and a devotional hymn, and "Goin' Home" is a sharp, keyboard-driven rocker whose hook-laden style is reminiscent of Elton John's early-'70s tunes. Ultimately, The Plan comes off as an ambitious misfire instead of the thought-provoking epic it was obviously intended to be, but its grandiose style makes it worth a spin for Osmonds fans and anyone into unusual 1970s pop artifacts. ~ Donald A. Guarisco, All Music Guide

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
It was just a matter of time...

YouTube sued over copyright infringement
 By Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com
 Published on ZDNet News: July 18, 2006, 5:40 PM

A journalist and well-known helicopter pilot in Los Angeles has filed suit against video-sharing site YouTube, claiming that it encouraged users to violate copyright law.

Robert Tur says video he shot of the beating of trucker Reginald Denny during the 1992 Los Angeles riots was posted at YouTube without his permission and viewed more than 1,000 times. Tur says in his lawsuit, filed Friday in U.S. District Court, that YouTube is profiting from his work while hurting his ability to license his video.

"Mr. Tur's lawsuit is without merit," YouTube said in a statement. "YouTube is a service provider that complies with all the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and therefore is entitled to the full protections of the safe harbor provisions of the Act."

Passed in 1998 to protect copyright holders from technology that facilitated piracy, the DMCA also offered protection to Web service providers by limiting their liability in cases where their customers were found guilty of copyright violation.

Those in the video-sharing sector have for months expected someone to challenge YouTube in court. The San Mateo, Calif.-based company lets users post videos to its site without prescreening them, and a staggering amount of copyright video exists on the site. YouTube prohibits the uploading of such material but has also benefited in the past when someone has posted a professionally made clip that catches fire with the public.

Earlier this year, a skit from "Saturday Night Live," called "Lazy Sunday" drew large audiences to YouTube's site and generated lots of media attention before the company pulled the clip at the request of NBC.

Since learning of Tur's suit, YouTube has removed his clip, the company said in its statement. Tur didn't ask that the company remove the clip prior to filing his suit, YouTube said.

Tur is asking the court for $150,000 per violation and an injunction barring any further use of his material.
27>34

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Crazy Horses
I did...that's Jay singing at the beginning and doing the semi-chicken dance.  He was the rebel, the rocker.  Then that's Merrill singing the higher parts.
 [/b]
You're One Bad Apple, Bags.   ;)

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 10:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Crazy Horses

I don't even want to mention how many Osmond Bros. albums I had.  Okay, it was just two.  Then there were the Donny and Marie albums, and the Donny solo.  But I was only 8, 9 years old.  Keep that in mind!

Too funny -- this is about "The Plan," an album from 1973 I remember buying at K-mart for $4.88 when I was 9 (several years after it was released!).

- - - - -
 The 1970s saw the release of countless concept albums, but few were as unusual or unexpected as this 1973 magnum opus from the Osmonds. Anyone who thinks of this family group as a bubblegum soul outfit will be bowled over by this incredibly ambitious outing, which attempts to explain the family's Mormon beliefs through a series of songs that cut across a wide variety of pop genres. The end result is a testament to the group's versatility and skills as musical craftsmen but The Plan ultimately doesn't work for a few important reasons. The first is that the songs are too serious and overblown for their own good: "Are You up There?" and "The Last Days" have solid melodies, but their preachy lyrics are too awkward and diffuse to convey the group's beliefs with any real power. The other big problem with The Plan is that it is overwhelmed by its own musical ambition: the abrupt jumps from fuzzy acid rock ("Traffic in My Mind") to orchestrated show tune-styled arias ("Before the Beginning") to frenetically bopping big band soul ("It's Alright") result in more genre-hopping than a single album can handle. That said, a few solid tunes emerge from the clutter to make an impression: "Let Me In" is a smooth, lushly orchestrated ballad whose clever lyrics can be heard both as a love song and a devotional hymn, and "Goin' Home" is a sharp, keyboard-driven rocker whose hook-laden style is reminiscent of Elton John's early-'70s tunes. Ultimately, The Plan comes off as an ambitious misfire instead of the thought-provoking epic it was obviously intended to be, but its grandiose style makes it worth a spin for Osmonds fans and anyone into unusual 1970s pop artifacts. ~ Donald A. Guarisco, All Music Guide [/b]
Great post. Now I've just got to find that album.
oword

SPARX

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 09:20:00 pm »

SPARX

BookerT

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »